Thread: snowmachine goggles

Default snowmachine goggles

anyone have any advice on some good goggles that aren't prone to fogging? i know thats a lot to ask as its hard not to fog em when its 30 below. I recently have to retire my oakleys and they were a good pair but after 9 years or so the foam is starting to come apart and pieces are going between the lenses. Just curious what you're using.

If you dont want fog at those temps a full enclosed with heated shield is the way to go. You will pay for it up front but you will be nice and warm and you wont have to buy goggles every few years. And if you are like me I have taken goggles off for a quick look around and left them or dropped them in the snow and lost them Alot harder to lose a helmet than goggles

Check out the 509 goggles. They are made for snowmachining with extra foam and a hinged strap to help with the fit when wearing a helmet, and offer many colors of lenses including polarized. They also offer a humidity sensor fan that pulls out moisture as needed.

ill have to check out those 509 goggles, i wont lie i dont wear a helmet just a sealskin hat and facemask.

I've been using Scott Turboflow goggles with my MX helmet attached with quik straps. The key is to take them off if you are stopping for more than a few seconds. As long as there was airflow, they stayed clear.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I have the Smith's.....just make sure you have the double lense if concerned about fogging.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    I've been using Scott Turboflow goggles with my MX helmet attached with quik straps. The key is to take them off if you are stopping for more than a few seconds. As long as there was airflow, they stayed clear.
    Pretty much my exact setup and results... I am a big fan of the no-fog face masks too which seem to work well at helping to combat fogging when on the move too bad they are about as sexy as an elephant seal.... Nothing will stop the fogging when sitting still except perhaps a fan like on the five0nines.

hmmm doo-talk has quite a thread on the 509s... http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index....ic=193929&st=0

I have a modular helemt that works GREAT, I may look a little wierd when out hunting, or fishing, but I wouldn't trade that comfort for anything. Down side is that they are quite a bit more pricey than goggles, but I have found it to work great up to -25.

Modulars are great for no fog capability, but if you are an aggressive rider I found they are a pain. They are heavier and the airflow was a bit restrictive when I got to breathing heavy.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

nothing like a good set of beergoggles.
    Semper Fi!

Default Goggles

I ride with Scott goggles they have a nice line of helmet goggles which keep me warm and I have never had any issues with fogging.

I also use Scott Turboflow goggles, and have never fogged up while moving. I sometimes ride in -50f. as long as you remove them when you stop!

Both 509 and Habervision have an small fan you can insert into their goggles that will circulate air and keep them from fogging. I have both Scott 89xi and 509 Sinister goggles. I love the 509's because I bought the polarized lens, which helps me in flat light.

I think the major key to not fogging was already brought up- use quick straps and pop your goggles free when you stop, and wear a no-fog mask. My no fog mask is so effective that I can leave my goggles on at a stop and even dig with them on and not fog.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

+3 for the 509's!

hmmm, ive been looking at the 509 sinisters and aviators and might give them a try.

I had a pair of the 509 sinister goggles when thay first came out. Best pair of goggles I have ever owned. The strap broke on mine shortly after I purchased them. A couple of years later I posted about it on a forum and 509 said that was a problem with the early models and thay would make it right with me even though I had no receipt and I had thrown the goggles away. i never took them up on the offer, but with customer service like that 509 will be the only goggles I will buy in the future.