Thread: Change in moose season opening in 14A?

Default Change in moose season opening in 14A?

I see in the draw permit supplement that the 14A antlerless moose season opens August 25th. Last year it opened on the 20th, five days before the general season.

Anybody have word on if the general season will open later or if the permit and general harvest will open the same time for 2011?
    "Your papers are not in order"

The General harvest went to the 25th a couple years ago so I imagine that this is simply a move to line up the cow hunt with the existing general harvest hunt.

One thing I am a little curious about is what ADF&G expects for the success rate on the cow hunts. I honestly can't imagine it would hurt to make those tags also good for the archery season. Same tags just eligible for early archery as well.

Well that kinda sucks, it was nice to get out and hit the trails before the regular opening so they wern't all spooked

I have hunted unit 14a cow hunts with my tag and along for a few other's tags as well. It is really nice to get in there before every thing is spooked. Cows don't call in like the bulls do. Although, I have not had great early season success calling bull out there anyways. We have been out there on scouting trips and have seen 8-12 moose in one morning. When hunting season rolls around, we are lucky to see one or two. We hear them walking around behind camp through the swamp late at night though. I think they go nocturnal and move off the water ways to avoid us noisy and dangerous bipeds. I don't think the few cow hunters spook the moose much. But the many bull hunters do.

The later date to close the general harvest hunt was a great idea. The 20th was much too early to close.

Quote Originally Posted by 06tributeman View Post
    Well that kinda sucks, it was nice to get out and hit the trails before the regular opening so they wern't all spooked
    My thoughts exactly...

I honestly have to say, I cannot fathom being unable to connect on a valley cow tag in less than three full days hunting at any time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I honestly have to say, I cannot fathom being unable to connect on a valley cow tag in less than three full days hunting at any time of year.
    Well when there dozens of atv road hunters boring tracks in the ground it makes a difference---at least in some of the valley hunts...

Quote Originally Posted by 06tributeman View Post
    I'm pretty sure thats how all of the "regular opening" guys feel as well, sucks on opening morning when the moose have already been run around for 5 days and have gone in to deep hiding mode.

I'm with LuJon, I have never had a problem finding cows throughout the season.

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    I'm pretty sure thats how all of the "regular opening" guys feel as well, sucks on opening morning when the moose have already been run around for 5 days and have gone in to deep hiding mode.

I'm with LuJon, I have never had a problem finding cows throughout the season.
    It appears that not everyone is that fortunate. Success rate on the DM400-410 hunts averaged right around 67% in 2009.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by sigabrt View Post
    It appears that not everyone is that fortunate. Success rate on the DM400-410 hunts averaged right around 67% in 2009.
    given that the average for those that do not hunt a drawn tag is near 50% ... 67% is dang good.. most tags have ~30% or lower

and it is not a new change.. i do recall the last two seasons reading post of folks wondering who would be busted cause they went by the old regs
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I attribute this to apathy. I have seen MANY people wait till the last possible second to go out and try and fill these tags. Either that or they only hunt after work or for a few hours on the weekend. Very few get out and pattern the area before season or spend any time at all out and about. Infact I bet at least 1/2 of the people that win these tags don't have the slightest clue where you can actually go to hunt any of them. They just see roads in the area and it is close so they slap their 5 bucks down and figure they will get out their and figure it out the end of Sept. My last season out in 2 different areas for a number of days each and I could have filled a cow or any bull tag on almost every day afield. Now if I could just find a 3 browtine someone didn't already kill when it only had 2 and was 36".....

I find no correlation between success and opportunity. Speaking only from my personal expereiences and those I have hunted with, the only reasons for going home empty handed, every time, has been due to selectivity and discernment eg the recent Tier I & II Nelchina Caribou Hunts. I hunted them 4 times and filled out my permit a few minutes ago as Unsuccessful. Sure didn't account for the Caribou to be uncooperative or elusive or nocturnal or that all those hunters spoiled my hunts. I find the Bull Hunter Arguement of spoilng the opportunity to kill a cow, to be ludicrous.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    and it is not a new change.. i do recall the last two seasons reading post of folks wondering who would be busted cause they went by the old regs
    You are right---the general season changed to the 25th a couple of years ago, but the permit hunt (at least in 2010) opened on the 20th. Not so for 2011...