Thread: acouple shots

Default acouple shots

I am not sure what you are doing??? Are you just sharing pictures? Are you looking for critique? Are you looking for recommendations on settings to improve your shots? Other??? Regardless, I find it helpful if you add what camera and lens you are using, settings if known, and what software used to process the pictures (assuming they are digital). Otherwise, thanks for the pretty pictures.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    I am not sure what you are doing??? Are you just sharing pictures? Are you looking for critique? Are you looking for recommendations on settings to improve your shots? Other??? Regardless, I find it helpful if you add what camera and lens you are using, settings if known, and what software used to process the pictures (assuming they are digital). Otherwise, thanks for the pretty pictures.
    Unless otherwise stated, it seems fairly obvious that pictures are posted "for your viewing pleasure"... just something somebody wants to share. If they want a critique or advice, they'll say so.

Your queries though, caused me to take a much closer look than I did before! And it was pretty interesting too...

As to technical details, both of those images have intact Exif data embedded. Your browser may have the ability to show at least some of it, but to see it all you'll probably have to download the image and run whatever software you have that can display Exif data. I did that, and used exiftool to read the info. The first shot was taken on the 15th of October, using a Nikon D50 with an AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED lens set to 28mm and f/16 with a shutter speed of 1/10. Due to the slow shutter speed I would assume a tripod or other support was used.

There is other interesting info buried in there too. Like ISO was 200, focus distance was about 1.26 meters, and the shutter count on that camera is only 2831 (an astonishing number for an old camera? or maybe not... ). It says the software used was "PictureProject 1.5.0 W", and I have no idea what that is. Exposure was set using "Shutter speed priority AE", and white balance was on Auto. The AF focus point was "Mid-right". And the meaured Light Value was 10.3.

What's it all mean? Somebody purposely wanted to use a very slow shutter speed in order to get the effects seen. That was no accident. Combine that with AF being set to the right, probably on that middle area so that both the distant background water and that area in the lower foreground are all in focus.

My take on this is that EMoss#83, who seems to have been lurking here for years, is an accomplished photographer who made these two images quite on purpose and is in no way showing a couple of lucky accidents!

Thanks to EMoss#83 for the images! And thanks to Roger45 for the inspiration to look closer!

yeh i just learned how to post using photobucket so i got excited and posted a few, I recently damaged the lens on my nikon D50 on a moose hunting trip and just put a new lens on it and getting back into going out and just shooting pictures, i was really into it in high school and loved working in the darkroom, I cant help but think this digital stuff is cheating sometimes from the technical side of stuff -but i love it.
    I remember the good old days of the smell of D-76 and fixer on my hands at homer high in the early 80's

Quote Originally Posted by EMoss#83 View Post
    I recently damaged the lens on my nikon D50 on a moose hunting trip
    You might contact Nikon and see what they would charge to repair this lens...I have "damaged" a few myself and Nikon has come through. I replaced my 18-55 with the 18-200, and I will never go back ;-) A great lens if you are looking for an upgrade at a good price. The digital DarkRoom has really changed things for me. I have ended up with Adobe Photoshop CS5 and it does everything (and more) that I use to do in a dark room. Wow!

As to my original post, I was not trying to be irritating, I just like to know why some shots are posted. Sharing is great, keep it up.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather