Thread: 450 Bushmaster

Default 450 Bushmaster

Well before i get sent to Afghanistan with Northrop Grumman, they are going to let me have 2 weeks off for Thanksgiving. I have decided to go to NY for Whitetail. I decided to get a 450 Bushmaster upper for my AR. I have been wanting a hard hitting upper for my AR15, i just could never decide which one to get. I hope i dont regret not getting the 50 Beowulf.

If i manage to get a deer i will let you know how it works on them.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Sounds like fun! I am looking forward to seeing some pics!!

Let us know how that works out for you. I've been interested in them since they came out. Actually I've been interested in each of the big thumpers, the Alexander Arms 50 beowulf, the 458 SOCOM, and the 450 Bushmaster. I could easily carry around a M16/M4 type weapon for recreation. I think the majority of folks on this forum seem to shy away from a auto-loader but honestly, I don't see why. I guess my view has been shaded by having or carrying one since 1980, an mine were/are reliable. Congrats on the new toy, I bet it'll be a lot of fun.

AJ

I may have made a big mistake when i got my
    armalite AR10a4. Although The 308 is nice for caribou . I really like it but the main problem is that the Armalite has large hinge pins and you are limited to only Armalite products. (I may be interested in a trade for a Bushmaster). They only have uppers based on the 308 case for the AR10 ( 338 Federal ) I would like to go with the 450 or 50. Oh well i guess i can't complain. I picked it up five years ago @ $700.00 NIB with night sights inc. The guy needed cash in a hurry. Another case of don't drink and drive or else you may have to sell off your loved ones. (guns) To this date i have only 206 rounds through it and when i bought it, it had 0 rounds fired.

I haven't done this yet, but what I've researched puts the .458 SOCOM on top. For a handloader at least. I like the bottle necked round in a rifle and you don't need to modify the mags. Besides, I have two other .458 calibers, a lot of .458 bullets & molds & stuff.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Almost had a "small" problem, no ammo! I ordered my upper from Midway and the company that i ordered the ammo from had it is stock, (or so the website said), then i get an email today telling me that they are sold out... Great...
    I find some on GunBroker down in Alabama, (kinda funny since im down here for training), so i call them up, not messing around online, and i snatch up 10 boxes! AWESOME!!! After i placed the order they told me that they expect to run out of it sometime tomorrow, I got lucky this time. 200 rounds should last me awhile before i need to reload them.
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Maine_iac View Post
    I may have made a big mistake when i got my
    armalite AR10a4. Although The 308 is nice for caribou . I really like it but the main problem is that the Armalite has large hinge pins and you are limited to only Armalite products. (I may be interested in a trade for a Bushmaster). They only have uppers based on the 308 case for the AR10 ( 338 Federal ) I would like to go with the 450 or 50. Oh well i guess i can't complain. I picked it up five years ago @ $700.00 NIB with night sights inc. The guy needed cash in a hurry. Another case of don't drink and drive or else you may have to sell off your loved ones. (guns) To this date i have only 206 rounds through it and when i bought it, it had 0 rounds fired.
    AK Maine iac,

Here's an interesting site: http://www.ar-10-rifles.com/index.php I have no dealings with them other that a phone call 3 years ago. They advertise very accurate products.

ASI Upper Receiver 450 MARLIN 21”L x .936” Dia., for Armalite AR10 lowers

1. Standard rifle length fiberglass free float tube with no visible gas block
    2. ASI 360 Degree Maxi Brake (sure make’s it a smooth shooter)
    3. 1-MOA accuracy guarantee @ 100 Yards 3 shot group with selected factory ammo

ORDER #018 PRICE $1569.95

when i get my ar10 i plan on going through Accuracy Systems. Its a toss up between the 450Marlin and the 325wsm.

my 450Bushmaster is a very accurate rifle, more so than i expected. I still havent had a chance to shoot a deer with it but ive still got another week.
    Josh

I just finished my 458 socom build and I got the chance to use it on a Sitka black tail bear hunt recently and I even had some success. It didn't cause to much damage to the deer. I was using a 330 grain hollowpoint bullet, I punched it right behind the front shoulder and had a clean pass through. I love the gun.

I will post a picture when I get them uploaded.

Quote Originally Posted by jamill45 View Post
    I just finished my 458 socom build and I got the chance to use it on a Sitka black tail bear hunt recently and I even had some success. It didn't cause to much damage to the deer. I was using a 330 grain hollowpoint bullet, I punched it right behind the front shoulder and had a clean pass through. I love the gun.

I will post a picture when I get them uploaded.
    A black tailed bear? I knew that bears were predators but I was unaware that they were "sexual" predators!! Assaulting a deer like that is just shameful! Jokes aside, I would really like to see the pics. I have been considering putting together a 458 for a float gun. I am curious what furniture you outfitted it with. I have heard that the 6 pos stocks can't take the recoil, but that sure would be my preference.

Lujon- Sorry I meant deer instead of bear. My bad.

I dont know about the 6 position stock and them taking the recoil because they arent comfortable for me so I dont use them at all. I really like the fixed stock and I dont really think the recoil is too bad.

Here is the Entrance hole. The exit hole is a little smaller then the entrance hole. I was very happy with the performance of the bullet/ gun.

which ACOG do you have on there?
    Josh

Its a 4x32 power with the red chevron reticle.

did you pick that up new for that upper or did you already have it? I am thinking of getting one for my 450Bushmaster since its a "short range" rifle, and the ACOG's can take a beating. Im just not really sure what to get, the 4x or 6x... i'll prob end up going with the 4.
    Josh

Its my Dad's acog. He had it on a .223 ar and wasnt using it much so I am borrowing it on my socom to see if I like it before I send the money on getting a new one. I really like the 4 power.

yeah LOL, i like the 4x too... its a bit cheaper than the 6x.
    Josh