Thread: Soap tanning

Default Soap tanning

Ok, I googled and searched, but cannot find but one example. The one I found says to use one bar of fels-naptha to one gallon of water. Soak for 2 MONTHS!!!

Those of you who do this: How?

I have a nice case skinned rabbit on my stretcher (bottle of motor oil) drying right now....

If you read through the "My First Furbearer" thread, there is a link in there that explains the tanning process fairly well.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

anybody try something like this on fox size furs. Also can anybody tell me what a big green fox fur is, size / length? I have one that seems really big, but it is a male and the other fox were females, and one young male (this years).
    60% of men don't know what they have until they lose it
    15% aren't sure but figure it's better than nothing
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

Andrew, on one of the other threads there is a link to the Fur Harvesters site and there is a pdf file there with a list of sizes for various furbearers, and board sizes. That should give you an idea on that fox.

I think we've only used acid tanning on fox before, but I'm sure you could soap tan those okay if they were skinned/fleshed good. May be best to submerge the whole fox in a strong dish soap/water solution in a plastic tub, skin side out. Leave it in for 24 hours, take out and rinse with cold water a few times then hang up and as it dries you work it soft. If it doesn't get soft it didn't work <grin>.

Quote Originally Posted by Trappnguns View Post
    Ok, I googled and searched, but cannot find but one example. The one I found says to use one bar of fels-naptha to one gallon of water. Soak for 2 MONTHS!!!

Those of you who do this: How?

I have a nice case skinned rabbit on my stretcher (bottle of motor oil) drying right now....
    A couple hours maybe not two months
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Mark, I downloaded and searched the pdf, but it only gives a measurement saying over 32 in. is XL, does that mean from nose to tip of tail? I have one really big male, that measured over 4ft from nose to tip of tail while still on the carcass. I'm not sure where to measure from.
    60% of men don't know what they have until they lose it
    15% aren't sure but figure it's better than nothing
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

The one I read about fels naptha was for deer. Maybe that is why they let it set for 2 months.. Gonna try the dish soap on the rabbit my son shot tonight.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Moder...bit-Hides.aspx

Read the above article and forget the soap.