Thread: Reloader 17 Powder - This should be a sticky thread.

Lightbulb Reloader 17 Powder - This should be a sticky thread.

I have been seeing alot of good info on this on the web after seeing a post about it here. It has my total attention now to the point of infatuation. I'm looking for data for 30-06 loads in 168 or maybe my old 180 grain all around favorite for anything, but in Boatail format. This powder sounds incredible, but I'm still wanting more info and some handloaders experiences with testing it for different calibers as well as 30-06. I also have a 243 and 7mm mag I'd like to gear up to that powder, but still want more reading and personal views of it before I make the big jump.
    I also have an old 300 Savage 99 that I'd like to gear up a bit, but have seen no data on it yet.
    Join in loaders and lets decide if this powder is as good as they say it is.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

GrizzlyH,

I tested RL-17 in my cousin, (Buddy) Winchester clone Sears 30-06 with a 19.5" barrel. The results were very good, I was pleased with the groups considering I was shooting with a fixed 4X weaver at 100 yards. That in itself was a challenge.

RL-17
    Nosler 180gr Accubond
    Win brass 2.484"
    CCI 200
    COL 3.295"
    .025" off the lands

51.9gr 2542fps
    52.6gr 2596fps
    53.3gr 2653fps
    54.0gr 2691fps
    54.7gr 2732fps

The tightest group was 54.7gr measuring at .326" center to center.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01487.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	41875Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01459.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	41876

Another RL-17 load that worked out well was with another cousin, (Jay) and his 300WM. It was a Ruger all weather with a 24" barrel.

Testing started at 65.9gr and stepped up in .7gr increments to 70.8gr. Max velocity was 3131fps, best accuracy was 68.7gr at 3026fps in this rifle.

I used a 180gr Nosler Ballistic tip since he was hunting white tail. You could substitute the 180gr Accubond in this load, they are the same shape and BC. The Accubond has a thicker jacket and slower expansion so it would be a better choice on large game.

RL-17 @ 68.7gr
    Nosler 180gr Ballistic tip
    Win Brass 2.612
    Fed 215M
    COL 3.320
    Velocity 3026fps
    Group .388"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7955.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	41879Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01305.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	41880

Thanks for the good info Marshal.
    Tell me I ain't hooked. Just got back from Sportsmans with 5 pounds of 17 and 100 Barnes 180gr TTSX Boattails for my 06 to start testing out later on. Gotta pick up a chrono before I start this so I really know what's gonna be my best load and then will get my findings posted here.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    Thanks for the good info Marshal.
    Tell me I ain't hooked. Just got back from Sportsmans with 5 pounds of 17 and 100 Barnes 180gr TTSX Boattails for my 06 to start testing out later on. Gotta pick up a chrono before I start this so I really know what's gonna be my best load and then will get my findings posted here.
    Hey Grizz, I have a chrono I rarely have time to use. You're more than welcome to borrow it for as long as you need it if you don't want to buy one right away. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Hey Grizz, I have a chrono I rarely have time to use. You're more than welcome to borrow it for as long as you need it if you don't want to buy one right away. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.
    Thanks for the offer AK. I see we live in the same area, so will maybe take ya up on that later. I'm in limbo here for a bit till I get my loading bench set back up......lol
    As you see tho, doesn't stop me from buying componants.............lol

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    Thanks for the offer AK. I see we live in the same area, so will maybe take ya up on that later. I'm in limbo here for a bit till I get my loading bench set back up......lol
    As you see tho, doesn't stop me from buying componants.............lol
    LOL, it's a never ending addiction. I started with the Lee anniversary kit, a set of .45 ACP dies, a pound of universal and a box of 230 gr. roundballs. I just bought a box of cheap factory ammo and kept reloading those cases. I now have a tumbler, various other "tools of the trade" and I load for 8 different calibers. I'm thinking about moving up to a progressive press, too. And a lot of guys here go WAY beyond me. The offer stands, whenever you need a chrony just let me know.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

LOL, it's a never ending addiction. I started with the Lee anniversary kit, a set of .45 ACP dies, a pound of universal and a box of 230 gr. roundballs. I just bought a box of cheap factory ammo and kept reloading those cases. I now have a tumbler, various other "tools of the trade" and I load for 8 different calibers. I'm thinking about moving up to a progressive press, too. And a lot of guys here go WAY beyond me. The offer stands, whenever you need a chrony just let me know.
    Ya, I just got the Lee 4 turret and on and on it goes now...........lol
    Still gotta get the dies for my sons rifles, 7mm mag, 243, and my old 300 savage 99. Bet I'll have all that in the next month too tho......lol
    Richard Lee, I need another fix brother........lol

Has anyone had any luck with RL-17 in the 300WSM. I have a couple hundred 165 accubonds that I would would like to load for my 300WSM. Any first hand info would be nice.

Also I would like to try it in my 350 Griffin & Howe but not sure were to start. What powder does it compare closest to? Reloading data is hard to find if any for that cartridge. Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by 450HUNTER View Post
    Has anyone had any luck with RL-17 in the 300WSM. I have a couple hundred 165 accubonds that I would would like to load for my 300WSM. Any first hand info would be nice.

Also I would like to try it in my 350 Griffin & Howe but not sure were to start. What powder does it compare closest to? Reloading data is hard to find if any for that cartridge. Thanks for any help.

Thanks for asking 450,
    Thats why I started this thread about RL-17. Not alot of data out there yet on this powder for alot of calibers. It's a farely new powder and a need to know and share thread on this topic so far. I have read alot of good reports about it on the web, but as you, I want more 1st hand info on where we can use this stuff. I have 3 of my guns that should work with it just fine, but alot of rounds are not tested and listed yet. That's where our folks on this forum can or maybe not help us on loads they have tested with this product.
    Marshall has already put out some good info, we just need more members to find this post and respond with what they have tried 17 in.
    Bookmark this post, cuz I'm sure more info will come up here on the subject in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by 450HUNTER View Post

By the way 450, I have a 5 pound container of it here in front of me and it says it's designed for short mags, if that helps. It's a heavily compressable powder also is what I read on Alliants website. Still wanna use proven data tho before you load this stuff.
    I'm old so I'll experiment with it soon and give you all updates on my findings. If I blow up, then figure my last published load data was already the max................lol

I'm sure someone has already thought of this, but just in case - Alliant's load data for all calibers using RL 17:
    http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...px?powderid=25

I'm sure someone has already thought of this, but just in case - Alliant's load data for all calibers using RL 17:
    http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...px?powderid=25
    Thanks AK,
    I was there 2 or 3 days ago and they had not much on load data. They must be adding more daily. Good thing and thankyou Alliant for posting your findings.
    Thanks AK for checking again
    Grizz