Thread: Reloading Data to 8mm rem mag and 416 rem mag. Both have 24" barrel.

Kalix, Sweden .50 km south the arctic circle

Default Reloading Data to 8mm rem mag and 416 rem mag. Both have 24" barrel.

Hi and Good Evening Alaska!

I have, those above calibers in my arsenal and I keep on looking for reloading data for these calibers. To my 8mm rem mag, I have a pretty good charge. I use where the Swift A-frame 220 gr, 215 Federal primer and gunpowder Norma MRP and get V0 approximately 860 m / s. Are there any of you who have a better charge with the same bullet with higher V0 m / s?

Earlier this year I bought Rem. 700 Safari in caliber 416 rem. mag. and which uses the former owner of Wood Leigh RN 400 gr, 215 Federal primer and gunpowder Norma 203B. I had to inaugurate it last fall by shooting a female moose in Sweden. I have some loads to 416 r m but I am interested in more loads for this caliber.

In Sweden there is no importer of Alliance Powder now and it is very sad. I have used this powder before my 8 mm r m

I thank you in advance and hope I can help with this.

PS.
    My English is not the best but I hope you understand what I have written.

Redgers

Stefan

Welcome to the forum.

If you'll setup your account for private messages I'll forward a couple of my favorite loads for the 416 RM.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Ok! Thanks!

Have I missed something in the settings of private messages? You can send a mail to

bondersbyn@hotmail.com

Thank you for loads for my 416 rem mag. Does not anyone have any loads for 8mm rem mag?

/Stefan

Do you have access to the Vihta Vouri powders? If so try N165 for the 8mm Mag I have used that caliber with the 200 grain Nosler partition 78.0 grains with fed 215 primer and R-P brass. this is about 2950 fps (898 M?S) from 24" barrel.

Also for the 416 Rem. Using Norma 203B with 400 grain Woodleigh or Swift A-frame 78.0 grains, and fed 215 primer this hits 2410 fps from my rifle. Or try Vihta N135 I use 75.0 grains with the 400 grain Woodleigh to get 2400 fps (730 M/S). I took a good moose in Sweden two years ago with my 9.3x64. How was the 416 on the moose? Enough gun?
    Mike

Hi McJonas!

Thanks for your loads! I have access to the VV powder here in Sweden. It sounds fine charges.

The shot was right at the elk, but it did not appear directly, but walked about 150 meters before falling down dead. 416 K was nice to shoot and recoil was mild. Shooting distance was about 40-50 meters and no impact on moose. The ball stopped against the skin on the other side. If I compare the pipes of 8 mm and 416 as the barrel of 416 K about twice as thick as an ordinary pipe. The entire 416 r m weighs a little over 10 pounds. So about 5 kg. I have a Helia 1.5 to 6 * 42 telescopic sight on top. If you ask if I have any guns so I do not have it.
    Where in Sweden was you and hunted moose?

/ Stefan

You're welcome. In 2003 I hunted west of Sandviken. Some small village off hiway 80 ( I think). I got the hunt in a swap with a Swedish hunter who wanted to hunt elk here in western states. Pretty cool. A great country there with a rich hunting tradition. Lots of friendly people there.
    Mike

Hi McJones!

Thanks! Ok! Yes, I know where Sandviken is! What fun you had thrived here in Sweden during your stay, and that you liked the Swedes who you got to meet. Yes, there is a fine hunting traditions here in Sweden.

Stefan

Hi GD Yankee!

Thanks for the link!

/Stefan

No problem, Stefan. You must be a glutton for punishment! Everything I've heard about the 8mm Mag is that it is a brutal cartridge, on both ends of the barrel. ;-)

Dave

Thanks! Can you explain what you mean by this sentence? "You Must Be a Glutton for punishment!" I do not quite understand what you mean. Haha! Yes, it has always done his work when I have been out in the woods. Both short and long distances. +300 M = 330 yards.

Stefan