Thread: Tractor Launch Anchor Point

Default Tractor Launch Anchor Point

Looking to see if anyone launches their fiberglass boat at the Tractor Launches at Deep Creek or Anchor Point Tractor launches. Is it duable with high guide ons and being careful.

Thanks for all the info you all have given me on other questions I have had.

Fish Hammer

I don't think they will launch you if you have guide on. If I remember right they will only do it with side railings.
    But if they do I don't see why not a fiberglass boat couldn't launch from shore.
    being careful??? Sometimes when you return you get up on step and as soon as you touch the trailer you shut down. and he will pull you out. I have seen some boats come out not perfectly alighned with there trailer.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Hull material doesnt matter much as to if they will launch you or not. What matters is how much water (draft) your boat requires to operate.
    Not sure what number they use to determine if they can launch you or not but some of the 22 foot and up glass boats with I/O's require in the neighborhood of 36 inches.
    If you have outboards you should be able to be launched with the tractors provided your boats weight is within their largest tractors range.
    Hope this helps.
    Tennessee

What is the earliest the tractors start to launch at Deep Creek and Anchor River? I heard that May 1 was the start but I sure thought I have been launched earlier then that several years ago. It's been a while since I used them...

From what I understood, they want your guideons or railings to be 2/3 the depth of your boat minimum.

I heard no one has bid on the launching at anchor point yet. There may not be a launch service this year.

I wounder if the state would take over?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Anchor Piont

I used to go out of Anchor point quite a bit. Had some great fishing holes and great times. Sometimes the weather would change on a dime and you had to be prepared.

When the tide was right I would launch in the river and go out the mouth. When low tide was in the morning, I would use the tractors.
    Last year was the last time I will go out of anchor point. I can deal with the politics of the beach and the time and money I spend to go there. What really ticked us off was the "doubling" of fees by the tractors. $45 in and out one time, with the state getting $5 to park in their parking lot. A total of $50.00 for just a boat launch. When I approached the owners, they had an attitude toward pleasure boaters and said take it or leave it. They said "they charge the charters this fee and if we didn't like it don't use us, but you really don't have a choice do you?" Another words, "we don't want you smaller boats here, this is a charter operation!"

I chose to start going out of Whittier instead. It is closer and cheaper.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I want to try it there this year, but at that price they can forget it!!!!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Anchor Point

Halibut is easier in Cook Inlet, once you learn how to fish the heavy tides. I would go out about 13 miles and fish in about 220 ft of water, a little different that the 300-400 ft in PWS. The attitude of the tractor guys toward the everyday pleasure boat was just more than I was willing to put up with. I filed a BBB complaint, sent the ADF&G a letter and it didn't do any good. Maybe the attitude will change toward us if the charters can only catch one halibut per customer. Then the tractor guys are going to need our business and money.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

It's a gold mine there. Unless everyone stops using the tractor then things might change. IE launch price.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thumbs up Anchor

I spoke with my wallet and I now go out of Whittier. PWS has everything I could ever want and lots of room. I try to leave the Keni to the tourist now.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    I now go out of Whittier. PWS has everything I could ever want and lots of room. .
    Yes it does except for the boat launch area.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I'd bet the cost of liabilty insurance is the main reason for the high launch $ costs, if you can find an underwriter.

I don't think insurance had anything to do with it. It was more of an attitude of the owner toward sports fishing who was out of Ninilchik.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

I was told (but I can't confirm) that the portion of the beach they do the tractor launches from is owned by a native corporation that Don Youngs wife is a member of. This native corporation leases out the boating rights. Assumming this is true it is the reason most attempts to build any type of public launch are shot down immediately because it is money out the window for the native corporation.
    Seems it does not matter where we lauch from it still takes a combination of 5-6 hours of driving the truck and the boat and the same amount of money to get into good halibut fishing.
    Whittier - 2 hours to get to launching. 2-3 hours running time to get to good fishing. Expensive launch and parking and tunnel fees but less driving saving on fuel. More fuel spent on the boat run.
    Seward - 3 hours to get to launch, 1-2 hours to good fishing. Launch fees are only $5 but we spend more on truck fuel.
    Homer - 5 hours to launch and only 1 hour run to get into decent fishing. Cheap launch fees but offset by more fuel for the truck driving there.
    They each have there advantages and last year we hit Seward pretty hard and did ok. I think this year we may concentrate on Homer more often.
    Tennessee

Red face

You do have some valid points!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Default Well, that's it....

I'm just going to have to move! I suppose that if you don't live near the water, you can't expect to be on the water and to your fishing grounds in very little time.

So, if you had to choose come place to live, given the choice of Seward, Homer, Whittier (yea, right), Juneau, Valdez, Sitka, etc., where would it be?

I'd choose Whittier because that's where I like to boat, but it's Whittier.
    Seward has some good fishing (especially silvers), but not too many covers to overnight in.
    Homer has good halibut not too far away and is a nice size town, but not many coves and no shrimping.
    Never been to SE.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    I was told (but I can't confirm) that the portion of the beach they do the tractor launches from is owned by a native corporation that Don Youngs wife is a member of. This native corporation leases out the boating rights. Assumming this is true it is the reason most attempts to build any type of public launch are shot down immediately because it is money out the window for the native corporation.
    Seems it does not matter where we lauch from it still takes a combination of 5-6 hours of driving the truck and the boat and the same amount of money to get into good halibut fishing.
    Whittier - 2 hours to get to launching. 2-3 hours running time to get to good fishing. Expensive launch and parking and tunnel fees but less driving saving on fuel. More fuel spent on the boat run.
    Seward - 3 hours to get to launch, 1-2 hours to good fishing. Launch fees are only $5 but we spend more on truck fuel.
    Homer - 5 hours to launch and only 1 hour run to get into decent fishing. Cheap launch fees but offset by more fuel for the truck driving there.
    They each have there advantages and last year we hit Seward pretty hard and did ok. I think this year we may concentrate on Homer more often.
    I think that summs it up. You are going to spend the $$$$ one way or another.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I used to launch out of deep creek, I now go to Homer. I can drive to Homer, buy a season launch pass, and take the boat back to anchor point if I want and be money ahead at the end of the year. I normally launch 3 or 4 times a week. That used to add up using the tractors.