Thread: Broken Cartridge Casing...

Default Broken Cartridge Casing...

...stuck inside the chamber.

The bullet fired OK but now I got to try to figure out how to remove the front portion of the casing. Any suggestions much appreciated.

The gun in question is a Savage model 99 chambered in Savage 22 hi power. It's pretty much of an obsolete gun now but I still like to shoot it every few years. Near as my research tells me it was made in 1912. I have some reloads for it, but the shell I was using that broke was a factory load. I think this ammo was still available into the 1950's which means the ammo I was using was pretty old.

I believe the rifle is a takedown model, but if so it hasn't been apart in about 45 years.

Here's a couple of pictures of my dilemma.

Thanks, Jay

The easiest way I know is to plug the bore right in front of the chamber, then pour in Cerrosafe to overlap the rear of the broken case. Once it cools and hardens, use a range rod to drive the chamber cast (along with the broken case) back out of the chamber. The fact that it's a takedown sure eases the job of pouring in the Cerrosafe!

Nice rifle, and a sincere prize. I really enjoyed the ballistics of the one I used to own (sorry I sold it), but the selection of .228 bullets for reloading is pretty skinny. I've had old factory loads in a variety of calibers split or part as you describe, so I'm not surprised.

Yep, what Brownbear said. I've removed dozens of seperated cases with the method he described. Don't try sticking any sharp tools into the chamber, you'll run the risk of gouging or scratching the chamber walls, and thats a bad deal.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

hap

That sure looks like classic casehead seperation from repeated reloading... Just saying.
    art

cero-safe sure seems like the safest way to go. I have read about more than a few using a tap sized just right and running it into the case then tapping it out with a brass cleaning rod from the muzzle. For me I would probably fix it with my check book. (drop it off at smith, pick it up working)

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    cero-safe sure seems like the safest way to go. I have read about more than a few using a tap sized just right and running it into the case then tapping it out with a brass cleaning rod from the muzzle. For me I would probably fix it with my check book. (drop it off at smith, pick it up working)
    What LuJon says works for me. You may be able to get a tap in it from the breach side and then gently tap it out with a rod from the muzzle. Old ammo?....my guess would be some of the old corrosive powders once made, slowly ate away at the inside of the casing leaving a thin weak spot at powder level. JMO
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Well I'm a young fella I guess and don't like reinventing the wheel when this has happened to me and it has. I run a cleaning rod from the chamber end out the bore screw a bore brush on and pull it back out a hey ho broken case comes out. You can try that or go buy some creo whatever it is called make a big mess or go the other route.

Cerrosafe doesn't "make a big mess". Actually it's very tidy. People are generally afraid of those things they don't understand. If the case is stuck hard, no amount of bore brush is going to remove it. But hey, I just work on guns for a living, so what do I know.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I would try a brush first as it's quick and easy and won't hurt anything. That looks like case head separation from really old ammo and it probably won't be stuck to hard. If the brush doesn't work, then try the cerro-safe. It's not messy and won't hurt anything either. But, don't try the tap unless you really know what your doing as that can mess up a chamber.

You might want to go over to Brownells web site and see about a broken case remover.