Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: stuck 300 win mag case

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    15

    Default stuck 300 win mag case

    I left my Ruger M77, 300 Win Mag, with my son in Spokane a while ago. He wanted to start reloading for it so I sent my Hornady dies down to him. He had a case stick in my Hornady FS die the other day, no big deal. The friend helping him reload doesn't like Hornady so they went out and bought some RCBS FL dies. So when they started to reload again they stuck another case. They went to White Elephant to buy a stuck case tool. The guys behind the counter said that there could be a problem with my Ruger? That it could be letting the cases swell just by the belt and that's why they were having trouble. I've never heard of this problem before. Some of the cases were what I have left down there with the gun and had been reloaded 3 to 4 times. Some were new Federals that he bought and fired. The gun is an old hand-me down from my father, but has always shot fine for me, and is shooting sub moa groups for him. The friend helping with the reloading has been reloading for over 25 years and I believe know what he's doing. Sticking a case is no big issue but was just wondering about the possible gun problem.

  2. #2
    Member 1Cor15:19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dillingham, AK
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alaska1611 View Post
    I left my Ruger M77, 300 Win Mag, with my son in Spokane a while ago. He wanted to start reloading for it so I sent my Hornady dies down to him. He had a case stick in my Hornady FS die the other day, no big deal. The friend helping him reload doesn't like Hornady so they went out and bought some RCBS FL dies. So when they started to reload again they stuck another case. They went to White Elephant to buy a stuck case tool. The guys behind the counter said that there could be a problem with my Ruger? That it could be letting the cases swell just by the belt and that's why they were having trouble. I've never heard of this problem before. Some of the cases were what I have left down there with the gun and had been reloaded 3 to 4 times. Some were new Federals that he bought and fired. The gun is an old hand-me down from my father, but has always shot fine for me, and is shooting sub moa groups for him. The friend helping with the reloading has been reloading for over 25 years and I believe know what he's doing. Sticking a case is no big issue but was just wondering about the possible gun problem.
    It could be several different things, but a stuck case in a sizing die is due to lack/improper of case sizing lube at least 99 times out of 100.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Eureka MT
    Posts
    3,048

    Default

    If he is using a good lube correctly, there just won't be stuck cases. It's not your gun.

  4. #4
    Member pinehavensredrocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    759

    Default

    i like the "new" spray lube rather than the old pad method.......for me this works well and also lubes inside (slightly) the case neck. no stuck cases, no stretched cases, no collapsed case shoulder.

    give em a try.
    happy trails.
    jh

  5. #5
    Member marshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Near Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    i like the "new" spray lube rather than the old pad method.......for me this works well and also lubes inside (slightly) the case neck. no stuck cases, no stretched cases, no collapsed case shoulder. give em a try.
    Me too. I put all of my cases in a stainless steel bowl, my wife loves me...

    Then I spray a fair amount of lube on them and mix them up with my hands. Let them rest for a couple of minutes so the thin stuff that lets it spray evaporates. After a couple of minutes the remaining lube is evenly coated and ready to work.

    I have a freind that tried my method and stuck a .308 case on the first try. He didn't let the lube set for a couple of minutes before he started. If you spray and size immediately they will stick. Whatever is in the can to reduce the lube so that it sprays needs to evaporate and it only takes a couple of minutes.

    Like Pinehavensredrocket said, no dents or damage ever with this stuff. Very easy to clean up and no messy pad to deal with. You can lube as many cases as you want by dumping them in a bowl and spraying. Just mix the batch up and let stand for a couiple of minutes while you prep your other stuff.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Thanks for the reply's. I do the spray into a small plastic container my self and have only stuck one in the last 3 years. i just call my kid and the guy hes learning from does the RCBS pad and lubes that style. He also said that he didn't think that his friend lubed the cases enough.New question is, can you over lube? I not talking dripping off your cases but if you roll them on the pad and put a coating on them, could it damage the case?

  7. #7
    Member GD Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    PANC
    Posts
    1,117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alaska1611 View Post
    Thanks for the reply's. I do the spray into a small plastic container my self and have only stuck one in the last 3 years. i just call my kid and the guy hes learning from does the RCBS pad and lubes that style. He also said that he didn't think that his friend lubed the cases enough.New question is, can you over lube? I not talking dripping off your cases but if you roll them on the pad and put a coating on them, could it damage the case?
    Yes, easily. You can dent the cases with too much lube. You just have to get a feel for what is too much or too little. If you put too much on the pad, just gently wipe some off the case before you resize.

  8. #8
    Member marshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Near Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,814

    Default

    Definitely yes as previously stated.

    Think of it as a hydraulic lock situation. If you fill a cylinder on a combustion engine with water and try to start it you will bend or break a rod or crank.

    If you over lube your case and try to size it the lube will have to go somewhere. That somewhere is the dent it forms in your case.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Thanks again, I have never used the pad that came with my rock chucker. Just always used the plastic box and spray. I will pass this along to my son in Spokane.

  10. #10
    Member gunbugs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    1,382

    Default

    Been using the RCBS lube and pad for 30 years or so and have never stuck a case. I've removed dozens from dies that folks have used spray lube on.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

  11. #11
    Member 1Cor15:19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dillingham, AK
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    I've used several different lubes, but maybe ten years ago I switched to Imperial Sizing Wax and have never looked back. There are several good options (Imperial, RCBS, etc.), but the key is using a good lube appropriately. If you do that you'll not stick a case. Fail to do that and it is inevitable.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

  12. #12
    Member shphtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    1,376

    Default

    Yup, yup, once I switched to Imperial Sizing Wax never had a need to "try" something different. One of those little "snuff tins" will last 5 to 10 years depending how hard at it one is. There are numerous alternatives but prob none better .... IMO. As is true of most everything there is such a thing as "too much of a good thing" so use sparingly .... but use. Good Luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Eureka MT
    Posts
    3,048

    Default

    I have tried just about all the case lubes on the market and a bunch of stuff not made as case lube ( STP, mink oil, baby oil, castor oil and others ). My favorite for easy clean up no dents and no stuck cases is Hornady Unique case lube followed very closely by Imperial sizing wax. I stuck a couple of cases with Hornadys spray lube on the first can and now only use it for a very light spray on cases used with carbide dies. Unique and Imperial are both very hard to use wrong. Stuck cases are a thing of the past and necks can be dented but you really have to get carried away with the lube. Cleanup is as simple as a quick wipe down with a cloth or paper towel.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •