Thread: sheep hunting Metal Creek

Default sheep hunting Metal Creek

Does anyone know how far you can drive back to the creek before you half to walk?

Interesting question. Not very far in something like a honda civic. A little further in something like Subaru forester. A bunch closer in a F150 or most ATV's perhaps all the way too (and across) it if the water is low. Right up to and usually across it w/ a lifted 4x4. The real interesting thing will be wondering if you still have an ATV or how many bullet holes will be in whatever you leave down their by the creek while you wonder around the mountain for a few days.

There is a good trail that heads up the valley when you get to Metal creek. I've been up it a mile or so on wheelers and it didn't look like it was getting any smaller. I'm not sure how far you can go back in there. I'm guessing it is a mining trail.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

You can go back their till your rear tires going up hill pass under your front tires going back down. Either way I wouldn't leave my wheeler back there with any hope of walking back out to it and driving it home.

I have been up that trail by metal creek went about 3 miles before we hit a big bog it was froze/slushy with snow still up there. There was a hill that was a white knuckle drive up it because it was washed out one wrong move and the ranger would have been stuck big time. If I was putting in for a tag I would put in for Friday creek.

If I was putting in for any of them I would put in a reservation with a flight service. Other wise you are going to hike your tail off to get back there and find a dozen camps full of guys with fresh legs that already know where the sheep are because they "noticed" them when "scouting" the landing strip...

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    If I was putting in for any of them I would put in a reservation with a flight service. Other wise you are going to hike your tail off to get back there and find a dozen camps full of guys with fresh legs that already know where the sheep are because they "noticed" them when "scouting" the landing strip...
    Now that recommendation is golden.

All right thanks for the info.

If...if you can draw the permit for the Metal Creek area.....know that several 170+ B&C rams came out of there in past years.
    While I really disliked it when the entire Chugach from Palmer to Tonsina Lake/Klutina lake/Glennallen became permit areas, some large scoring rams will again be harvested soon in the Metal Creek and Grasshopper Valley.

dennis

Alright,it would be nice to get one. thanks.

Default The real interesting thing will be wondering if you still have an ATV or how many bul

Sounds like a perfect set up for a STING operation. Park the wheelers and go up the hillside just far enough and wait for them to mess with your wheeler.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Interesting question. The real interesting thing will be wondering if you still have an ATV or how many bullet holes will be in whatever you leave down their by the creek while you wonder around the mountain for a few days.
    Just wondering if you are speaking from experience? Why do you seem so certain that something would happen? Said state of affair when you have to worry about things like that.

Actually my polaris was stolen from elsewhere, rallied for a couple weeks and then discarded out there. We got it back but it was totally beaten. That area has gotten better but I still wouldn't leave anything unsupervised for long and expect it to still be there when I returned.

I agree I would not leave a truck, wheeler, bicycle unattended maybe for a few hours that's it. Leave it for a day or two or longer might as well call the insurance company. Matter of fact a forum member truck out jims creek was ran into while he was out riding.

...can't even tie down an super cub in that country without fearing some jerk "wheel-bouncing" the top of your wings....like happened to two aircraft just a few years ago....
    dennis

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    ...can't even tie down an super cub in that country without fearing some jerk "wheel-bouncing" the top of your wings....like happened to two aircraft just a few years ago....
    dennis
    I would like to hear about this if you don't mind.

Driveacub,
    Several years ago (wow, been five+ now that I'm thinking about it) two resident hunters flew into a well known bush strip in the Chugach and tied down their super cubs OFF TO ONE SIDE of the runray. There was a hog of a ram in the area, well know to all that fly out of Palmer and Anch.
    When they returned to thier airplanes another airplane had "wheel bounced" their wing tops. For an accomplished pilot, this is rather simple to do. It was known who did it. And yes, it was a snake of a guide. Although his insurance company dropped him from coverage, the troopers could do nothing. At an APHA meeting the Executive Director mentioned the incident but with a straight face failed to mentioned that any wrong doing had taken place. The guide/pilot involved had said the two aircraft were too close to the strip and that it had been an accidental wheel-to-wing-contact incident. Everybody, all 50 of the guides in the room simply hung their heads in collective sorry for the clear lie. Keep in mind that APHA placed no guilt on the snake guide, sitting in front of me at that time, who admitted to the "accidental incident". Both of the damaged aircraft needed to be airlifted out out considerable cost, and then of course their entire wings needed to be rebuilt.
    Want more, need more?
    ...just another reason why I initially began to lean away from that org....

(Sorry about the thread hyjacking....)
    dennis

Thanks,

I have a cublike PA12 and am able to land on pretty short strips. There are times when I leave it and hunt with my kids and other times when I drop one of them of (not usually) and let them hunt. I appreciate you reminding me that this type of thing has happened as it will cause me to be more alert and careful. Over the years I have sometimes walked to spots and cleared off a strip and later found others using it. On the other hand I have landed where somebody else obviously had been there first. As long as the strips are not blocked (one I made was) I consider them to be open to the public unless on private land. I've had my current plane since '75 and it has gone through some significant modifications.

You might want to find out off line EXACTLY which river drainage in the Talkeetnas this occurred in - assuming you like your plane the way it is ... at least that would be my recommendation.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

I live in chugiak too! My dad was looking for a good dall sheep hunter (other than me) to go with him to the brooks next year. If you would be willing that would be great.