Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 270 wsm OR 25-06 for good long range rifle??

Default 270 wsm OR 25-06 for good long range rifle??

I'm looking at getting a new rifle for deer hunting, the ballistics on both rifles look great and I'm debating on whether or not the additional performance of the 270WSM is worth the additional kick.

Anyone out there have experience with either of these? I'm looking at the SAKO 85 synthetic stainless for both rifles.

Thanks!

How far is long range for you and what bullet are you wanting to use?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i have yet to find a 270WSM yet that loads nice... got one POS expensive browning that kicks them up i nkow others have had issues with theres to.. the shoulder is too steep for the little neck of the WSM in that cal... i know they are out there... but.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I personally love the 25-06. Lot of good memories with that round hunting small southern white tails, yotes and such, I am assuming you are talking about blacktails though, because anything bigger like northern white tails, mulies or such it would be a bit under powered in my opinion. But it's a great round for 50-150 pound game. shoots long and flat and really fast. I have seen some bullets fragment pretty bad with it though. I think it would depend on bullet size.... Make an awesome pred gun though for wolves and yotes.
    60% of men don't know what they have until they lose it
    15% aren't sure but figure it's better than nothing
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

A 7wsm would be the best, if the OP truly wanted a "Long Range" rifle.. 270wsm has some good bullets, but no ultra high BC bullets like the .284 162 Amax which has a BC of .625. BC means a whole lot when shooting at ranges considered long range, especially in AK which is notorious for wind.

I love the 25-06. On Monday I'm mailing off all the components to have a lightweight 25-06AI built on a Remington 700 Titanium action, for hunting alpine bucks. I plan on shooting 100gr Barnes TSX's and 100gr Swift Sciroccos and would be confident with those ballistics for any shooting situation I might encounter. But, I wouldn't consider it a true "Long Range" rifle.

But again, if the original poster thinks 300 yards is Long Range, then either a 25-06 or 270wsm will work fine.

get a .264 win mag. stainless barrel, 26 in length.
    load 72 grains 4831 behind a sierra 100 gr hpbt.
    gun can shoot better than your eye and reflexes will allow.

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
    get a .264 win mag. stainless barrel, 26 in length.
    load 72 grains 4831 behind a sierra 100 gr hpbt.
    gun can shoot better than your eye and reflexes will allow.
    Didn't know Sierra made a .264 100gr with a boat tail. Surely you aren't recommending the 100gr Varminter bullet with a BC of .3?

I guess that long range is a relative term , with lots of practice I would like to feel confident with a 500 yard shot if needed.

Thanks for the input!

in june i bought 2 boxes of sierra 100 gr hollow point boat tail from highlander guns on montezomza just before you get to safeway in prescott, az.
    the owner didn't know if they were old stock or new.
    i assumed they were newer, since i had never seen them before, but i always buy 300-500 booolets at a time.
    it had been a few years since i bought .264 booolets.
    i have loaded/fired several thousand sierra 100 gr hp in the past 38 years.
    my B I L claims to have loaded/fired these hpbt booolets with great satisfaction in recent years.
    i chronied the 100 hp sierra booolets, leveled to case top with 4831, compressed, with large rifle primers at 3721 fps several times.
    LOVE IT!

ps: i have tried sierra .264 @ 87 gr hp a few times with unsatisfactoy results. not as accurate, not as fast and much more unstable in windy conditions. ain't worth the effort when you already have a proven load.
    Last edited by bilbo; 11-13-2010 at 22:23. Reason: corrected data

My buddy shot this big 2x3 Sitka Blacktail this Aug (I was hunting with him) at 500 yards on the rangefinder, with his Kimber Montana 270 WSM. He was shooting 140gr Accubonds and using a Leupold 4.5x14-40 scope with Boone and Crockett reticle. He made a perfect lung shot. Buck went about 40 yards before he toppled over. 270wsm will get you to 500 on deer.

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
    in june i bought 2 boxes of sierra 100 gr hollow point boat tail from highlander guns on montezomza just before you get to safeway in prescott, az.
    the owner didn't know if they were old stock or new.
    i assumed they were newer, since i had never seen them before, but i always buy 300-500 booolets at a time.
    it had been a few years since i bought .264 booolets.
    i have loaded/fired several thousand sierra 100 gr hp in the past 38 years.
    my B I L claims to have loaded/fired these hpbt booolets with great satisfaction in recent years.
    i chronied the 100 hp sierra booolets, leveled to case top with 4831, compressed, with large rifle primers at 3871 fps several times.
    LOVE IT!
    Hot load. Don't blow your face off. That's about the worst long range deer bullet anybody could dream up.

no one dreamed this up. someone engineered it with experience. i have this cartridge in a rem 700; bought new in 1971. my bro in law shoots identical gun....bought same day as mine. another friend has a win pre64. all of us use this load since 1971. all have shot thousands rounds each.
    all have killed MANY deer and antelope with one shot kills. all love this load and have never even HEAR RUMORS of someone losing a face. many people have LOST FACE as a result of losing a bet on long range results.
    this load is 1/2 gr heavier than sierra manual. reason we use it is it eliminates the risk for inconsistent loads....just fill up the case!...tap once and check level again.
    i have never lost an animal, never tore up meat, never wasted meat, never had to track for miles an animal hit ineffectively.
    i have never had ruptured case, flattened primers, or any indications of over pressure of any kind.
    sorta like driving a FAST car. be confident, be experienced, be realistic and don't drive recklessly.
    my kills are usually upper neck....immediate desired results, no need to bleed carcass and no animal suffering...and i still "save (my) face".
    i have seen 600 yards deer kills with this load.
    you DO need to be careful and selective.
    if you are prone to buck fever, rushing your shots, taking chances, unable to accurately measure/calculate distances, then don't use it!
    don't need an argument.... .just stating facts, not stuff....just don't understand claim of worst long range deer bullet anyone could dream up. sure a lot of statements that are real eyebrow twitchers.
    we all have free agency in our decisions....if you are uncomfortable with this load or anything i have said, then don't use these loads.
    i have no vested interest in what anyone does, believes or says about this. i am stating my own considerable experience....with a complete face, ugly as it may be!
    still don't know why it is the worst load.............................................. .

