Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mooching Reels?

Default Mooching Reels?

Anyone use mooching reels with downriggers as opposed to baitcasters? I was reading elsewhere, and it seems like these are popular in the pacific northwest. Seems like the right tool for the job, but it is enough of a battle to get less experienced guests to work with the downriggers, but I would be interested if others here use them and what they like and don't like about them.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Jim, I've really been looking into them as well. I got some info from a guy on the alloy forum and I think I may get two rod and real set ups for next year.
    Boatless

They're lots of fun, and lend themselves well to downrigger fishing. Newbies will be challenged, but if you don't mind a few foibles (breakoffs on nice fish due to person clamping down on handles), they really are a hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Vek View Post
    They're lots of fun, and lend themselves well to downrigger fishing. Newbies will be challenged, but if you don't mind a few foibles (breakoffs on nice fish due to person clamping down on handles), they really are a hoot.
    If you were going to explain this to someone who doesn't know anything about them (me), where would you start?

Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    If you were going to explain this to someone who doesn't know anything about them (me), where would you start?
    Here are a couple of threads on this that got me started thinking about it:

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/wa...ing-reels.html

There is a picture of one in this thread:

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...d.php?t=597662
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

In BC a good number of people use them when trolling for salmon.
    A lot of the guides use them as well.
    One of the big benefits is they are easier to maintain than a level wind and have much fewer partsthat can break.
    The cream of the crop in mooching reels are made by Islander in BC. They are built like an over sized fly reel with very good drags.
    The one drawback is you pay for the quality.

http://www.islander.com/products.php...rue&lblw=false

Wow, that antireversing reel (the middle link) is $565!
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post

Told you they weren't cheap, but neither are high end fly reels.

I use the largest Shimano Moocher set-ups on my bigger fly-rods for angling swift river Kings on rafting trips. Great rig for outfitting/guiding with lots of mechanical control and lightning fast retrieve like a large arbor.

These things are near indestructible, super simple, not too expensive, versatile, and very resistant to the elements or commercial outfitting abuse. They are also line savers!!!

A post asked the question with regards to advice on not breaking off when fighting a larger fish.... Big star drag is straightforward in operation. Greatest advice I can provide here is 'ALLOW THE MOOCHING REEL TO MECHANICALLY DO THE WORK' not your hands on the cranks when a big fish takes a run. In other words... as the fish starts tugging the line out - remove your hands from the reel altogether, and let the reel provide a very controlled friction.

These are great reels - so don't let the $80 price seem too good to be true. I use, outfit, as well as retail these reels and have never had any issues or unsatisfied customers with the Shimano Moocher.

Well, that's the one I would want if I was to do it. Maybe I'll try a less expensive outfit and see if it's as fun as some think, then go from there. I'm still trying to sort out the benefit vs. a baitcaster. Any help or opinions on that?

I am thinking FISHFACE needs to get four of these so that I can borrow a couple this summer and he can still get a feel for how they work... In case he is not as generous as rumored, I will have to look into the Shinamos.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I am thinking FISHFACE needs to get four of these so that I can borrow a couple this summer and he can still get a feel for how they work... In case he is not as generous as rumored, I will have to look into the Shinamos.
    Jim I don't think $2,260 is too much for a baby present! Just drop them off at the office for me
    Boatless

penn 109 is the ol tried and true. ive used everything. my personal salmon mooching rod has a penn 109 backed with spectra w about 100ft of fluoro. easy to fix, parts everywhere, best reel ive fished.

It's a direct drive reel - the handles are fixed to the spool (this is true for the cheap shimano and daiwa varieties I've used - I don't know about an islander or its knockoffs). If you have a death grip on the handles, no line will play out when the fish pulls hard. You can see where that will go (twang).

They're called "knucklebusters" for a reason. If the fish is pulling hard, you get your hand clear of the handles, and then you have the option of using your palm to apply some additional drag if you like. If you get your knuckles near the spinning handles, they get rapped.

I don't know about the islanders and their knockoffs, but the drag on the cheapies isn't the greatest for tension and smoothness. I've not yet farted around with swapping in a greased carbon fiber washer a la Alan Tani. So I keep the drag setting light enough that it holds tension against the downrigger release, but isn't really tight enough to pull back against a strong running king. My palm applies that extra bit of drag on a running fish. With this drag setting that's just enough to hold the rod tense against the release, you don't need to adjust the drag to lower your downrigger weight - just drop at a controlled rate and it's hands-off the rod. That's one reason they're handy for downrigging.

I'm still trying to sort out the benefit vs. a baitcaster. Any help or opinions on that?
    As I stated above, they are much like a big fly reel with a lot less parts to break and are much easier to maintain.
    If you wanted to you could take a big fly reel (if you own on) and spool it up with mono and try it out on the water.
    The BC guys are also using longer rods with these reels. Usually 10 1/2 foot Diawa or Shimano mooching rods.
    The good thing is at least the rods are fairly inexpensive.

If you want some reel laughs use one of the Peetz mahogany units.

Yes it's 100% manual just like it looks still made today by Peetz manufacturing in Victoria BC.

theerotictoystore

I am theerotictoystore .can anyone interested to know about me then contact me and fell free your query...

Adult Lingerie
    Adult DVDs
    Adult Sex Toys
    Adult Toy Store

Anyone use mooching reels with downriggers as opposed to baitcasters? I was reading elsewhere, and it seems like these are popular in the pacific northwest. Seems like the right tool for the job, but it is enough of a battle to get less experienced guests to work with the downriggers, but I would be interested if others here use them and what they like and don't like about them.
    Hi Jim, is this what you guys are talking about?...this is the set up we used on a one day guided trip in the quenn charlottes this summer.....one each side....i had never used one before, but found them a blast,,,,the wife thought they were too much work, since it's a one to one ratio with the line reltreive, fun when the fish took out the line, but you really had to crank to keep the line tight when the fish ran toward the boat!....the guide was very fast with the down rigger setup....i am not sure what the reel was, shimano etc, but i'm sure they were not expensive!!....at this point we have 4 penn level winds, but will add a couple of these for in the near future,,,,hopethis helps larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

Quote Originally Posted by bcriverhunter View Post
    Hi Jim, is this what you guys are talking about?...this is the set up we used on a one day guided trip in the quenn charlottes this summer.....one each side....i had never used one before, but found them a blast,,,,the wife thought they were too much work, since it's a one to one ratio with the line reltreive, fun when the fish took out the line, but you really had to crank to keep the line tight when the fish ran toward the boat!....the guide was very fast with the down rigger setup....i am not sure what the reel was, shimano etc, but i'm sure they were not expensive!!....at this point we have 4 penn level winds, but will add a couple of these for in the near future,,,,hopethis helps larry
    The reel on that rod is an Islander MR2, not inexpensive at about $600 but arguably the best mooching reels made.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    The reel on that rod is an Islander MR2, not inexpensive at about $600 but arguably the best mooching reels made.
    thanks drifter for the heads up!...didnt know i was usuing a $600 reel!..the guide was taking his chances with us two rookies!!....i just told the mrs how much they cost..and guess what?....she said we dont need those that bad!!....hmmm, now how can i slip that by her???...here is the other side of the boat and the set up!..thanks again for the heads up!...larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast