Thread: How long at the tannery?

Default How long at the tannery?

I dropped a critter off at the taxidermist over a year ago. He tells me that the tannery still has the hide. I understand having to wait a year for the mount, but a year seems a long time to get something back from the tannery.
    I'm starting to get a bit nervous since I had another taxidermist mount something for me a few years ago. It took 19 months to get the head back. Taxidermist said the tannery had the cape for 17 months. When I contacted the tannery, they said the taxidermist wasn't telling the truth.
    I hope the latest taxidermist isn't stringing me along like the other guy. Anyone have any thoughts on this, especially you taxidermists out there? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
    I dropped a critter off at the taxidermist over a year ago. He tells me that the tannery still has the hide. I understand having to wait a year for the mount, but a year seems a long time to get something back from the tannery.
    I'm starting to get a bit nervous since I had another taxidermist mount something for me a few years ago. It took 19 months to get the head back. Taxidermist said the tannery had the cape for 17 months. When I contacted the tannery, they said the taxidermist wasn't telling the truth.
    I hope the latest taxidermist isn't stringing me along like the other guy. Anyone have any thoughts on this, especially you taxidermists out there? Thanks.
    My guess is they get pretty busy and overwhelmed. Not enough tanneries to go around these days. I've heard of up to 2 years before. I'd still keep bugging them tho so they don't keep putting your job on the back burner. That happens alot too.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

3-4 months is standard Tannery time. Some tanneries take longer (Alpha, for example or Tundra...as they sold yours and are looking to replace it) but the time that your Taxidermist is talking...isn't true.

All the professional tanneries that do lots of fur (Moyles, Tubari,...and bunch of others that I can't remember right now) have a 90 day turn around time.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

average turn around on my bear hides is 10.5-13 months from up here so far... depends on when the taxi go a load large enough to send in,,, and what lot it went into at the tannery
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    average turn around on my bear hides is 10.5-13 months from up here so far... depends on when the taxi go a load large enough to send in,,, and what lot it went into at the tannery
    Vince. I'll assume that time frame you gave is when you dropped it off at the taxidermist. Because if you fleshed and dried your hide yourself, you'll get it back in less than 3 months from a tannery.

The usual delays in "a hide" is at the Taxidermist. So if he says "the tannery still has it" and it's been longer than 3 months "at the tannery"....somebody isn't being truthful.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan22 View Post
    Vince. I'll assume that time frame you gave is when you dropped it off at the taxidermist. Because if you fleshed and dried your hide yourself, you'll get it back in less than 3 months from a tannery.

The usual delays in "a hide" is at the Taxidermist. So if he says "the tannery still has it" and it's been longer than 3 months "at the tannery"....somebody isn't being truthful.
    only in some sence i asked the local tannery here also.. with his work load... 9-10 months is norm. all say that if your getting 90 day tan jobs your getting inferior products at least on the big game.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

only in some sence i asked the local tannery here also.. with his work load... 9-10 months is norm. all say that if your getting 90 day tan jobs your getting inferior products at least on the big game.
    I'm gonna have to disagree. I'd actually have to say that Moyles and other major tanneries give a BETTER product than the local tanneries.

Most taxidermists wait for a "batch" of fur before they send their stuff in, plus the wait time for them to flesh and dry (salt, whatever) the animal. Bear rugs take 12-18 months to get back...and that includes THEIR work to be done by the taxidermist.

If you are waiting 9-10 months on big game to be done, you're waiting on something other than the process. Even Alpha will turn around the big game MUCH quicker than that if you have done the work on your own.

alaskan, you just think you know everything. Moyle Mink is not always 90 days. I am currently waiting for a bunch of hides I sent there 7.5 months ago, but yes they do a really good job on big game and they are my first choice for a tannery as a taxidermist for bears and backskins of all big game.

LD- I don't think I know everything....just a little about a lot.

Moyles isn't always 90 days, but 99% of the time they are. During their busy season (right after the big auctions for raw fur/close of trapping season)they slow down a bit and it sometimes takes longer. I thought (i'd have to check my receipts) that they had some sort of guarantee or discount if they don't make the 90 days. I've never held them to it as they've always been great to deal with.

As far as fur to a tannery/taxidermist goes...i have a "little" bit of experience in that dept, so I'm just speaking on my experience. Not to many folk with 12 different rugs on their walls, multiple shoulder mounts and bring in 200+ critters a year for tanning. But...for those that do fit that, I'd like to hear their response as well.

But I still say a 9-10 month nomr, as Vince pointed out, is not the norm and any delays such as those are NOT on the part of the tannery.

alaskan(mc) I know last year you hardly sent crap to the tannery because you were taking care of your kid, very commenable, so do not say 200 plus of your own furs every year, and besides you have a father son team as partners that do all the work. Yes I am jealous you live in nome and can do what you want and not have to look over your shoulder for the game warden, except for the bear. Hope you have a good trapping season this year and if you hear of any other good tanneries I am sure there are many people that would like to know.

