Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask A Super Trooper???

Default Ask A Super Trooper???

This is gonna be awesome, I've already started popping popcorn!!!

What do you guys think about this new forum?

Will it be beneficial, a gong show?

What say you...

Unable to post on it...

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    Unable to post on it...
    That's not by accident! It's designed for you to submit questions as a PM, and the troopers decide which ones to answer. Otherwise it becomes a mess, which is something none of us wants. If it works like we think it will, we plan to expand it.

Hat's off to Brian on this one... he's been working on it for a while.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I submitted the long standing "hide salvage" question. My view is that if we can get it and the illuminated reticle question answered then it is a success. I am sure there are more than a few fishing questions that people would like to see hashed out. The legality of people snagging and releasing or "accidentally hooking" salmon in spawning areas like upper willow creek (north of the parks) with giant pixies is another one I would like to see hashed out...

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    Unable to post on it...
    That there proves Brian is smarter than you think!

while I think it is good to be able to pose questions to the Troopers, as they have a better understanding of the law than most (hopefully). What happens when they get a question wrong, and someone gets busted because of it?
    Use of product voids warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Yagonyonok View Post
    while I think it is good to be able to pose questions to the Troopers, as they have a better understanding of the law than most (hopefully). What happens when they get a question wrong, and someone gets busted because of it?
    Some assembly required, batteries not included, see store for details, not all customers with qualify, OAC.....check the fine print. I have no confidence in their competence as a whole. Not just a blind statement, but derived from personal experience. Bottom line, nothing on this site will help you if "they" decide you've done something wrong. Loyalty, Integrity and Courage......the Loyalty is to one another FIRST and foremost!

Any trooper would be foolish to take up questions on a public forum.

Any of the information you are looking for is in the regulations, Alaska statutes and Alaska Asministrative codes. All as easy to access as this forum. Expecting someone to give you pat answers to "gray area" issues is asking for trouble.

Any of the information you are looking for is in the regulations, Alaska statutes and Alaska Asministrative codes. All as easy to access as this forum. Expecting someone to give you pat answers to "gray area" issues is asking for trouble.
    You beat me to it, my thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by sameyer View Post
    I think this may be the sad truth on this idea, better to read the regs (with a lawyer on hand ?) in detail rather than ask the troopers who got stuck on "Internet duty" about something that could cost you?

That being said, I'm gonna give Brian M the benefit of the doubt and went over and submitted one that really matters to me and I am seriously interested in getting hashed out clearer.
    If they cheese out on me, with some standard dodge I'm not going to be happy but I don't expect much more.

Not that I don't respect the Troopers, you folks are great and I appreciate the "Try to serve" but,

hard to imagine that sameyer is not spot on with this one,................... hope they can help
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

The Fairbanks paper had a similar type column for a while. I think it was ask a trooper. Not sure if this was in the paper or just online where I read it. I really like the idea, but people just became stupid with the "what if" questions and scenarios where they were walking along minding their own business when all of a sudden they got arrested for nothing. Eventually every story got locked down by the trooper or newspaper. This section lists some rules which address some of the questions you guys have posed. They say they don't give legal advice for one, no what if questions for another. I'm guessing that they'll be able to work these answers pretty carefully before posting the response.

I submitted a question that was based more on how they approach a certain situation than what the law says. I think it will be more interesting to find out what they are looking for than what they think the law is (which is better learned through the regs or statutes).

Just my 2 cents.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    rather than ask the troopers who got stuck on "Internet duty" ?
    well it has been said many times already... they were already on INTERNET duty... a good many of our members are LEO that are unable to reply in that function of their duty and this gives them the ability i would hope...

that; and how many of our members have had an infraction.. only to see their "hunt report" on the troopers screen when the walk in...

and now there is no question...

as for the ability to look up the AAC or AS on line or elseware.... I often use

http://touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/statutes.htm for Statute and

http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/aac.htm for the AAC regulation...

HOWEVER i have found several times this last month they ARE NOT up to date with current regulation.. and Asking a trooper gave me the correct one to look up in the current Codified book that is not so user friendly.

[img] http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs886.snc4/71962_169957216363513_100000477065010_524061_18552 09_n.jpg [/img]

i will have the 2011/2012 edition in January as it will be the most current...

edit.. not sure why my pic code dont work...
    Last edited by LuJon; 11-17-2010 at 00:13.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Worked fine when I posted it. I think it may because yours set it as a link inside the html img code instead of just the text. I tried to fix it in your post and it didn't work... weird...

Default dollars to doughnuts

Quote Originally Posted by Yagonyonok View Post
    I'm betting that our great State's legal department is hashing that out right this second, to write up the content of AWT's sig line.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    I think this may be the sad truth on this idea, better to read the regs (with a lawyer on hand ?) in detail rather than ask the troopers who got stuck on "Internet duty" about something that could cost you?
    It's worth noting that nobody is "getting stuck on internet duty". This is something that the Trooopers are working together with us on, and they're happy to do so. They're willingly engaging in this in order to help and serve the outdoors community. Obviously it'll be a learning process, but I think there's a lot of potential here.

Of course reading and understanding the regulations is of utmost importance, and this will not replace that. What it will do, hopefully, is bring light to some areas of enforcement that might be a bit unclear to some of us. If you're clear on everything in the regs, great. For those who have some areas that could use clarification, though, hopefully this will be a valuable venue.

Communication: I appreciate their willingness to open another forum that might help them and us clarify some regulations.
    Along the way, our input might be useful to them in formulating future regulations - even if they don't respond on this forum now.

It probably says something too that they are using AOD/OSA for this - it's all good.

My expectations are low, but will wait final judgement until I see their first responses. That will be the deciding factor.
    After it gets rolling along a bit, I want to see others post up their questions that garnered no response. I have to think what they won't respond to, is as least important to most of us as what they will respond to. This will be the true test of whether or not it is worthwhile. If it leads to CherryPicking easy questions and Ignoring the hard questions, I ain't gonna be spending much time on it.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Well I think its a great idea. The regulations are confusing changing all the time. I keep up to date somewhat through this forum and having more such information available will help keep me out of trouble!!!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    My expectations are low, but will wait final judgement until I see their first responses. That will be the deciding factor.
    After it gets rolling along a bit, I want to see others post up their questions that garnered no response. I have to think what they won't respond to, is as least important to most of us as what they will respond to. This will be the true test of whether or not it is worthwhile. If it leads to CherryPicking easy questions and Ignoring the hard questions, I ain't gonna be spending much time on it.
    Well said.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast