Thread: Paddling to Camping spot

Default Paddling to Camping spot

Hey Everyone. Next week a few friends and I are paddling in to our camp site. We are all brining our own cookware and I just bought a evernew alcohol stove and im not sure if I should bring the alcohol burner, or if maybe there is something that I could look into that is a lighter, and might work a little better if was to get wet? Thanks for the help everyone, I appreciate it!
    Last edited by LuJon; 11-16-2010 at 15:40. Reason: fixed links

Please let me know how your alcohol stove works out. It looks really cool.
    Also, are you winter kayaking/camping in Alaska? That’s amazing. Not many people do that…….

Quote Originally Posted by mattseakayaker View Post
    Please let me know how your alcohol stove works out. It looks really cool.
    Also, are you winter kayaking/camping in Alaska? That’s amazing. Not many people do that…….
    LOL, yeah I pretty much pegged them for a spammer especially since the initial link went to some cheap knockoff outdoor store that didn't even sell the stove. I did a search for the stove though and actually thought it interesting, so I changed the link to point toward the real company. I don't know that alcohol stoves are a good fit for water travel but I thought it may spark some discussion.

its amazing what one will do.. lots of effort just to put a little ad out there about an alcohol stove.
    maybe I am missing something in my marketing ???
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Spamming aside, an alcohol/penny stove makes a great little addition on short or overnight trips. I bring one on daytrips and overnighters canoeing in the Nancy Lake system. For there weight they are tough to beat but they do have plenty of limitations. I just found it was always nice to have a little stove to boil some water for coffee,tea or hot chocolate, especially when paddling with kids. It also comes with me on every ice fishing trips for the same reason.

scouts and alcohol stoves..
    My many years in scouting have offered some fun projects for the boys and the leaders, and one project that has maintained its interest in our troop here is the pepsi can alcohol stoves.
    many of you have seen them and many of you have probably made them.
    we used to take a night or two and make up about 20 or more of these stoves. they weigh an ounce or two and can boil a cup of water in 4 minutes. they don't use much fuel and are not as dangerous as white gas stoves.
    I took two of these homemade stoves on a sheep hunt about 12 years ago and it worked like a champ.. it was indeed the lightest stove I have ever packed and yet it worked, cost me almost nothing to build and was disposable.
    I put 4 of these stoves in our 72 hr prepardness kit for my family, and 2 qts of alcohol fuel. this way if my regular cook stove quits, i have these for backup.
    I found that many of my european travelers that come by my place to do canoe trips etc. use stoves that use denatured alcohol also.
    seems more popular in europe than here in the states.. not sure why..
    anyway.. for those of you that have not seen or built a pepsi can alcohol stove, .. winter is the time to do it as a fun family project. you can do it at the kitchen table and you don't need any fancy tools..
    there must be dozens of designs out there, and the internet is just full of pictures and movies on how to make them..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverage-can_stove
    take some time to build one, or at least see how it is done, so if you ever need to build one in a pinch, you know how..
    thanks
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com