Alaskan, sounds like you have an admirer!

Ive heard the same thing (from someone else) that Moyles does do a great job with the tanning and that they do get the job done quicker than most. We'll probably be using them this next year for all our critters since it's taken Furs For Fun 8 months to finally send us a letter saying last years stuff is ready.....
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    Alaskan, sounds like you have an admirer!

or an EX!

meet on face book here

I've sent several hides to Moyles including a black bear, all came back in 90 days or less with no complaints from me whatsoever. I dropped off a deer to my local Kodiak taxidermist 2 1/2 years ago and still have yet to see it, he continues to blame the "tannery"....yeah right!! Since then I have taken a brown bear, caribou, black bear & two deer to other taxidermists/tannery's and have had them back in less than a year. Beware of a certain Kodiak taxidermist (note that I didnt use specifics on the name of the taxidermist as per forum rules but since there is only one in Kodiak it shouldn't be hard to figure out!!)

Chilly, nobody on here can tell you what a tannery's turn around time is. It changes everyday due to many variables. The best way to handle this is to kindly tell your taxidermist that you are having doubt about his candor and you want the truth. If that does not work, ask what tannery he uses, then call the tannery. They don't like to be bothered with other customers' customers, but you have a right to know the truth. Tell them your ordeal, and get the truth. If they don't want to tell you, then remind them that they are holding YOUR property. If you are feeling strange about your taxidermist, then it is up to you to get to the bottom of it no matter how uncomfortable it may be.

As a Taxidermist myself, I still haven't figured it out to a T yet.. 90 percent of the items I take to the tannery are done in 90-120 days.. With a few exceptions such as Musk ox, Some are done in 3 weeks, others 6 months.. Its all on the cycle of the tannery.. For instance. They arent going to toss in a bunch of moose capes in the same pickle and tumble with a a few marten, fox and a beaver.. Similar colored animals, similar skin thicknesses.. Such as dall sheep and goats .. Brown and black bears,, Moose, bou and deer.. Ox seperate.. and all the animals that are trapped or considered thin skinned are done in a seperate batch.. etc.. Here is a recent example.. Turned in 9 caribou capes, 1 moose cape, 1 goat, 1 bear, 1 sheep, all in about Mid Sept.. 2 weeks later 2 more bou, first week of Oct a sitka.. guess what got done first? Yeah, the Sitka..just the way it goes I guess..

IMO anything longer than 6 months at a tannery imo is unsat.. My guess is the hide was just tossed in the freezer until it came time to tackle it.. then Ohhhh.. dang, have to flesh, salt, mail it to the tannery.. then wait.. then have it mailed back.. Etc.. Every animal I take in gets fleshed, turned, salted that day or night.. I dont go to bed until its done. 72 hours after delivery.. its at the tannery.. Imo that should be standard practice.

With all the comments about the long turn around time for a mount to be done, why not use a taxidermist that tan's his hides himself. Trophy taxidermy is a local business in the valley, been around for about 30 years in the same location, does excellent work, most of it himself as he only has one assistant. Since he does his own tanning in house he can't blame any mistakes or long turn around times on anyone. Might want to give the local guy a try...
    I have no vested interest in work being done there, or anywhere else for that matter. Simply trying to enlighten others on this forum to his existence and his commitment to a good job done at a reasonanble price.
    My .02 cents.
    BK

or an EX!
    Wow...an admirer indeed!

But, alas she (has to be a she to be an ex) is correct, last year I took the year off to play with my new baby. So...for the past5 out of 6 years I sent 200 OF MY OWN FURS (as this individual knows, I only trapped with the good Doc for 1 year...his boy was a part timer).

So I stand corrected....but not on the tannery issue!

Best part...is I know who it is by the "Yes I am jealous you live in nome and can do what you want and not have to look over your shoulder..." Which is twice as scary as she...is a he.

Sad...so sad. Some day...maybe he'll become such a trapper....

Moyles is great. They do a great job, and have fast turn around. I've used two in state tanneries, and they cannot touch Moyles. Great work, and fast turn around.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    Moyles is great. They do a great job, and have fast turn around. I've used two in state tanneries, and they cannot touch Moyles. Great work, and fast turn around.

I agree 100%. I'm right at 90 days for every bear hide I've sent to Moyles. The finished product is great. You can always get them on the phone too.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan22 View Post
    Wow...an admirer indeed!

But, alas she (has to be a she to be an ex) is correct, last year I took the year off to play with my new baby. So...for the past5 out of 6 years I sent 200 OF MY OWN FURS (as this individual knows, I only trapped with the good Doc for 1 year...his boy was a part timer).

So I stand corrected....but not on the tannery issue!

Best part...is I know who it is by the "Yes I am jealous you live in nome and can do what you want and not have to look over your shoulder..." Which is twice as scary as she...is a he.

Sad...so sad. Some day...maybe he'll become such a trapper....
    NICE! You have a HE admirer! Way to go! We all knew it especially if it was an EX-he!!!! LMAO!!!!!