Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Hunting by boat on Denali highway rivers

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Willow, Alaska
    Posts
    10

    Default Hunting by boat on Denali highway rivers

    Ok, I am new here. Can anyone tell me what rivers are boatable on the Denali highway during hunting season, and where and how are the launch sites? I am looking to go next fall. Also how far can I go and have a safe trip. I have hunted Denali highway for years but never with a boat. Looking for moose and caribou.

  2. #2

    Default

    Nenanna, Susitna and Maclaren. All launches are in great shape and are located where the rivers come closest to the Highway.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3
    New member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Willow, Alaska
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Thanks AKres, I know there is a launch at the Susitna river bridge, and at the maclearn lodge, anyone know who far up or down stream you can boat safely? Can you boat down to hunt areas MM332, and DM333?

  4. #4
    Member Erik in AK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    With an airboat you can run the Susitna upstream from the bridge as far as you want to go (or until you smack the glacier). You can run down the Su to the Oshetna (much past that and you're in Watana Canyon--bad juju in an airboat). On the Maclaren you can run down from Maclaren Lodge (talk to Alan first) or you can run up the lower river from it's confluence with the Su. The middle part is a canyon with a boulder garden several miles long. You can also get quite a ways up the Nenana.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •