Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunners first deer at 8 years old

Default Gunners first deer at 8 years old

Gunner and I flew to kodiak for week of chasing deer. The first day I took a nice buck that didnt offer a good shot to gunner. After gutting out my deer and draging it about 150 yards Gunner said "Look dad" and there was a huge bear on the gutpile. I yelled to try to run off the bear but he started down the hill in our direction. We made it to the beach without having to give up out deer but it was close. Here is a pic of my buck.

The second day we hiked into a area and a spike walked out quite close to us. Gunner said a spike was good enough for him. Both our deer were killed by a shot to the neck. Here is a pic of gunners deer he took with his new 308.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Default excellent

taking those kids is always a good thing.

Way to go Gunner. Dad, you now have a lifetime hunting partner. Good on ya.

What an Excellent set of pictures those are together,

I love your son's quote, "A spike's good enough for me." Then Bam, kill shot to the Neck !! That's a well raised boy there, Dad.

Congrats to you both,

Geez Gunner, you've got a BIG FUTURE ahead of you in the woods, Right On Job
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Good job DAD!

Nothing like taking the youngin'!

Congratulations Gunner!!!(and Dad) Looks like your new shooting range is paying off.

Is that a youth 308, where did you purchase it at? I have been looking for a good rifle for my kids, not to powerful that they wouldn't want to shoot it, but one that has enough knock down power to take down alaska's big game animals. Thanks

Congrats to both of you! Enjoy the venison and the memories!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Congrats, looks it it was a fun trip!

Default 308

Quote Originally Posted by bearhunter09 View Post
    Is that a youth 308, where did you purchase it at? I have been looking for a good rifle for my kids, not to powerful that they wouldn't want to shoot it, but one that has enough knock down power to take down alaska's big game animals. Thanks
    It
    Is a Ruger Hawkeye. It it a compact rifle that is not marketed as a "youth" or "womens". I started him with NEF single shots. They are not expensive, come in a lot of calibers, and I didn't mind cutting down a $150 gun. He just got this 308. He shot his caribou with a single shot NEF in .270. The Ruger runs about $800.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Congrats on getting to do one of the greatest hunts in the world. My daughters first deer was a spike and it's hanging on a purple wall.

Congrats on the hunt to both of you. Your son will remember the hunt for the rest of his life, that is for sure.Great job

Congrats to you and Gunner he is having a great season!

Way to go wolf killer on getting your son out there!!! I just shot my first blacktail last week that was only a little larger than your sons but I am a whole 14 years older . You both have a lot to be proud of!!! Thanks for sharing

Well done sir! Congrats to you both - and it sounds like it could have been a bit dangerous with the bear coming in so quickly!
    What cal is your Ruger single anyway?
    Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

congrats to both of you on your deer! awesome teaching there dad for him to say a spike is good enough. not critisizing at all only curious as to why did you try to chase the bear off the gut pile? was it in a position that jepodized your safety?

Always enjoy seeing the next generation of hunters. Congrats to you and Gunner.

My Ruger #1 is a.308
    The bear had steped past the gutpile and was sniffing our direction. I yelled at it so it would know there was more than a dead deer down there. After yelling it kept after us. I shot in front of him and that seemed to get his attention. He followed us just about to the beach. I am sure glad I got to keep my deer and didn't have to shoot the bear. Hopefully I will have a bear tag next year.

Love to see the infectious smile on the kids. Congrats Gunner and dad!

Looks like one happy kid, dad. I still remmember my first.
    Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast