Thread: Youth Hunter Draw permit Questions

Default Youth Hunter Draw permit Questions

My son just turned 11 this October. My question is can he apply for his own permits as long as he has his own license? He has already completed his Basic Hunter Education. If he gets drawn, I would accompany him on his hunt to make sure all legal requirements are met right? I will post what the draw application says:

"A hunter must be 10 years of age or older by the starting date of the hunt to obtain a permit.
    Hunters aged 10-17 with Basic Hunter Education certification, or hunters under the age of 10, are
    allowed to hunt on behalf of an adult permit holder, under the direct and immediate supervision
    of that adult. The adult permit holder must be a licensed hunter, 16 or older, and is responsible
    for ensuring all legal requirements are met."

Or do I have to get drawn for the same permit?

Thanks
    Mr. G
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Default Yes

Yes is the answer to all your questions except the last one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Grayling View Post
    My son just turned 11 this October. My question is can he apply for his own permits as long as he has his own license? He has already completed his Basic Hunter Education. If he gets drawn, I would accompany him on his hunt to make sure all legal requirements are met right? I will post what the draw application says:

"A hunter must be 10 years of age or older by the starting date of the hunt to obtain a permit.
    Hunters aged 10-17 with Basic Hunter Education certification, or hunters under the age of 10, are
    allowed to hunt on behalf of an adult permit holder, under the direct and immediate supervision
    of that adult. The adult permit holder must be a licensed hunter, 16 or older, and is responsible
    for ensuring all legal requirements are met."

Or do I have to get drawn for the same permit?

Thanks
    Mr. G
    Since he is over 10, he can act completely on his own with regards to hunting. The remainder of the regulations that pertain to 10-17 year olds is only with regards to kids hunting for another adult's permit. If they apply and win their own permit, they can legally hunt it alone all they want. You do not need to get the permit yourself.

Thanks guys.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

I don't think he needs a hunting license if he is under age 16. He can obtain his own harvest tickets and he can apply for drawing permits w/o purchasing a hunting license.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Since he is over 10, he can act completely on his own with regards to hunting. The remainder of the regulations that pertain to 10-17 year olds is only with regards to kids hunting for another adult's permit. If they apply and win their own permit, they can legally hunt it alone all they want. You do not need to get the permit yourself.
    not quite; being under 16 unlicensed he needs to be ACCOMPANIED BY A LICENSED HUNTER 16 OR OLDER. ( i think skier ment this but worded incorrectly)

A YOUTH does not require the hunterd ed to hunt a draw tag of there own until the age of 16 also. as long as they are hunting with an adult born before the cut off date or the other hunter has a hunters ed card.

the youth MUST have the huters ed to hunt a parents PERMIT hunt...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    not quite; being under 16 unlicensed he needs to be ACCOMPANIED BY A LICENSED HUNTER 16 OR OLDER. ( i think skier ment this but worded incorrectly)

A YOUTH does not require the hunterd ed to hunt a draw tag of there own until the age of 16 also. as long as they are hunting with an adult born before the cut off date or the other hunter has a hunters ed card.

the youth MUST have the huters ed to hunt a parents PERMIT hunt...
    Thanks for the correction. I was missing that part.

Edit: Actually, looking at the big game hunting regulations, that might not be totally correct. This is on page 13 of the hunting regulations.

"Requirements for young hunters before hunting in units 7, 13, 14, 15, and 20; If you are under 16 years of age, you must either have completed basic hunter education course or be under the direct supervision of a licensed hunter who is: ....."

It looks like, for these units at least, they don't necessarily have to be under their direct supervision if the kids has completed hunter ed.