Thread: Trail Report - Denali Highway - Cantwell to Mile 68.

Default Trail Report - Denali Highway - Cantwell to Mile 68.

Can we start a new thread with new trail reports? Something like Trail reports 2010/2011?

Anyhow, we have more snow this year then we had in late January last year! We had a nice base of thick wet snow this year that we didn't have last year also, which makes all the difference.

We have a brand new picture taken yesterday on our home page: http://www.alpinecreeklodge.com/

I put it here because I'm unable to put any pictures up on here as it says I'm over the limit.

Snow is good enough for riding, and we had our first rider come in this weekend. Note that they have plowed a 7 mile section from Valdez Mine Road to just short of the Gracious House. They have plowed down the middle, but the rider coming in said there was very little gravel that he encountered.

Thanksgiving is still wide open!

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Best bet is to get a photobucket.com account and upload your photos there then you can just paste the [ img] code into the forum post box and it will display the pics. Photobucket makes it really easy and preconfigures all of the "code" for you so all you have to do is copy and paste.

I checked out the pic on your site and it is simply beautiful!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Best bet is to get a photobucket.com account and upload your photos there then you can just paste the [ img] code into the forum post box and it will display the pics. Photobucket makes it really easy and preconfigures all of the "code" for you so all you have to do is copy and paste.

I checked out the pic on your site and it is simply beautiful!
    problem is those of us that pay for our memberships... should not be over the limit on photos... Thats part of the paid membership.... we have been patient since the Bulletin upgrade... but have seen no changes..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    problem is those of us that pay for our memberships... should not be over the limit on photos... Thats part of the paid membership.... we have been patient since the Bulletin upgrade... but have seen no changes..
    yeah, blame the admin guys. That's not my side of the coin... <grin> I just try and toss out helpful hints to get people working with what we have....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    yeah, blame the admin guys. That's not my side of the coin... <grin> I just try and toss out helpful hints to get people working with what we have....
    well once in awhile they need a few reminders
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Just rode out to Cantwell from Alpine Creek Lodge today. Spent 3 days out there with the gang and had a really great time. The road is in great shape, even where the miners plowed it. I'm not really into boondocking but there were people out doing it. Looked like there was 18 inches to 2 foot of snow to play in. The streams are still open. The ice on the lakes looked very thin.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Just so every one is aware. The road has now been plowed from Cantwell to Sustina Lodge in an effort to recover the F-22 and to locate the missing Pilot.

The road is actually plowed to just past mile 68.
    Get Lost! (and like it!) Come to Alpine Creek Lodge! http://www.alpinecreeklodge.com/

annoying, but i hope they find this guy. figured they'd just chopper in and pull out the plane, they gonna plow right into butte creek or wherever the crash is?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Probably, they have to send in inspectors to try to find out what happened to make the plane crash. Then they have to remove all the parts. Big operation.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

i bet if the teir I hunt was still open they'd have found all this alot quicker....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I use to be involved in military aircraft recovery operations. First is this cratered in, they will have to build a road to the accident site for recovery. Second is the hole filled with water which contains a bunch of other materials, that will have to be pumped and recovered or cleaned. On one of our other operations they brought in a clam bucket to help recover the pieces from an A-10 that went into a drainage back in Indiana. We were on at site nearly 2 months. Just to give you an idea and we were up against some of the worst winter weather they had seen in years.

I would expect at least a month for the initial recovery and then they will check the site thru the spring and try to restore the area come summer.

Ok it's offical....the road is mostly dirt to Sustina lodge and plowed to Alpine Lodge. An easy drive with a vehicle.

Anyone wanting to visit with Alpine Lodge may want to "DEFINATELY CALL" before going out there. The military was trying to work a deal with them for rooms and kind of a R&R area for those working on site is the word I got today. I was thinking about doing a Thanksgiving trip but got this info today from friends that were at Alpine this weekend.