Thread: National Forest/State Park question

Default National Forest/State Park question

I have been trying to find places to hunt fox and rabbit as well as trying to figure out the Alaska management area system. I am from south Georgia and where we hunt, it is either a management area and you can hunt there, or it is not. We don't have National Parks or Forests around, so figuring out where and where I can't hunt here in AK is getting confusing. I have checked the regs online etc. but nowhere have I found that it says where you can and can't hunt on National Park and State Park land. Any help would be great. I realize this might be a dumb flustration for most of you but I'd just like to finally know the answer. Thanks

Where are you from in south Georgia?
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Depends on about 67 different factors. Hard Park, Soft Park, Subsistence, where you live, etc. You will never figure it out. But, We will be happy to help you. Just Pick a spot you want to hunt, and state where you live, how long you have lived there, what you want to hunt, why you want to hunt it, what you propose to hunt with as in archery, rifle, shotgun, etc. have you lived in Alaska at least 366 days, how old are you, mothers maiden name, does your family have traditional use, does your family culture require the harvest of the animal, what type of boots will you be wearing.......? Camo (Full Camo or just the jacket). How will you access the area, on foot, car, truck, air craft........? And we will get back to you. (Just kidding, well kind-a but not much)...........

typically you can hunt on state park land, national parks outside of the "hard" park (only an issue around denali or in the wrangells, for the most part), national forests, BLM, and most other state or fed land outside military bases.
    exceptions are generally in the regs and identified on the GMU maps.
    there are way more places you can hunt then can't up here.
    where are you in the state?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Where are you from in south Georgia?
    I'm from Perry, GA

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    typically you can hunt on state park land, national parks outside of the "hard" park (only an issue around denali or in the wrangells, for the most part), national forests, BLM, and most other state or fed land outside military bases.
    exceptions are generally in the regs and identified on the GMU maps.
    there are way more places you can hunt then can't up here.
    where are you in the state?
    Thanks Dave. I am in the Anchorage area but I wouldn't mind going a little past Palmer or past Whittier a bit. So here is an interesting question for you....Flat top and Little O'maller are in a state park where hiking trails etc are. So is that area good to go for small game hunting as well? The only thing that the signs say at trail heads is : hunting is allowed in the park but refer to ADF&G. ???????

Quote Originally Posted by grinch424 View Post
    Thanks Dave. I am in the Anchorage area but I wouldn't mind going a little past Palmer or past Whittier a bit. So here is an interesting question for you....Flat top and Little O'maller are in a state park where hiking trails etc are. So is that area good to go for small game hunting as well? The only thing that the signs say at trail heads is : hunting is allowed in the park but refer to ADF&G. ???????
    You can hunt Small Game with a .22 rim fire or shotgun AFTER Labor day and before Memorial Day..(I think)

Quote Originally Posted by grinch424 View Post
    I'm from Perry, GA
    Perry is almost dead center.

I have family in the area. I shot my first white tail outside Ft. Valley.

Enjoy Ak.

I do!
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Yah--Perry is close to dead center but I grew up learning the there is north GA, central Ga (Macon) and south GA. LOL Either way, I already enjoy AK more than anything and I try to enjoy it even more every weekend.

Alaska's national preserves (about 20 million acres) are open to sport hunting and trapping. Some national parks are open to subsistence hunting by qualified rural residents. In general, state hunting regs apply on national preserves. You can get a good sense of where the preserves are located by checking http://www.nps.gov/state/AK/index.htm and using the links to individual units. Most of the individual sites have maps, although they are brochure-style, not meant for navigating in the field.