Thread: Drag it up?

Default Drag it up?

I have an 18' deep V, aluminum hull fishing boat that I'm wondering if I should bring up during my move to Palmer this summer. I have full canvas, chart plotter, marine radio and all the other goodies to make the boat safe and comfortable and use the boat for stripers and cod off the coast of New England. I commonly (after reviewing the weather in depth) will run the boat out 20 miles in flat seas with no worries. I'm interested in knowing if there's areas that I can safely get to for halibut and troll for salmon or should I just liquidate and look for something more suitable when I get up there. Many thanks in advance and I look forward to wetting a line with some of you folks!!

Regards!!

Homer you don't have to go to far. Maybe a mile to two and you can get into halibut. Salmon you can go to homer again seward.

It sounds like you boat you can also use on rivers. Don't know what size enigine you have but you could go to the deska, maybe the kenai if you have a 35hp enigine.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Was thinking the same thing...

I actually considered a 35HP Kicker as a backup and for use on the Kenai and if I bring it up it would be a must have. I currnetly have a 115 HP Optimax pushing it around. While on the Kenai can I just tilt the big motor out of the water or will I have to pull the prop when using the kicker? Many thanks for the quick reply, this message board is great!

Default Compromise

I think you'll find your boat a bit of a compromise. A bit on the small side for salt and maybe too much vee for the rivers. I think up here if you want to boat in both rivers and salt you are better off with two boats.

Living in Palmer and boating out of Homer will suck, it's a long drive and you go past Whittier and Seward (sort of) on your way. An 18' will work in PWS or Ressurection Bay if you are mindful of the weather but a larger boat will give you more peace of mind.

18' deep V what? If you are thinking of using a prop to run the rivers I would think again. Not knowing exactly what the boat is I don't know if it would be suitable to get a jet unit or not. There were many days last year that it absolutely would not have been advisable to run a prop, there were enough jetboats on gravel bars as it was, lol, not me

As for the salt, I would have no problem in Resurrection bay or Whittier but the you do need to watch the weather for sure. I have a 19' Thunderjet and take it out of homer occasionally 15 miles or so. If the weather kicks up it can take longer than you'd expect to get back. With little information it does sound like a compromise. I live in Wasilla, if making the trip to Homer I like 3 or 4 days to make the expense a little less painful. It is 5ish hours to get there depending on traffic.

My boat is a smokercraft, I would have considered putting it in the Kenai with a kicker but I think some of the other rivers would be out of the question. Although it has a V hull it's closer to a flat bottom with Gull Wing Hull, seems to be about a 15 degree or so. Runs shallow but is sooth and stable in 2-3' seas when I've been out. For the record I don't go out on big water when the seas are forcast to be above 2'. Many thanks for all the replies and sage advice.

BigBrown767

Thumbs up 18' is good enough for most conditions.

This is the 18' Bayrunner that I have run from Juneau waters to the Homer area, and a lot of places in between. I am not familiar with the Smokercraft hull design, but I am confident in my boat to handle almost any seas. If it is iffy weather, then I always wear my full exposure suit. The dog is on his own.
    I have run it up a few rivers and have had to drag it off a few gravel bars. It is a compromise, but it is doable.

It sounds like you do have considerable experience on the big water.

Common sense, plenty of fuel and lots of bait and you should do OK. Although, 3 or 4 big butts can change your ride!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default Selling it...

It think I'm inclined to sell and find something more appropriate after I get up there. Something more suitable for the ocean and then perhaps a 14' John with a jet for the rivers.

I think thats a smart choice. Spend your first summer or two hitching rides with some of us till you decide what is most important to you.
    Tennessee

Or...sell it, do your homework and buy a more suitable boat in the states and drag it up. You most likely be able to save some bucks. I would seriously consider this if it was me.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    Or...sell it, do your homework and buy a more suitable boat in the states and drag it up. You most likely be able to save some bucks. I would seriously consider this if it was me.
    I would have to second that!!!!!! You could save allot of money buying in the lower 48 and then tow it here.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK