Thread: Downrigger Mounts

Default Downrigger Mounts

I have a pair of cannon easytroll downriggers and I need a mount that will fit on the side or the rails of a 24 foot Sea Ark boat. I tried mounting them on the back of the boat and something was in the way every time you needed to get to them. I want to mount them foward of the console where they will be eaiser to use them. Share your information and pictures of how you mount them if you can. Thanks.

Lets see a pic of your boat. It will help to figure something out.

cannon makes a rail mount, i have them on my boat.
    one thing to realize is that when you troll from amidships you have to be VERY careful when turning so as not to wrap your weights or go into the prop. i really wish i could troll off the stern, but i cant because of my stern house ... i can't imagine being able to troll astern and choosing not to.
    perhaps you could leave the downriggers astern and move the rods amidships?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    one thing to realize is that when you troll from amidships you have to be VERY careful when turning so as not to wrap your weights or go into the prop.
    If you've got that much blowback there are two things you can do.

1-run heavier balls Cannon should handle 15# easy and many people have gone to 20#

2-never troll into the current (easier said than done when dealing with large tides).

I do not know how to post pictures. I do not have any good pictures here that will show what I want to do but maybe I can explain. The rail on a Sea Ark is wide compared to the rails on most jon boats. I am guessing it is 3 inches or more wide. The boat has a bench seat running across the back of the boat with about a 2 foot opening behind it for gas tank and batteries. The bench seat has two boat seats mounted on it, one on each side with a small side console mounted on the right side in front of the boat seat. Where i want to mount the downriggers is just in front of the console. It will probally be about 7 to 8 feet from the back of the boat. Other than the small console the boat is completely open for about 16 feet 10 inches from bench seat to front deck. The boat is stored where I fish and I do not have good pictures to show back of boat. M ost of the pictures I have are people standing in the middle of the boat holding fish. I will post some of them if somebody will tell me how, or I will e-mail them to somebody and let them post them for me. Thanks.

Mine are mounted in the same place as you want to mount yours.
    They have been there for almost 20 years with no getting in the prop problems.
    My gunnel sounsl like it is a bit wider than yours but there are ways around that.
    If you have to you can use a short pedestal and redrill 2 of the mounting holes.
    Here is how mine look.