Thread: Pulling Quarters

Default Pulling Quarters

this is another (yawn) post on " pulling quarters ", i am bringing this up because it works so well. with a sharp knife i remove the front quarter, then hind quarter, followed by the loin and neck meat. making an incision behind the last rib allows removal of the tenderloin.

roll the critter and repeat.

there really isn't much left but the ribs and guts, plus it's fast ( about 20 mins ). ** me in the big hat.
    happy trails.
    jh

This process is detailed pretty well on Alaska game in the ADFG video titled "field care of game meat". It's a free view on the ADFG site, and for those wanting a DVD, we have those in our store here on Outdoors Directory.

I like to skin mine first (the side I can get to). Not at all like that sagebrush elk you have there... And I don't remove the contents of the abdominal cavity until all four quarters are removed. Looks like your process is a little different in the photo. Probably a modified version of the same... The reason is because (especially with moose) the gut pile is so large that it's hard to move very far. You end up working around it the whole time.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

hi mike; no you are right about the proceedure...... the shooter ( my friend jim ) and his neurosurgeon brother in law ( really nice guy ) had already gutted this bull. they used several knives and a 3" saw ( pelvis and brisket ). they were amazed at how fast the bull came apart using the quarter method. we had mules to do the packing and so we left the hide on to help keep the meat clean.
    happy trails.
    jh