Thread: CALL for STORIES!

Default CALL for STORIES!

I know that a lot of you guys flying Alaska have had some very interesting flights. Maybe because of weather? Fuel concerns? A slightly dinged airplane? A really banged up flying machine? I'm in the middle of still another book, and I'd like to include a tale about your flying experiences. Alaska or otherwise! If you prefer, contact me at mm1235pm@att.net.

Unless you would prefer to remain anonymous, your name will be used and you will receive full credit for the story.

This is a serous request. I hope guys like Float Pilot, Mr. Pid, and others will reply to this need.

Meantime,

Low and Slow

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

Hey Grizzly,
    I have a story that happened this morning. It doesn't have anything to do with flying, but I thought you would like to hear it because it could only happen in Alaska! I work in the intensive care unit at Elmendorf's Joint-Venture Hospital. When I got here this morning, most of Elmendorf and Ft. Richardson had been on emergency power since 0400. What happened? A beaver chewed through a tree on base and when the tree fell, it dominoed several other trees; they all took down a major power line! You can't make-up something like this!
    Pam

Quote Originally Posted by AKDREAMER View Post
    Hey Grizzly,
    I have a story that happened this morning. It doesn't have anything to do with flying, but I thought you would like to hear it because it could only happen in Alaska! I work in the intensive care unit at Elmendorf's Joint-Venture Hospital. When I got here this morning, most of Elmendorf and Ft. Richardson had been on emergency power since 0400. What happened? A beaver chewed through a tree on base and when the tree fell, it dominoed several other trees; they all took down a major power line! You can't make-up something like this!
    Pam
    You're right - -- you can't make up a story like that! I'm gonna keep that one in my files .............. and thanks for sharing it!

Mort

Hmm,,, I wonder what the statue of limitations may be on some adventures...??
    What word-length is your preference?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Hmm,,, I wonder what the statue of limitations may be on some adventures...??
    What word-length is your preference?
    Tthe Statute of Limitations began at Kitty Hawk, NC, and will end after you and I have both gone on to our just desserts! Since these tales will appear within the covers of a nonfiction book, there is no limit on the number of words you use to tell your tale.

I'd be very pleased to include one or more stories from you. You've flown the miiles, the turbulence, and the dark of night long enough to have had more than a handful of great tales. I look forward to some of them!

As they say in QB - - - - - Burro!

Mort

Mounted alone into the realms beyond the reach...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Wld scud running thru Lake Clark Pass work? Only way I got in the pass was to follow a twin from the Lake Clark side. Just lucky the clouds didn't reach the trees in the middle of the pass.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRick View Post
    Wld scud running thru Lake Clark Pass work? Only way I got in the pass was to follow a twin from the Lake Clark side. Just lucky the clouds didn't reach the trees in the middle of the pass.
    You bet!!! I look forward to reading about it, RocketRick. I remember coming through from the lower end in a new TU206G amphib. Weather was coming down, so I decided to punch up through and to get home on top. After entering the cloud deck, the turbocharger waste gate froze and climb performance dropped from a strong 1,000-fpm plus to about 200-fpm. What figured to be a six-minute climb turned out to be 24-minutes!!! ****ed scary between the mountains . . . . .

I'd be glad to hear your story! Hope you send it.

Scud running, popular or not in the South 48, is pretty much a way of life in Alaska. So - - - - - send the tale ..............

I was flying skydivers in a twin otter in Zihuatenejo mexico. I was holding short of the runway for a 757 on short final, it is hot, so the jumpers have the jump door open. Looking out the left window I saw this moving ball, of I don't know what, moving towards me, 8 feet maybe 10 feet in diameter. "weird" I am thinking, and the ball moves towards me until it gets in front of the left engine and then accelerates as it get sucked through the prop. All of a sudden I hear screaming from the back, "GO! GO! GO!....BEEEEEEEEES!!! Well it turned out that the moving ball was made of bees that were from a bee suicide cult and they used the pt6 as their their preferred method of death. there were bee parts every where inside and out of the plane, and the dead bee juice spread over the cowling attracted tons of bees for weeks after that, no matter how much I tried to clean it.
    The winner isn't the person with the most gold when they die, but rather, the person with the most stories.