Thread: Indications that a motor has been run in salt

Question Indications that a motor has been run in salt

How do you tell if a motor has been occassionally run is salt water? Are there any physical indications that would give it away? I've seen boats that are moored in salt; algae clinging on the lower unit, musscles attached to it, and discoloration of the lower unit. But what about a motor that has been occassionaly run in salt? Just by looking at it would there be any indications? Is it really a big deal if a motor has been run in salt 3-4 times a year?

Tim

There is nothing wrong with a motor that has been run in the salt, that is if taken care of properly after exiting the salt. Fresh water should be flushed through the motor everytime it is taken out of the salt. This will prevent the corrosion that salt water produces. Take note of the Anidodes (small lead looking things) one on the lower unit usally with a fin and usually one or more on the stern of the boat itself that look like lead bars. These will start to pit when a boat is in salt water. They take the brunt of corrosion so that the motor does not. They are made to be replaced so if one looks really bad, thats good, it is doing its job and not a big deal to replace it.

Default Salt Water

I think to many people worry about salt water way more than it's a major problem. Although without proper protection such as anoids ( cathodic Protection) or flushing it with fresh water and Salt Away every so often if not every time, could make it into a problem.
    Salt can leave a build up when it evaporates off. But gee it's not like the motors been run in acid or something. I only run in salt with my outboards and after 10 years wore them out, salt water had NO effect on them.

Thanks for clarifying Anoids, I knew I had the wrong name it was just sounding so close.
    I agree with proper care there is no reason to be afraid of the salt

Anodes.

They will pit regardless of whether they've been in salt water or fresh water.

Default Thanks for the replies

I haven't run my motor in salt yet but want to run my boat out of Whittier/Seward. I have "rabbit ears" (don't know the correct name) that enables me to run the motor in the driveway. Sounds like if I do this it would help flush out some of the salt.

Thanks,
    Tim

There are different anodes for salt water vs freshwater.