Thread: Registration

Default Registration

Is it necessary to register a canoe here like you would a boat? New to the state and we don't have to register canoes back home. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Explorer View Post
    Is it necessary to register a canoe here like you would a boat? New to the state and we don't have to register canoes back home. Thanks.
    DMV had me fill out powerboat type of registration for my canoe because I told them I intended to put a motor on at some point though I didn't even own one then; so they recommended I go ahead and register it as a powerboat from the get go; which I did.

Here is the information you need from the DMV who handles boat registrations in the state: http://doa.alaska.gov/dmv/reg/boat.htm

According to that site, this is what is required to be registered:

"All powered boats (including non-powered boats with auxiliary power units) used on any water of the state. (This includes all rivers, streams, and lakes, regardless of size, and all salt water within 3 miles of land.)
    All sport fishing guides are required to register both powered and non-powered boats. (AS 16.05.395)
    (Effective February 10th, 2005)"

Essentially, if you put a motor on your canoe and plan to use it in the water, it must be registered.

Hope that helps.

Yep, that is all i needed. Thanks.