Thread: Add to sides-Winter project

Default Add to sides-Winter project

I have a Grumman 1752 semi-V, side console....mostly welded that has a 20" sides and transom and I have more than once had waves wash over the sides near the stern especially when working a fish and not really paying attention. I know...pay attention!

I could just get a bigger boat, but I am thinking of getting 10" wide, 10' long piece of 0.125" alum and making the sides of the boat higher by 8". For a few hundred bucks it should fix the problem and make the boat safer....lot cheaper than a new boat!

The gunnel cap is rivited on and is only welded in the corners so it would not be difficult to remove and replace on top of the new sides. The new AL would be overlapped 2" on the existing sides and attached with a double row of rivets spaced 2" OC. I was also thinking about "hat stringers" vertically every 18" to stiffen the sides and some side rails as well. I have all the tools from plane and float repair work.

Has anyone done a mod like this and if so any pointers or comments or lessons learned?

Thanks,

Joe

I would imagine that you could get an 8" rail welded up on the side then just pop rivet in some angle along the top of the existing rails and add a piece of lexan as a splash shield. I think that would look a lot more "finished" and it would eliminate any sharp edges which I think would pose a safety risk with your plan (provided I understand you correctly).

Lujon,

That would probably work as well and would be plenty strong. That would look nice as well.

My intent is to replace the 1 1/2" rail which I would remove from the existing sides and front on the top of the new piece of AL and weld the corners together so there would be no sharp edges to be concerned with. I actually was going to use Lexan on the stern to prevent water coming in from there.

Well whatever you decide to do make sure to post up some pics of the process. Plenty of folks here always looking for ideas!

Wilco.

I'm pretty much picture challenged...making an image appear magically on a post is beyond my capability./ Maybe I can email some and have some smarter than me post them.

Still in the thinking stage so if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,

Joe

I'm about half done with the sides and am replacing some rotten deck as well and moving the side controls forward. The more I look at it, the more I think it needs a windshield and hard top too...guess I should finish the sides first.

I'd be happy to provide some pictures if anyone is interested and knows how to post them.

lowrider, the easiest thing to do is to go to www.photobucket.com and take about 5 minutes to open an account. Once open follow the steps to create a folder and upload some pictures. They make it extremely easy. Once uploaded there will be several fields with "code" in them next to any picture you open. Just click on the one that starts with [img] and it will automatically copy the code. Then to make your picture "magically' appear you just paste the "code" into the reply box just as if you were writing a regular text response. Hit "post reply" and bingo your image is there and we all get to tell you how great it looks!

With the help of one off-spring I was able to get what I hope will be pictures to magically appear....confidence level is low!!

Progress is being made. Sides are complete and the "superstructure" for the cabin in underway. Cabin is 5'-0" wide in the front and 6'-4" wide in the rear and 7'-0" long with 3'-0" in the bow which will be accessable thru the 4'-0" x 2'-0" walk-thru windshield. Inside head clearance ranges from 5'-9" to 6'-3".

Live well is gone and the space formerly occupied by two 6 gallon tanks will hold a 22 gallon fuel cell that is on order. Rear starboard side will have oil injection tank and storage and the port side will house 2 batteries and storage. That will give me roughly a 7'-0" long deck in the stern which should allow enough room for fishing. Fore and aft decks I think will allow fly fishing as well normal casting and trolling. 2 seats outside in the rear deck and provisions for one on the bow.

Controls will be on the starboard side inside cabin and the seats will be removeable allowing sleeping inside the cabin if desired. and also the ability to cook inside on a Coleman if necessary. No insulation is planned but may consider a small infrared propane heater. I am building the cabin roof strong enough to carry my Ultimate 12 and I suppose the 16' Old Town Penobscot if necessary. Both are light enough to load up and down in case we want to explore in the canoe or fish from the Ultimate. Cabin will have the obligatory gun racks, stereo, rod holders and so on and I'm welding in some plate for my 6 hp Johnson for trolling and will hook up with the steering but no throttle control.

Our plan is to move to the area around Sandpoint, ID once my wife retires so this will be a large lake and deep river boat and until then will be used in Chesapeake Bay and the rivers around it.

I can try for pictures if anyone is interested if I can cornor a child to help. Posting pictures is not as easy for me as I thought...rebuilding my boat is MUCH simpler!!

Joe

Looking good

Just got 2 sheets of 0.090" 6061 yesterday for the roof. and have the major structural parts in place as well as front and rear cabin doors framed and the front door constructed. I'm getting ready to do the windows and am trying to deciede on fold out or sliders. Hinged fold out will be much easier to make and will probably be more weather tight, but the sliders have a certain appeal. Going to order 1.5" tubing for railing and hand holds. At any rate, I'm moving along.

Question?

Does anyone have an ideas about what to use in the inside. I'm thinking vinyl may draw damp since it is clothe backed. I plan to use contact cement or weather strip adhesive to stick closed cell foam to the walls and ceiling for insulation and sound deadening.

Attachment 45042Attachment 45041

With the help of magic and one son the above shows progress so far. Target date for completion is before the opening of trophy strippers on 16 April....so far on schedule and below cost estimates....how can that be?