My Primary rifle right now is a Sako 85 Stainless Synthetic in .270wsm and I am real happy with it. The only time i had problem with the steep shoulder causeing a slight hitch in chambering was when I was using "Necksized" reloads.
    If you are a reloader you'll know what that means, not a problem to worry about in the field(you'll always Full Length size hunting rounds anyway). If Necksizing doesn't mean anything to you, you are going to be using Factory Ammo I doubt that will be an issue for your choice in .270wsm. I'd highly recommend Reloading tho as Factory loads could be part of that problem and it is a serious deal Vince mentions.

As for comparison, my last primary harvest rifle for many years was a Browning A-bolt 25-06 and I loved it with a passion. many one shot collapses on Deer and Caribou. It was Extremely Flat Shooting and honestly I would not hesitate to recommend it highly. I'll be buying another sometime for sure. May be easier to find ammo for, maybe.

Both are perfect to Reload for with a huge variety of bullets available.

Between the two as far as kick goes, I was surprised at the minimal kick of the .270wsm. It really seems like a darn .22LR to me but I am 195lb or so. If it was for your young child or a smaller guy/girl, etc. the 25-06 was definitely lighter on the shoulder but both are not an issue in my opinion. I really expected the WSM to kick more than it does but Sako REALLY knows how to design stocks I believe and you will find it is like shooting a Weatherby or something for the way that baby feels to shoot. Just REALLY smooth and Nice.

Good Choice in the 85, since I bought mine last December I have run nearly 900 rounds through it reloading and it only gets smoother. Have made one shot kills of Black Bear, Blacktail, Roosevelt Elk, and Mt. Goat tho none have been over 212yds
    It seems to be super fast and flat shooting for me at that range and could undoubtedly go out there nicely but
    for 500yds, etc. I think I'd choose the 25-06, don't swerve from the Sako 85 tho, you're gonna love that rifle
    Oh yeah rereading your OP, if it is just for Deer Hunting, go 25-06, that's just a Deer Slayer caliber if ever there was. Not worth the kick difference or extrapowder you'll use at the bench, or potential shoulder/chambering issue of the .270wsm, That 25-06 which reach out there perfectly for any Deer, even Colorado Mule Deer, mine did, and very well

Keep us informed what you do there, would love to hear about it later
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I have both a 270 wsm and a 25-06. If you live around the Anch-Eagle River area, you are more than welcome to shoot them at Birchwood. It is only a 300 yd range, but it may help w/ your decision.

I am a big fan of the 25-06 (though I dont own one). several of my friends and relatives use this rifle and I have never heard anything bad...... about the 270 wsm I have heard stories that lead me to believe that it can be an inconsistant round but I have never fired one. I would give my opinion that the 25 is a good long range round and I have seen it used for elk several times in montana with no hic-ups good luck with your new rifle whatever you choose

257 Weatherby magnum is all that needs to be said.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    A 7wsm would be the best, if the OP truly wanted a "Long Range" rifle.. 270wsm has some good bullets, but no ultra high BC bullets like the .284 162 Amax which has a BC of .625. BC means a whole lot when shooting at ranges considered long range, especially in AK which is notorious for wind.

I love the 25-06. On Monday I'm mailing off all the components to have a lightweight 25-06AI built on a Remington 700 Titanium action, for hunting alpine bucks. I plan on shooting 100gr Barnes TSX's and 100gr Swift Sciroccos and would be confident with those ballistics for any shooting situation I might encounter. But, I wouldn't consider it a true "Long Range" rifle.

But again, if the original poster thinks 300 yards is Long Range, then either a 25-06 or 270wsm will work fine.

Who is building your new 25-06AI rifle for you?

Jim Kobe.

Components are:

Rem 700 Ti LA Action
    Lilja .257 1-10, 3 Groove Barrel, finished at 22"- Rem Mountain Rifle Contour - chambered in 25-06AI
    Mcmillian Edge Stock in Rem Mountain Rifle
    Rifle Basix Trigger
    Williams Bases/Rings
    Leupold 6x42

I have the 270wsm in a tikka T3 and it feeds butter smooth out of the single stack mag. It also kicks minimally and shoots better than I do. I run the same 140grn accubonds that were mentioned by 270ti and feel pretty confident out to 350-400yds depending on the quality of my rest/shooting pos.

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks for the comments everyone, I still have a few more months before I have to make the choice so I expect that my decision will go back and forth a couple of times .

I've been shooting a .338 WinMag for the last couple years and then a .300 WinMag before that. Both are great guns I'm just looking for somthing smaller, lighter and that kicks less for not only the long range shots but those fast ones that you always end up making on the black tails .

Thanks again for everyones input!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast