Thread: Spotlight

Default Spotlight

Is it legal to use a spotlight when calling in Alaska?

It is illegal to use artificial light when hunting in Alaska.

No it isnt. You can spotlight under a trapping license.

take furbearers with the aid of a pit, fire, light (other than sunlight or moonlight), electronically enhanced night vision scope, radio communications, cellular or satellite telephones, artificial salt lick, explosives, expanding gas arrow, bomb, smoke, chemical (excluding scent lures), or a conventional steel trap with an inside jaw spread over 9 inches. Exceptions: Killer-style trap with a jaw spread of less than 13 inches may be used and artificial light may be used for the purpose of taking furbearers Nov. 1- Mar. 31 in Units 7 and 9-26 during an open season;

I said it is illegal to hunt using artificial light... That is a factual statement.

You are correct but since this was posted in the Trapping section and refers to calling one would assume he means under a trapping license.

This is the trapping and predator HUNTING forum. The OP didn't ask if it was legal to trap with a spotlight.

LOL I know I was just giving you crap although you can still shoot predators and spotlight it doesn't necessarily mean for trapping with traps only under a trapping license anything you can take with a trap can also be taken with a rifle. SO in short if you are using a trapping license for whatever you are shooting as long as it is covered and you are within bag limits you are good to go. For big game and things under a hunting license Spotlighting is a big no no unless you are recovering or tracking wounded or downed game of course.

Technically there are certain animals that can be trapped with a rifle but not all furbearers are legal to shoot. Beavers for instance are only able to be harvested with a trap in most areas. Other than that you are correct and I was just being a smart arse myself... I did hold back a bit, my original post was going to be "YES, it is absolutley legal for you to use a spotlight when calling, you just cant hunt with one...."

Boy I thought this was going to be a real thriller of a thread and you two had to to kiss and make up. Will time to move on to the next hot topic. Will done you two.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Yes I meant calling in predators under a trapping license. Wolves,coyotes,lynx,fox and such.....I would read the regs and it sounded like you could but then another paragraph would seem that you couldnt.

[QUOTE Beavers for instance are only able to be harvested with a trap in most areas.]

Whats the definition of 'most'. just skimming the trap regs it looks like you can whack beavers in at least 12 units. Thats **** close to half of the units. Far cry from 'most'
    Henry Bowman for President