Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ever catch yourself in a trap??

Default ever catch yourself in a trap??

just starting to trap, trying to learn everything i can. Im going to start by trying to trap lynx and bought some MB 650's to start with. I was curious. How many of you have caught yourself in a trap and what was the result? wiil a trap break bones? im assuming a big enough one will but with the short distance the jaws travel maybe not. Testing the 650 looks like it would not be a good thing to have on your fingers. Well if you have stories id sure like to hear them, thanks.
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    just starting to trap, trying to learn everything i can. Im going to start by trying to trap lynx and bought some MB 650's to start with. I was curious. How many of you have caught yourself in a trap and what was the result? wiil a trap break bones? im assuming a big enough one will but with the short distance the jaws travel maybe not. Testing the 650 looks like it would not be a good thing to have on your fingers. Well if you have stories id sure like to hear them, thanks.
    Justin
    I would say if you wanna test the theory, start small, like with mouse traps.................lol
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

It stings....was setting a #4 for a flat set intended for a coyote when I looked away and set my hand Down...was caught by 4 fingers. It's not as horrible as you'd
    Think, but it hurts.. LOL

Default caught

I have caught myself in all sizes of footholds and conis except for my CDR 750swolfers and #9s maybe because I am extra carefull with them. It smarts sometimes it just plain hurts the worst ones seem to be the 280s. The worst I remember was in a #2CS that was cabled down short with 1/8 cable. I was adjusting the pan and ended up with both thumbs in the jaws and no gloves on. It was powder snow and my short arms dont reach the ground so I could stand on the levers. I peeled a bit of skin off getting one thumb out it was a stressfull minute in my life thats for sure. Good thing there was a leaning birch within reach to get leverge on.
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Yep, in a #3 Duke, right across the hand. When anti's start squaking about breaking bones, and cruelity I show my hands and ask them which one was caught in a trap. Befuddles them for a bit and they usually don't bring it up again.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by akmac View Post
    Yep, in a #3 Duke, right across the hand. When anti's start squaking about breaking bones, and cruelity I show my hands and ask them which one was caught in a trap. Befuddles them for a bit and they usually don't bring it up again.
    Three times i have given pro trapping public speaking affairs .. since high school through Grad school... each time i have ended those speeches with a #2 double long spring attached to one hand...

Senator Ted Stephan's made the news doing it first, when i was in grade school... i admit i copied his line about Bone crushing force being wrong...

though i needed help removing them my hands still work
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

It doesnt hurt at all. Go ahead and start out with a 120 coni. You'll be fine!! ha ha. I think coni's hurt the most. I mostly trap for marten but set out traps for lynx on occasion. If your just starting out I would recommend trying with marten and lynx. Marten are pretty simple and easy to skin too.

I did it with a 220 Conibear and ended up riding my snowmachine back out to the house 5 miles away one handed.... Coni's are the worst for getting to release one handed.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Yup, just last year i got bit by a 330 Conibear. I was setting it, had compressed the springs and put the safety catches on and grabbed the jaws to squeeze them full open to set the trigger. I realized that the dog and trigger weren't centered the way I want so I relaxed my grip a little to allow them to slide freely and apparently the safety catches had relaxed their grip too and SNAP! Probably wouldn't have been so bad had it not caught my watch band driving it into my wrist.

My bud was bit by a #4 longspring last year too. We were putting in a flat set for wolf. He'd just covered up the trap and decided to smooth out the cover a bit and hit the pan not paying attention. It snapped onto the tips of two fingers across the finger nails. I thought I could cuss and throw a fit. The bark still hasn't grown back on those alder bushes.
    Now what ?

I checked a friendís trapline and skied right across a trap that I never saw. It was exposed when he checked it the next day and he assumed it had been sprung. He grabbed it and got bit, no major damage, but we had some fun with that.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Had a 330 conibear snap on my arm while I was setting it a few miles below the cabin last year. Fortunately my wife knew what I was up to and when I didn't return by dark she came looking for me. Getting one off of your arm alone is almost impossible. Glad she arrived to assist me.
    BK

i caught both my hands in a 330 a couple miles from home i was lucky enough to have electric start on my sled so i was able to make it home to get some assistance.

for the reasons a couple of you have stated im not going to try coni's, just leg holds for now. I watched a buddy set 330's and id hate to find myself with both hands in one cabled to a tree 100miles from home in 30-40 below zero weather. in the meantime im no longer able to play with traps in the houes after i launched the forked part of my setters at blistering speeds towards the 42" tv while my wife was watching it.....it wasnt pretty, luckily it missed. Already danger and untold peril and i haven't taken them out of the house yet. Thanks for all the stories guys. When i get one stuck on my hand ill post a pic.

