Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's The Best Way To Sell A Boat ?

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Question What's The Best Way To Sell A Boat ?

My wife and I have decided to move back to the Olympic Peninsula in Washington to be closer to our grandkids and want to make the move with as little as possible on our backs.Driving through Canada is not an option we choose to excersize ,so we want to sell most of our gear that is specefic to Alaska.That would be dip nets,halibut gear,as well as my 19'Klamath.
    I have sold small skiffs on CraigsList in the past but the Klamath is a little higher end unit than those.Just looking for popular opinion here.Should I wait til spring when more people have fishing on their mind,sell it now and be done with it,advertise in the local paper,or try some other avenue?A variety of opinions is welcome.Thanks

Never hurts to put it up here the site has a pretty reasonable fee if it sells of of our classified. Other than that Craigslist is about the best thing going. I bought my wooldridge off of C/L and I have seen plenty of high end boats sell off of it. You will definitely get more for it if you wait till the spring. But you may be able to unload it now. Doesn't cost anything to try!

If your not strapped for cash, I would wait until after the spring boat show is done and over with. Mean while, I would spruce my boat up and get ready to post it on Craiglist that way, when all the people whom want to buy a boat but have a case of sticker shock for the price of a new boat, they will be more inclined to buy a well taken care of spruced up used boat. I've also had good luck with putting up a flyer at local extablishments with a picture, details and a pull tab with a phone number. I sold a used boat 2 years ago in April using the same tactic. Had it listed for about one month. You'll get a few tire kickers but when someone sees a good fair deal, they act quickly. Had no problem getting what I wanted for it. Good Luck

i would be interested in your saltwater gear pm me a list of what you got and a price

Craigslist and the bulletin board at Carrs/Safeway. Use lots of pictures and details to get the best results, and give your phone number; email replies work way less.

Get hooked up with a NonProfit and raffle it off, with X$ Amount of proceeds going to the donor. Done all the time. You would probably be surprised just how much that old scuttle might be worth, doing this.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I think some serious buyers start looking for a nice boat for a good price after the summer fishing is over, which is now. I did. I looked all winter and spent a lot of time watching Craigs list. A few times when I wasn't watching the list as closely as normal, I mised out on nice boats by mere minutes or hours. If you've got what someone is looking for, they'll let you know. Right now someone may still have PFD money in their pocket for a deposit on a boat they want. And then for a few months in the winter some folks may get tax returns back that'll help. You just never know.

For example, I looked all winter long. I actually flew over to Kenai once to look at a boat and offered a guy his asking price only to have him say that his family changed their mind. Fortunately, I also got to visit my brother and his family on the same trip or I'd have been really upset about spending the money to fly over. About the beginning of May I told my brother on the phone that I was tired of looking and would wait till after the summer to start again. I said it just wasn't meant to be at that time. The very next day he called me and said, "Mike, you gotta check out this boat that's posted!!" The rest was history as they say.

So, if you are ready to be bugged a lot by buyers (serious and not so serious), I'd post it now because you have no clue who the buyer is going to be and when he or she is going to be looking. Could be tomorrow! Good luck.

Criagslist is the way to go for everything you listed. Most of the small items will sell well now, since many people are bored waiting for summer. If it does not sell quickly, then the price is too high, at least for this time of year.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

donate it to a nice 501c3 and deduct it on your taxes..... Let me know if you need one,..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Pay for an appraisal. For your boat it couldn't be more than a couple hundred bucks. Will save much haggling over price. Sell it on CL. Shouldn't be a problem at all.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Charterboat Operator

Heck, send me a picture and your asking price, I have been looking for one for awhine!
    PB

2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

See, I told you there might be one interested tomorrow (which is now today)! LOL

Cash.......

I've sold a couple boats in April, so I had to have started advertising in March....
    Something I learned a long time ago is the fact you can sell ANYTHING, if you've got the patience...
    Sooner or Later, some one will come along that wants what you have...
    If it were me, I'd post the boat on the above 3 web sites now, with a good pict or two... /John

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Thanks for all your input guys,
    I had the boat listed on CraigsList for thier 45 day time frame and got several calls but no buyers.I have to say it was nice to get out on the water for the HWKT,especially cause the day was so nice.I'll probably take some flyers out to local stores soon and repost it on CL.I still have it on AlaskaList but that's been pretty dead action.Still not in a hurry but that can change and probably will in a hurry.Gotta love the fast and furious up here

I bought my boat at the beginning of the year on craigslist. I don't remember seeing yours up? C/L boats start going fast this time of year.

You can list it for FREE on www.aluminumalloyboats.com and no fees if it sells.

Mark, one thing about Craigslist is you've got to be active about reposting it. Most folks looking to buy only look at the most recent posts. Also, posting late in the week is when it counts. Most of us are busy early in the week with work and are only starting to think about buying later in the week or weekends. If you're still looking to sell you might try posting on Thursday/Friday of the week and reposting every week. Just make sure you remove your old post or Craigslist won't let you repost. Typically you have to remove it an hour or two before you repost. I've sold two boats and two trucks on Craigslist with good success. Like others said, Alaskaslist is another good one.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Definitely keep your post current on Craigslist. Way to many people don't delete their ad after it sells so very few buyers will call on one that looks like a great deal to them if it is more than about a week or two old. Most of the stuff I have purchased off of CL was within 12-24 hours of it posting. I have purchased 5 ATV's, 1 snogo, 1 boat, and a 2 place trailer off of CL and all of that was the same day it posted.

Alaskaslist is pretty good but they seem to have a lot of very stale ads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast