Thread: .350 rem mag

Default .350 rem mag

can anyone provide advice with regard to the relative merits of a ruger 77 or remington model 7 in .350 rem mag. Not controlled vs push but overall quality, accuracy, ease of loading, can the magazines accomodate 225grain Barnes X or not. The gun store has no examples to look at. I don't care if someone thinks that 338-06 is better , I am interested in .350 Rem mag. Someone was on here posting some impressive groups but I can't find the post.

Thanks, Dan

Default 350 Rem Mag maddness

I went through the same question a few months back. I wanted the original Short Magnum to replace my old 358 Norma Mag. (sold off because it was push feed)

I decided on the M-77MKII stainless, in 350 Rem Mag over the Remington.

A. Controlled feed is a big deal for me since my push feed Remingtons have skipped over rounds a couple times. The 350 is a HUNTING cartridge and not a long range sniper caliber.

B. The Ruger M-77MKII is stainless. (see above hunting remark)

C. The Ruger M-77 has a slightly longer magazine box and action. Thus you can load you bullets a little longer, (heavier bullet or more powder)

D. I like a safety that holds the firing pin. While the Ruger saftety is not as good as a M-70, Springfield or Military Mauser, It does lock the firing pin in the final position.

E. I think there was a difference in the Barrel lengths. The Ruger had a 22 inch barrel which is about right for this cartridge.

F. The Ruger action top has the built in mounts. I am using Warne quick detach rings. So one less thing to mount.

G. I wanted iron sights as well. the Ruger does not have them. I could not get a straight answer from Remington about the sights on the Model 7 one way or the other.

SO. I had a front sight mounted on the Ruger. I also have a REAR PEEP sight that quick detaches to the Ruger built in mounts. So I can walk through the tall grass with a ghost ring peep sight, Or attach my 2 x7 Leupold scope to the rifle in a couple minutes.

I can send you pics if you e-mail me

dragonfly@alaska.net

I have some new handloads that I still have to try using the Kodiak 225 grain bonded bullets.

xx
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default pics

Post those .350 mag pics here. Let us all see 'em.

I am not sure how....

Smile picture posting

So I guess this also turns into a learning opportunity :-)

Default Peep sight

Thanks Float Pilot

I also want to have open sights on this rifle. Is your peep one of the NECG sights? and does it return to zero when you re-mount. I had a BRNO peep that would pop up out of the sight base when the scope was detached that was really slick. I will likely go for the ruger and fit a fibreglass stock.

Cheers

Yeap, tell me how to post photos here,,

My stinking computer keeps dropping off line