You guys are tough!!! be careful out there but have fun.

It can turn into a life-threatening situation sometimes getting caught in a 330 or one of the older Newhouse #4s if you are all alone.

I got caught in a 330 once. Left forearm. There is a moment there of panic when you realize you are really caught...had just made that set, a cubby set for wolverine and had my trapping axe with me and used that to pry the jaws apart enough to get my arm and hand out.

Have had buddies get pinched in larger footholds, one in a #9 with his glove off, and he ended up being out of commission from that for a couple weeks as it got his thumb real bad, took him a while to get it off too, and afterward his thumb ballooned in size, swollen, sore, couldn't use it for a bit.

A friend in Eagle told a funny one once about trapping out the Taylor in the old days when snowmachines first became prevalent. He was twenty miles or so out the road, got caught in a large foothold and couldn't get it off. Was his left hand. So he unchains it and has this big hunk of steel with chain on him and it's in the -30s and he fires up the snowgo and is having a hard time steering with one hand, and even as he feels his trapped hand starting to go cold he's mostly worried about anyone in town seeing him and how foolish he will look to the other trappers.

Well closer to town he runs into a fellow who was drinking and drove his new snowgo off the shoulder and rolled it and is stuck. They make a deal, the one guy helps him get the trap off his hand, he helps him get his snowgo unstuck, and they promise not to tell anyone about either event <grin>.

Pain depends a lot on how cold your fingers are
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I was setting a leaning pole set with a 330 conibear in northern michigan for bobcat one time. Had the trap wired to a 16 foot length of dead tree that was wired up at a 45 degree agle to another larger pine tree. I was doing a last check over to make sure it was all set to go when I noticed a stick coming out of the leaning pole I didn't like. Reached up to break it off and snapped the 330 duke conibear on my left arm, between the elbow and shoulder and hand and elbow. I was stuck like chuck!

It wasn't terribly cold, probalby in the teens but being stuck to a pole 2 miles from the truck and 20+ miles from town wasn't the best situation I could find myself in.

After a lot of struggling I finally managed to break the pole off where it was wired to the tree and get to my traping bag, cut the trap off the pole and snowshoed back to the truck. Drove 20+ miles home and had a buddy help get the trap off my arm. I still occasionally get crap about it but I guess it could have been alot worse.

I have snapped traps on my hands several times over the years accidentaly. Its really not too bad if you get the majority of your hand in the trap but if you only catch the end of your thumb it hurts like the blazes. I mostly used 11s, 1.5CS, 1.75 CS, 2s and a few 3s.

I don't even know if I want to start on the experiences. The memories....aren't fun as well.

330, both hands. Had it not been for my championship ring, I'd be dead. Was able to pull my hand free (snapped on the big ring) and then use a rope (everyone shoudl carry one for setting) to free the other hand. That puckered me a bit as there was no way to reach the anchor wires from where I was at and the snow depths. Was about 60 miles from anyone...

Most painful: A #1.5 I was setting for fox. Literally made me want to quit right then and there and leave everything. Had a buddy with me and his laughing eventually led me to pick up all my stuff and then quit (just for the day). Man that REALLLLLLLLLLLY hurt.

Been caught in wolf traps. They smart. But the pain sets in AFTER you are out of the trap. While in, I feel nothing but my brain working on "okay, relax....and time to free myself".

Anyone who tells you they don't hurt, is a liar. Also temperature exponentially effects their "pain power".
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

AK22 good call on the rope. I carry a larger diameter, 5/8, nylon rope. I used to use 550 cord but while practicing setting some 120's with it, it started to slip through the little slot on the spring loop. The larger nylon doesn't do that.
    If you live your whole life afraid to die... Then you can never truly live!

Quote Originally Posted by AKPyron View Post
    AK22 good call on the rope. I carry a larger diameter, 5/8, nylon rope. I used to use 550 cord but while practicing setting some 120's with it, it started to slip through the little slot on the spring loop. The larger nylon doesn't do that.
    Yup! Loop on one end, put your boot in, run rope through eyelits and then a one handed pull and you're free. I pre-set my 330s before I go out with a metal setter. But ALWAYS have my rope on me (hate lugging around the setters from camp). And, as it turned out, was a life saver.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast