Thread: tundra track walking

Question tundra track walking

I have a little 85' tundra that I use quite a bit now that my safari/cheyenne is having a new tranny installed (which will probably take me all winter..)
    But on to my other problem. My track likes to loosen and walk back and forth. It is starting to tear things up a bit.
    Whats the best fix add another tightening nut? One just doesn't seem to be doing it.....

regards..

reuben

Is the jam nut still on there to keep things from loosing up? It shouldnt lossen back up if the jam nut is tight and the track is adjusted right

Well... I'm no expert.. but I centered the track, tightened it up as much as I figured I could..(there is approx 1.5" of bolt left to the bracket.. this includes the jam nut itself.. It was centered nice.. I checked it frequently, but it didn't seem to bad. On the way back to town from my homestead it walked almost off the left bogie.
    I replaced a bunch of track clips last year... More than I care to remember...
    Both jam nuts are there and as tight as I can get them, in that cramped area....
    I replaced a badly worn slide last year on the right side... Now the left is getting chewed up and it was in really good shape last year..
    I just got back into town (after popping a ball joint....sheesh...)..
    I'll take another look at first thing tomorrow, and I'll post pics....
    Thanks much for the help.... I'll keep posting...

regards...

reuben..

Reuben,
    Try 90's and older in Wasilla @ 745-2733. John really knows those machines and is very helpful.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by reuben_j_cogburn View Post
    Well... I'm no expert.. but I centered the track, tightened it up as much as I figured I could..(there is approx 1.5" of bolt left to the bracket.. this includes the jam nut itself.. It was centered nice.. I checked it frequently, but it didn't seem to bad. On the way back to town from my homestead it walked almost off the left bogie.
    I replaced a bunch of track clips last year... More than I care to remember...
    Both jam nuts are there and as tight as I can get them, in that cramped area....
    I replaced a badly worn slide last year on the right side... Now the left is getting chewed up and it was in really good shape last year..
    I just got back into town (after popping a ball joint....sheesh...)..
    I'll take another look at first thing tomorrow, and I'll post pics....
    Thanks much for the help.... I'll keep posting...

regards...

reuben..
    Slides normally are changed as a pair and could be part of the issue. Also look at your drivers make sure all the driver lugs are there. When you changed the track clips was there any issues? Beyond the jam nuts a loosening track is possible chassis issue.

I changed the right side slide last year.. It was completely missing! The rail damage was minimal tho. I did buy two slides but was hesitant to put them both on because the left side looked rather new. plus getting the remaining slide off looks to be a total pain in the butt.
    Here are a few pics. The shot of the bogie represents as bad as it's gotten. It seems to straighten right out but you can see the damage to the slide....
    The jam nuts were still tight, from the last centering/tightening session.. or perhaps they where just frozen!!

This is the main issue with the machine. Other than catching up on a lot of warn/missing parts when I bought it. She has been a good little backup machine.. now functioning as primary..

Thanks for all the help.... I'll call that number, and keep y'all posted!

regards.....

reuben..

There has to be something else loose, bent, or broken on the rear skid. Maybe a bad bearing?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

there is a PROCESS to tighten and adjust a track... it will walk to to the tighter side. a track is a belt and requires equal tension regardless of bolt length or thread counts... tension is the only thing that will take into account various wear in wheels and suspension components.

with the track on a stand... start the engine and let it run about 20mph for a few seconds and let it coast to a stop... DO NOT BRAKE

measure both sides as far back on the rails as you can...

adjust one side or the other until both sides stop with equal distance from track edge to rail... 3 x.

keep an eye on track tension... there should be about 1-1.5 inches for and old track with 15-20 lbs of pressure applied to the center.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Everything looks intact and in relatively good shape... The track itself is pretty worn. Since I redid everything it seems better, but it still bothers me a bit.
    I di know that the tension has to be equal, and I did measure it as i went. I did replace one bogie last year, and while the other seems in good shape perhaps there is enough difference in diameter?
    I will only be using my machine once a week until the river feezes up. Once i get on "my side"I have to walk as both my machines are on the wrong side!
    Anywhoo, I'll keep an eye on it.... And post if i have any more questions/issues.. When I get as free minute, I'll de-ice the suspendion a bit and go through it asll again... it is such a good little sled.....

thanks much all, and regards...

reuben...

When you leave it sit for days or extended periods of time, try blocking up the back of the machine, to the point the track is suspended off the snow. I do this everytime, I park, before I get undressed. Knock the worst of the ice and snow out of the track and bogies. Usually the rest will melt or disapate away. Ice Build Up can cause weird problems.
    +1 on what others have said. In addition, I always use Blue Medium Strength LockTite or Threadlocker on every bolt and nut of a snowmachine. Jam nuts also, when there is room or find it is necessary to use them.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

If that last picture is on the ground you have a bent rail and it looks like it has gotten really hot along the way.

Fix the bent rail first. While you have everything apart check you drivers. Thats were i would start.