Thread: leather holster conditioning, what do you use?

Default leather holster conditioning, what do you use?

Just wondering what you guys use on your leather to keep the mold etc. from taking over.

Mountaintrekker

All my life I used saddle soap to clean and neatfoot oil to treat and soften. Problem is, in wet climates it just wasn't holding up.

About 5 years ago I tried this stuff because I wanted a little more "waterproofing." It is definitely better. I have it on hand for muzzleloading anyway, so it's not a big deal. But shipping runs up the cost. You might want to nose around the site and see if there's anything else you need before deciding to order. Plain old synthetic mink oil from the shoe polish section of your favorite store might work just as well for leather and be cheaper to buy.

try KG-kg-9 PRTE mirco leather kote it a combo cleaner and condition in one in a paste form .or galco leather cleaner oil in a 4.oz bottle

Like Brown Bear been using saddle soap on my Lawrence shoulder holster here in S.E. Alaska for the last 40+ years. No problems

I use the same mink oil that has been keeping my motorcycle saddle bags in good shape for years. I smear it on knife sheaths, gun straps and everything leather.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

A man oughta keep a leather holster dry, and don't mess with it unless you have to. Then, maybe use only a silicone of some sort.

Softening leather is a bad idea because the holster should be kept stiff.

My dad and I usta use neatsfoot oil on our shoes to waterproof them, and it seemed like it had the opposite effect. Just caused the water to soak in faster. I think that "Neatsfoot" oil is just a way to market animal oils.

I reccommend Sno-Seal or something on that order, if you need to waterproof something. These blamed "oils" just cause brass snaps, etc. on the leather, to corrode, and turn green.

JMHO, Yeah Right.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Obenauf's.
    Now what ?

SOFSOLE leather lube. I use it on all my leather now, from boots to holsters. Stuff is awesome. Seals and dresses, plus it has no petroleum products that can damage leather.