Thread: Starting bait

Default Starting bait

I'll be in Alaska the 3rd week of May 2011. Will Get drivers lic. soon as I get there. So will have resident statious as of 3rd week of May 2012. Question is can I start a bait station before that year is up, then hunt it when I can get resident lic.?

no Im pretty sure you cant as you need a hunting license in order to get the bait permit. I wouldnt worry to much about it. First part of june is usually good still

Only residents can get a predator control permit and you can't put out bait at a station without a permit. Sort of a catch 22.
    Chuck

That's what I was thinking. May just try setting and glassing the first year or wait till last week of May to get a permit. No matter anyway the main thing is we'll be in Alaska in the outdoors and thats what matters the most.

Just so we're clear on the residency issue...you're not a resident until the 365th day after you cross the border. Your residency clock starts ticking as soon as you enter Alaska with intent to stay. However, you can hunt on your own as a nonresident for all species except sheep, goats, and grizzly/brown bear (otherwise you need to hire a guide). The regs are unclear about whether or not a non-resident can establish a bait station but they can hunt off the bait of a friend (assuming you get an invitation). If you're going to hunt over bait with a bow you need IBEP certification for certain GMUs and you have to attend a baiting clinic for some others as well (basically road system areas).

If you are military you will have the status Military Non-Resident which allows you purchase non-resident tags for half the going rate. A black bear tag will run a Mil Non-Res $162.50 (half of $325) plus $85 for a non-res license.

The regs are available online and your best bet is to call ADF&G for the final word.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Just so we're clear on the residency issue...you're not a resident until the 365th day after you cross the border. Your residency clock starts ticking as soon as you enter Alaska with intent to stay. However, you can hunt on your own as a nonresident for all species except sheep, goats, and grizzly/brown bear (otherwise you need to hire a guide). The regs are unclear about whether or not a non-resident can establish a bait station but they can hunt off the bait of a friend (assuming you get an invitation). If you're going to hunt over bait with a bow you need IBEP certification for certain GMUs and you have to attend a baiting clinic for some others as well (basically road system areas).

If you are military you will have the status Military Non-Resident which allows you purchase non-resident tags for half the going rate. A black bear tag will run a Mil Non-Res $162.50 (half of $325) plus $85 for a non-res license.

The regs are available online and your best bet is to call ADF&G for the final word.
    Erik your saying just entering Alaska to stay(which I am-already have property) Starts the year. I was under the understanding a drivers lic. made it offical with a date of issue. No matter though drivers lic. is first thing we plan on getting, as soon as we unload u-haul in a storage. Do plan on a little small game hunting as a non-res. the first year, just to get out and get the lay of the land.

You will need to attend a F & G baiting class as well, They are usually scheduled during the spring in different communities. May need Hunters Ad aslo, depending on DOB.

you can take the class online at fish and game web site.

You are wrong on the military thing. You can get tags for the same price as resident tag. All tags are not the same but black bear tags do not cost you anything.http://www.admin.adfg.state.ak.us/li...icenseinfo.pdf I am still a West Virgina resident. I am only here for a couple years and really don't want the PFD.... feels like I am taking money from other people... Prior to 2009 for military you had to be here a year before you got these prices... now as soon as you get here with orders you get the price... no idea if you are military or not... either way.. good luck

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by akpolaris View Post
    You will need to attend a F & G baiting class as well, They are usually scheduled during the spring in different communities. May need Hunters Ad aslo, depending on DOB.
    this depends on GMU hunting or baiting.. for instance 20B bait class is required.. but not 20 A, C, D, E or F

also Highline made a comment... there is a big difference in a predator control permit and a bear baiting permit...the reg book gives a clear understanding of what you can and cannot do... and what is required.. for baiting by units/sub you just have to take the time to READ It.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by hunter4361 View Post
    Erik your saying just entering Alaska to stay(which I am-already have property) Starts the year. I was under the understanding a drivers lic. made it offical with a date of issue. No matter though drivers lic. is first thing we plan on getting, as soon as we unload u-haul in a storage. Do plan on a little small game hunting as a non-res. the first year, just to get out and get the lay of the land.
    You say you won't be here until May, but you are aready here and that you own property. Owning property does not make you a resident. Having an address here does not make you a resident either. You need to follow the letter of the law in the hunting regulations booklet which is online.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

The Fish and Game baiting class is a good idea regardless if you need it or not. It's especially good for hunters new to baiting in Alaska. I would also buy the DVD available for $15 from Fish and Game and educate yourself on the differences between black and brown bears.. last thing you want is a dead brown bear over bait and the ticket associated with it.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    You say you won't be here until May, but you are aready here and that you own property. Owning property does not make you a resident. Having an address here does not make you a resident either. You need to follow the letter of the law in the hunting regulations booklet which is online.
    Sorry for the slow reply--Dave I don't live there yet, moving up in May 2011. The first thing after unloading the u-haul in storage is to go get an alaska drivers lic. and reg. to vote. That should start my year. So by say May 25th 2012 I'll be a legal resident. Vince thanks on the 20B baiting class didn't now about that. Have so many classes to take baiting--bow--hunting--muzzleloader--trapping darn makes me feel young again with all this schooling. All jokes aside I look forward to all of it as my only experince is in white-tail hunting. Should all be alot of fun. Just reading alaskan's post. Yes it will be a great knowledage builder. I do now the difference between a black and grizz bear. I was was once stalked by a brown faze black in colorado while bow hunting elk (I was cow calling). My hunting partner when he arrived on the seen insisted it was a grizz. but I knew better it was a beautiful dark brown Black bear. I already now form this forum that taking grizz. over bait or even close to the bait is illegal. I'll have a copy of the regs. and reading in my spare time when not working on the cabin.