Thread: all purpose ATV

Default all purpose ATV

I've got two 23HP air cooled 4-stroke Vanguard (briggs & stratton) gas engines, a TIG welder, tube bender & tube notcher............

considering building two low geared all purpose ATV's (i.e. two identical vehicles each with one of the engines), or a single beast with both engines (would want to design so it could function with only one for breakdown emergencies). Ideally this thing(s) could go on snow, deep mud, and even float if necessary. Would want to be able to transport total of 6 people and camping/fishing gear.

Curious who's got any pictures of their sucessful wacky contraptions they would care to share?

PS: Not looking to do a hovercraft

It may be cheaper to just buy a used buggy with 48" tires ?

If you have money to burn, it would be nice to buy a russian built "Viking"

I did a little searching on U-tube. Some people have made tracked vehicles. One guy even made one with a turbo diesel engine. I wonder where you get the tracks and bogey wheels from? Neat idea, and I bet you gotta be pretty smart to build one.

6 people on 23hp? One thing is for sure, you won't be transporting them anywhere very fast! Sounds like fun project and you should have the tools to make something pretty cool happen.

sounds like your building an argo. they use that same engine in there conquest

Forty years ago we used to utilize a rig called a "dynamite". It was powered by a Briggs small engine, power was transmitted by dual radiator fan belts to a pulley on a pickup truck 4 speed tranny, pickup truck axles with limited slip differentials both front ane rear, dual tires at all four corners (chained up), and it steered by articulation. There was no cab. There was just a seat and wooden box behind the seat. It worked very well.

Then Honda Big Red three wheelers came out. Anybody with credit all of a sudden could drive into the woods. You didn't have to be a mechanic anymore.

The woods have never been the same.........

a SxS on tracks I take it?

Quote Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
    Forty years ago we used to utilize a rig called a "dynamite". It was powered by a Briggs small engine, power was transmitted by dual radiator fan belts to a pulley on a pickup truck 4 speed tranny, pickup truck axles with limited slip differentials both front ane rear, dual tires at all four corners (chained up), and it steered by articulation. There was no cab. There was just a seat and wooden box behind the seat. It worked very well.

Then Honda Big Red three wheelers came out. Anybody with credit all of a sudden could drive into the woods. You didn't have to be a mechanic anymore.

The woods have never been the same.........

i love my big red!
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    i love my big red!
    I got an '83 big Red, but liked the '84 better because of the shaft drive. Just a couple of years later I moved up to a 4x4 Foreman. Sometimes I'm tempted to buy another Big Red, but I wake up before I do it. There are lots of other toys to be had.

i wouldnt call a 4x4 forman a move up from a big red.. big red is king.
    Semper Fi!

I keep kicking around getting a couple of the 200 honda 3 wheelers just because I can toss them in the boat literally. Heck even a 110 would be fine.

(continues hijack)

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I keep kicking around getting a couple of the 200 honda 3 wheelers just because I can toss them in the boat literally. Heck even a 110 would be fine.

(continues hijack)

heck ya thats what i love about them, i can get them unstick without a winch and by myself.. can toss them around and if i flip them they aint heavy enough most the time to kill me.
    Semper Fi!

Find a Cushman Trackster. Drop in the Honda.

Want help? I asked this guy to build me a smaller version, but not yet. He has some serious coin into this one. Where do you want to go with your new toy?

http://www.amphib-alaska.com/index.htm
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.