Thread: First bunnies!!

Default First bunnies!!

After a few trips got my first bunnies ever, I am pretty sure I just never knew what I was looking for but after I finally saw the first one the second one was clear as day, went with a good friend we chased a couple others but were more elusive than these two. Looking forward to a nice winter or bunny/predator hunting and ice fishing. BTW, now what do I do with them???bunnies.jpg

Nicely done! As for what to do with them, treat them like you would chicken. We like pan frying them, either breaded in a little bit of oil or sauteeing them in some teryaki sauce after marinating. They're also good for stir-fry. Oh, and I've also been told to soak them in milk overnight before cooking. I don't know if it helps or not, but we do so and they turn out great.

There are at least a few threads in the Alaskan Pantry forum with hare recipes, so do some searching around in there and you'll find some great ideas.

Where did you get your bunnies? I went out today and didn't see a thing.

I have been skinning mine to try home tanning, pulling my first batch to dry tomorrow!

As for eating, I made a stew that was great! I made jerky based on a recommendation here and a recipe I found on-line, I liked it, the old lady didn't.

I put some in the slow cooker with potatoes and carrots and it was AWESOME!

Lastly, I have been injecting them with "Cajun Butter". The injection kit and "butter" is available at Three Bears. Sprinkle some seaonsing salt, cajun salt, hickory seasoning or hot sauce on them and then barbecue after marinating for an hour or two. AMAZING!!! I'm stuck on this recipe!

hey mild, nice catch! was that on JBER?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary808 View Post
    hey mild, nice catch! was that on JBER?

what the heck is this JBER some new slang? never heard of it!
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    what the heck is this JBER some new slang? never heard of it!
    yes it is. The BRAC combined the command of Elmendorf and FT Richardson so now it is commonly referred to at Joint Base Elmendorf Richardson or JBER.

I have done bunny kabobs which turned out pretty darn good as well. I think next season I am just going to collect them then butcher it down to boneless and have it all ground for sausage. The breaded/fried method sounds tasty as well though. I do completely butcher them in the field though right after I shoot them. I carry a havel knife and a pair of dykes and a little folding cutting board in the backpack. I grab the bunny by the scruff and make quick lateral slit there, just large enough to get a couple fingers in. Then just pull like opening a bag of chips. The hide ends up getting stuck at the head and feet. That is where a good set of shears comes into play. I usually just clip the leg bones and maybe the tail but there are a number of people who carry larger garden shears and they can clip the head off as well. From there I toss the carcass on the little cutting board and zip off the back straps with the havel then the 4 legs followed by a couple incisions along the spine behind the ribs to pull out the loins. When all done I am left with a little sack of guts and a baggie of meat. Total time is about 3 minutes when you get good at it.

Ummmm gutz! yummy

Got any pics of your method? i would like to learn it. 3 minutes is good! i usually just keep it on the bones.
    Semper Fi!

I will see what I can do about putting together something when I get back and start kicking grass clumps again.

Sorry this was on JBER which is the new slang for Ft.Rich/Elmendorf though you can't hunt on Elmendorf. I put them together with a stew and they turned out amazing, probably will o back out tonight or in the morning!!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    That is where a good set of shears comes into play. I usually just clip the leg bones and maybe the tail but there are a number of people who carry larger garden shears and they can clip the head off as well.
    When I was a kid I hunted bunnies in IN - LOVE a rabbit dinner! As for removing the head, I did it differently. If you grab around the shoulders with one hand and take the back of the head with the other hand, just make a rapid twist and pull at the same time. You'll be surprises how easily the head comes off. As for cooking it, I breaded and fried it.

AJ

greythorn3,

I can post pics of that method next time I get one. I use the same method and it works great; it's quick and clean.

I just got back from a short walk with the 16 gauge...didn't see anything but tracks. There's always tomorrow...

bobble

I cooked one the other night....i breaded it in flour with garlic and a few other spices. I put butter in a skillet and browned the rabbit on both sides. I also browed additional breading, then added water and some chicken boulon. I let this simmer for a while, then removed the bones and cut the rabbit into small pieces and mixed back into the gravy. I served it over rice. The next day my wife and kids cleaned up the left overs and said: get more rabbits, we love them!

My mom used to make green curry rabbit and it was outstanding! Rabbits are good eating. I always soak them overnight in salt water with a couple tablespoons of vinegar.

mildsauce, i was out there this morning, and didnt see any... i sent you a pm