Thread: Snow Depth on the Penninsula?

Default Snow Depth on the Penninsula?

Hey,

Just wondering what the current snow depth on the Kenai Penninsula is? A buddy wants to do some exploring. If you guys can help me out I would appreciate it. The areas of interest are around Cooper Lake, Kenai Lake and Cooper Landing.

Thanks ahead of time.
    Dave

I am here is sterling and there is about 8 inches at my house now I think once you get up to cooper lake you will get a lot deeper as its higher than everything else I think kenai lake and Skilak lake are going to be about the same depth as here unless you start getting into higher elevations then its going to get deeper.
    Bring snow shoes and go anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by l@@kin_4_holes View Post
    Hey,

Just wondering what the current snow depth on the Kenai Penninsula is? A buddy wants to do some exploring. If you guys can help me out I would appreciate it. The areas of interest are around Cooper Lake, Kenai Lake and Cooper Landing.

Thanks ahead of time.
    Dave
    About 10 feet up there and there was a sighting of a Siberian tiger and the infamous Abominable Snowman. So be careful when you go up LOL...

Too much for tennis shoes and not enough for snowmachines. About 4-5" remaining on the ground in the Soldotna area after last week's warm-up and rain episode. There won't be significant differences between here and Cooper Landing at the lakes' elevations. When I went through there just over a week ago, the lake had no ice on it and there was only a few inches of snow on the ground.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

We got about five feet during the big dump, but it's settled to about half that and crusted over. Road's unmaintained, so I have 800 feet of path to shovel out and sand . Keeps ya young.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I am starting to think you have a crush on me. You stock me at work and on this site, next thing I know you will be watching me in the shower and offering me a sled ride.

Hahaha u wish u ask some off the wall questions and you don't tell people why you are asking these questions. For all you out there he wants to bear hunting. But I suspect there are no bears to be found. Don't hold your breath on the sled ride either.

Yes I am asking for this information because a friend is wanting to try for a bear this weekend. I have some knowledge of the area but have not been down that way in a while. I have tried to persuaded this friend into postponing the bear hunting until spring do to low possibilities, he is really set on trying this weekend. So instead of letting a guy go out on his own not knowing anything about hunting and the area, I am trying to put together a game plan.

My bad for trying to keep a guy from getting in trouble.

I was down ther last weekend and with the way the weather was you will be hard pressed to find a bear out and about.Not saying there isn't a bear on the move still(there are still some silvers hanging on to life)But my guess is the mast majority of the bears is dug in the side of a hill out there somewere.Best luck would be next spring.