Thread: HH Impertech rain gear

Default HH Impertech rain gear

I have been listening to guys rave about this stuff for years and seen plenty of supportive post on here as well so I broke down and bought some recently for a Kodiak hunt.

I am not impressed. The stuff is heavy, holds every ounce of perspiration that oozes out of your body and is therefore just as wet on the inside as the outside and takes forever to dry out.

The other issue I had was the sizing on the pants is WAY OFF. I wear a large top and bottoms in everything I have bought over the years and never had any issues. Well the large impertech pants made me look like I should have been in a Kiss video, so I went with XL's which fit my legs but were too long and still did not allow me to put them on after putting on boots. I kept them anyways and gave them a couple of tries but ended up not using them throughout the trip.

Guess all I have to say is I am happy to hear this rain gear works for some of you but I will keep using my military stuff till I find something else out there that works better or sounds like it will work better.

Before you guys bust on me for being chunky I am 5 foot 10 inches and 190lbs. To give you an idea of how the large pants fit my 16 year old daughter is built like a stick and they fit her almost perfectly in the legs but were WAY baggy on the waist.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

One aspect of the HH Impertechs I do not like is they wick water like crazy. At least mine do. I wore the jacket a lot this summer working on the boat in the rain. Sitting still recording data and taking measurements, no real physical activity, and water would wick in around my wrists and within several hours my shirt would be damp up to my elbows. Even with the velcro cuffs cinched down tightly. Usually I had my chest waders on underneath and the waist up to the top of my chest waders would be wet from water wicking in underneath the jacket. It was still better than having all the rain soak in but I couldn't seem to stop the wicking no matter what I tried. Just my experience.

Jeff

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Before you guys bust on me for being chunky I am 5 foot 10 inches and 190lbs. To give you an idea of how the large pants .
    Frogs wernt the only ones made with water tight buts.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Guess all I have to say is I am happy to hear this rain gear works for some of you but I will keep using my military stuff till I find something else out there that works better or sounds like it will work better.
    My military Goretex never let me down. I retired, started buying all sorts of gucci civilian stuff. What's in my hunting pack now? My issue goretex and about 90% of the pack is my old military stuff. No matter how much I pay I still fall back to the tried and tested.
    As for the HH Impertech, I don't see it as much different to the old PU coated waterproofs we had before Goretex. Great if you are still, but crap for any activity. Rivers West is similar, great gear, but just does not breath.

Default Raingear blues...

You seem to have found all of Impertech's shortcomings, man. Bad luck. No raingear does it all for sure. The good quality breathable raingear works pretty well, but can be spendy. That issue gear nbh40 mentioned seems to be among the better GoreTex available. My waders worked fine for me on a drop caribou hunt - until the weather warmed up.

Among assets I do like about Impertech though are: it's easy to clean after field dressing game or hauling in halibut, and it won't wet through. More waterproof than I usually need though - so I've been favoring some of the 90% (water-resistant) type softshell stuff at end-of-season discounts.

Other thoughts: Suspenders can help with some fit issues, but only so much. Also, my daughter thought HH Impertech camo fit differently - less baggy - which might help your daughter if you're still looking and she can try some on.

Lujon posted some helpful technical resources in an older thread: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...light=raingear for those looking for more technical comparative data on breathable raingear fabrics.

Good luck.

Hmmm, Impertech. I too thought it would be the answer, used it off and on for a few years during my 15 year stint guiding in various parts of the state. In most cases when it was new, better than Gore-leak, but it had to be new. Every season. 8 weeks of almost daily use under pack straps and binoculars took its toll, mostly in the form of the welded seams pulling apart and pinholes just about everywhere else. For those that percieve it to wick moisture in, put it over your head in a well-lit room and look at the stress points and the undersides of the sleeves where your arms rub on everything, and everywhere else too. If it has had a few weeks total of hunting or backpacking type use, likely you'll be able to use it for a sprinkler. If you think Impertech is heavy, try good old regular dark green Helly bibs and coat. Not so good to tote on a sheep hunt, but then very little gear makes the grade in sheep country. My 2 cents- I'm currently using a "midweight" Helly suit that has held up well, flexible, durable so far, uses pants instead of bibs (hate bibs-life gets beyond a pain in the ass getting out of bibs in a sideways rain to do ones business), has fleece lined pockets, is stretchy and has a generous hood. Oh, and it tends to keep me dry, mostly. I have yet to meet a set of rain gear that does that perfectly and completely. So, from where I sit, Impertech isn't worth the money. There are better choices out there. OzAK

I agree - I've had 2 sets of HH Impetech and when it's BRAND NEW it works great, but after even 1 season (or less) it SUCKS! I wore that crap on a sheep hunt this year and I think my inner layer of clothes wouldn't have been any wetter if wearing no rain coat at all! That's the last time I wear that junk on a hunt. It's beyond me why so many guys swear buy it unless it's because they haven't used it more than a few weeks? I'm going to try Marmot precip pants and jacket. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    I agree - I've had 2 sets of HH Impetech and when it's BRAND NEW it works great, but after even 1 season (or less) it SUCKS! I wore that crap on a sheep hunt this year and I think my inner layer of clothes wouldn't have been any wetter if wearing no rain coat at all! That's the last time I wear that junk on a hunt. It's beyond me why so many guys swear buy it unless it's because they haven't used it more than a few weeks? I'm going to try Marmot precip pants and jacket. Good luck.
    I agree, it seems that most of the recomendations come from guys doing float hunts etc. I can see it's use then, but as soon as you start to get active and pack out, it fails miserably. Basically it is camo grundens!!

I'll second the marmot precip rain gear ,even that it is only the first season I put it to the test.With the weather we have been through this year I have not been wet once,besides a little sweat.Any rain/snow has not went through it yet and if you open the vents just a little it has kept my other layers dry.It's light wieght,a great wind blocker and after a bit of a break in the weather it drys out super fast.It has been the best rain wear I have found yet.

I went to eVent jackets a couple years ago and so far I am happy. I think Alaska_Lanche followed suit and went with one of the Integral Designs eVent jackets this year. I am curious what he thinks after spending some real time with it. I am surprised that anyone is singing the praises of the military goretex. I have been using it for better than 15 years and for real time in the wet it definitely leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I think Alaska_Lanche followed suit and went with one of the Integral Designs eVent jackets this year.
    He used both the impertech jacket and his eVent jacket on our very wet trip to Sitka recently....I'm sure he'll chime in with a brief comparison...

Koton: Good to hear the Marmot precip gear worked well - will order mine soon. My buddy had the same lousy experience with HH Impertech as I did.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I went to eVent jackets a couple years ago and so far I am happy. I think Alaska_Lanche followed suit and went with one of the Integral Designs eVent jackets this year. I am curious what he thinks after spending some real time with it. I am surprised that anyone is singing the praises of the military goretex. I have been using it for better than 15 years and for real time in the wet it definitely leaks.
    Should have said, mine is the British issue Goretex, which is very different to the US stuff. Not sure on the actual material make-up, but the British stuff has no pockets/patches etc, it is just a very simple layer, fully taped and welded seams etc (although the very latest issue now has pockets). I have used it in Northern Norway, the Falklands, Afg, Iraq and of course the extreme wetness of Scotland, England and Wales. I won't say it is perfect, but for a rain-shell it has every civilian kit I have ever bought beat by a long way. Even better when you can pick up a full set for about $70 from Ebay.co.uk.

Its good to see I am not the only one that had a bad run in with Impertech. I have been looking over other rain gear with eVent and preVent fabrics, they all seem to be getting good reviews but so does Impertech.