Thread: Beaver trapping question

Cool Beaver trapping question

I have a beaver close to home and I've been trying to catch him for a few days now. I placed a few 330's and a #4 close to his house but still nothing. Any suggestions on what I should try next. This is a river beaver but he's been pretty active and centralized since Friday so should I just give it more time or place a few more traps. This is my first year trapping since HS so I'm learning all over again.

Get some Castor lure and made a Castor mound IT will be harder now since things are all frozen up or find where he is going into the water at and set his trail.

Is there a cache of limbs under the water? A food supply. I would put the 330 near that. Wire some shaved sticks of wood to the trigger. The castor set up is good too. I assume there is not a dam to tamper with?

I guess I was too much in a hurry to ask for assistance since I got two last night after posting my question. The ice is beginning to become an issue and they're not coming out of the water anymore but I'm pretty sure there's few more in the area. Not sure what the castor lure is but I was able to place two 330's under water, after my swim in the water, right next to the food pile and what looks like a raceway/entrance way. I was going to put a third trap in but I was losing light and getting a little cold so I called it! I appreciate the info and help, good luck trapping guys

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	009.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	41971 She was over 45lbs, don't mind the superman pants, I was taking her to the garage and calling it a night! ha ha

Perserverence pays off! Congrats on the catch!

Right On Crandad,

Nice Job, those are NICE,

You beat me to it on the Pajama pants, was going to try to say something funny about those but,

You look so hard core up top..... Good One, Thanks for the pics Keep posting of your further success this winter
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Thanks and I look forward to seeing how everyone does this season. I just had to say something about the PJ's cause I knew it was coming. I'm hoping I do just as well with the rats and martins, TBD. Thanks again guys!

Great job. It is a great feeling to walk to the sets and see the success of a plan the comes together. You are the super hero =)

SWEEEEEEEEEEETT. Congrats on your catch!!!!

Good luck skinning it, beaver are toughest animal to skin that I have trapped. A beaver and a havalon knife for clean skinning has worked well for me. A hoop and a bag of hooks from the Trapper Supply store on the Parks in Wasilla is a must.

So your trapping under the ice, I'd cut some(2 pieces) fresh willow or birch, pealing it alittle, then tie it to the trigger. Run a tree pole through the springs and place it about 12" below the ice. Also, you can do the samething with a #4 leg hold, making a stand for the trap and placing fresh food above it. The beaver will swim by and stand on the trap while they try to get to the food, make sure you tie if off. It takes awhile during the winter since they're activity is limited.

Most everyone has pretty much got it covered.. Once the ice comes in, It's when I preffer to trap them the most. Locate their den site.. could be a house, or a bank den.. find the bubbles in the ice.. they will all funnel to one place.. this is the area you want to chop a hole.. Use a chissel and break a hole 10 inches wide by 24 long, parralel to the den. I use 2 willow (GREEN) peices of wood, about the size of a big cigar, drill 2 x 7/32 size holes in them that way you can slide em' right up the trigger wire. bend the ends a tad so they dont fall off. Wire 14 ga wire to the springs on both sides. abut 3-4 feet long each.. Find a stick the size of a baseball bat and wire each loose end to the stick..Set trap, and submerge it so its 10-12" under the bottom of the ice. If you can find their run.. (will be a grey murky area thats all clean on the bottom).. dished on the sides.. etc.. set all the way on the bottom and stake off the sides. If not, just hang just below the ice. Beaver will leave the house to go to its food cache, see the green willow and SNAP>. (tip) Shave just the ends a tad to give it some color.. Picked up 12 beavers this week alone so its seems to work. A draw knife and a fleshing beam makes quick work to fleshing beavers.. 10-15 minutes top and their clean as a whistle.

If you live in the valley area and need more specific details or a hands on, drop me a line..

Default Beaver sets

Name:	Trigger set 330.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	44901

Here are some pics to help explain the process..Willow with 2 holes drilled and slid right onto the wire triggers, bent at the end..

Name:	Beaver Set.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	44903

Here is a pic of the hole made, trap hanging form the cross wood piece, and suspended under the ice..

Default Couple beaver catches

Name:	Beaver-330.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	44904

If all works as planned, the beaver should swim right up to and try and bite the wood... the jaws will snap close right on the body.. killing pretty much instantly..

If by chance you have a smart beaver who may be trap shy, or just educated.. he may try to reach for the bait.. with the beslisle type of 330, their is no gap.. will clamp down in a millisecond and hold it until it drowns. The one figtured was a smaller well educated one..

Name:	beaver 330 leg .jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	44905