Thread: Snowshoe in or out of Anchorage?

Default Snowshoe in or out of Anchorage?

Howdy all,

I bought a set of 'shoes last years and didn't have much time to go but I am making time this year. Any good spots for a newbie to wander off too?

I used to live on Piper St. south of Tudor, next road east(mountains) from Great Northern Guns. Campbell Creek is right at the end of Piper. When it freezes up, snowshoeing along the creek is a lot of fun. Be careful though, while it is right in the middle of Anchorage, I've come across fresh bear tracks-in Janurary.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Head up Campbell Airstrip Road. A mile or so past the airstrip parking lot are North & South Bivouac parking lots, one on each side of the road. The north side has lots of good trails for snowshoes, plus the gasline. Another 3/4 of a mile or so up the road, uphill on the right side is a lot (near the powerline crossing). It heads off up the north fork valley and gets less ski/dog traffic. If you muck around on it long enough, you'll come out near Prospect Heights and can work your way back down the the gasline and eventually to the bivouac parking lots.