Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guided Hunting Trip

Default Guided Hunting Trip

So does anyone out there know of a really good but cheap guided hunt. I had no luck this past season and of course it was my first hunt up here.

Thanks
    Tony (T.J.)

what do you want to hunt?
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

"good" AND "cheap"....
    good luck.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

"Cheap" and "really good guided" don't usually go together. Of course, I suppose that depends on your definition of cheap, but most guided hunts - especially good ones - will set you back a few dollars. What might be a better option is to pay for a drop-off in a remote area. If you have hunting and basic survival skills, then being remote but unguided might be the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharness View Post
    So does anyone out there know of a really good but cheap guided hunt. I had no luck this past season and of course it was my first hunt up here.

Thanks
    Tony (T.J.)
    You are really going to need to provide a lot more info if you want some proper help form the members here. They won't steer you wrong and are a wealth of info. Brian and Dave are right on the money. What are you looking to spend? What, where, how, when, do you want to hunt? We know the why.......These are the questions that prying mind want to know.........

I really wouldn't worry about the "guided" part of it. As was suggested, drop less than half the cash and just get some transportation to a spot that has higher densities of animals, and less two legged competition. If you are rifle hunting during the right time of year and in the right place, success is much more likely.

It doesn't say your location, but if you are an AK resident, there are infinite opportunities that are just a checkbook away. Overall, animals aren't dense up here (unless you hit the bou right), but most are not super cagey either, so as long as you go somewhere with decent numbers, you know something about finding game, and are comfortable with hunting remote, you will most certainly have a good crack at connecting. And flyouts etc. are just plain fun anyway. Find some good partners and live it. Good luck.

Ok you all are right. I would like to get on to a good drop off unguided hunt. That is what meant. I was looking at some guided hunts last night and yea that they will set you back a few dollars. So who can tell me about some great areas for a drop off hunt for about a week long hunt. I would like to get a nice trophy moose since next season will be my last

Ok you all are right. I would like to get on to a good drop off unguided hunt. That is what meant. I was looking at some guided hunts last night and yea that they will set you back a few dollars. So who can tell me about some great areas for a drop off hunt for about a week long hunt. I would like to get a nice trophy moose since next season will be my last

What you want is the same thing 300,000 Alaskan Males, and 40,000 Alaskan Females WANT. A Cheap drop-off hunt for "Trophy" Moose. Sorry but you are roughly 35 to 50 years to late. Here is the truth: it will run two or three of you at least $3,000.00 each for a "Cheap" drop-off hunt.

Further-more you will need to do this every year for the next five years to get a "Trophy" Moose. Sorry but you need to be either Rich, D@MN lucky, or spent months of days hunting (say 60 days over five years). The truth is trophies no longer grow of trees, they are hard to find, even on guided hunts.

I would like to get a nice trophy moose since next season will be my last
    Why will it be your last?

- as stated above: "good" and "cheap" are incompatible, old axiom is that you usually get what you pay for - sorry
    - consider hunt planner?
    - military?
    - put in for special drawing only areas?
    - luck is aways a component of hunting success - those that do the most planning, research, and ask the most questions are OFTEN the most lucky - seeking info here is an excellent first step
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

There are plenty of hints throughout these threads on areas to go, in particular the float hunts. You can cover lots of prime country for moose, it's always fun to float....quiet and serene. And no gas stress, and Kingfisher proved you can recreate the carrying capacity of Noah's Ark with just two rafts (that is an epic story). I'd find some buddies you trust (if you are indeed yourself trustworthy) and read up on what it takes to float and hunt and take care of meat once it's down...legwork goes a long way....and a realistic budget.

And being honest and putting the desperation of a last season hunt may have seemed like a good idea, but will rub many Alaskans the wrong way. However, if you are military, it could work in your favor, lots of active and vets on this board who understand your situation.

Either way, good luck, and starting now is the best way to increase your odds.
    ps, don't get all wadded up on the trophy thing, every moose is huge, and your first is a trophy forever.

I am military so I will be leaving Alaska in Aug of 2012. The idea of doing a float hunt would be a great idea. You are right about the trophy part every hunt that I have done the first one was and will always be the trophy of your life. Do you know where a great place for a float hunt is at? I will start looking into what all needs to take place for that.

Personally....not really. I boat from where I live for moose, but Bristol Bay has many areas that a float can be done. Call some of the flight operators in either Iliamna, King Salmon or Dillingham if you think this area would work (they are all listed). Some of them also offer full equipment to make it easier than shipping rafts etc out to yourself.

BUT>>>do some reading and research and, pick a region first...... Once you pick a general area or drainage, there is most certainly a way to get there....

I disagree you need to do your home work,agl4now is right about the price and dont go for the cheapest out there but you dont need to do it every year for 5 years,I shoot a 50 inch or bigger moose every year and I hunt the same 2 rivers for the last 30 plus years,if I DONT SHOOT ONE ITS BECAUSE WE HAVE ENOUGHT MEAT,IM ALSO A GUIDE,pm me if you would like some ideas on were to go for a great hunt,will pass on ideas for unguided or guided,,and no it wont be me,,NO CHARGE LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    What you want is the same thing 300,000 Alaskan Males, and 40,000 Alaskan Females WANT. A Cheap drop-off hunt for "Trophy" Moose. Sorry but you are roughly 35 to 50 years to late. Here is the truth: it will run two or three of you at least $3,000.00 each for a "Cheap" drop-off hunt.

Further-more you will need to do this every year for the next five years to get a "Trophy" Moose. Sorry but you need to be either Rich, D@MN lucky, or spent months of days hunting (say 60 days over five years). The truth is trophies no longer grow of trees, they are hard to find, even on guided hunts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by alaskachallenge@yahoo.com; 11-13-2010 at 16:43. Reason: left out sdomething

There ya go, a guide in GALENA just showed a bunch of nice racks in a boat...and pontificated the ease at which this happens everyyear, now you have a drainage to start with. (now start savin money).

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachallenge@yahoo.com View Post
    I disagree you need to do your home work,agl4now is right about the price and dont go for the cheapest out there but you dont need to do it every year for 5 years,I shoot a 50 inch or bigger moose every year and I hunt the same 2 rivers for the last 30 plus years,if I DONT SHOOT ONE ITS BECAUSE WE HAVE ENOUGHT MEAT,IM ALSO A GUIDE,pm me if you would like some ideas on were to go for a great hunt,will pass on ideas for unguided or guided,,and no it wont be me,,NO CHARGE LOL

I would consider a 58" Moose a Non-Trophy. I would consider a 66" Moose a bottom end trophy. To me if you say I want a Trophy Moose or I'll go home with zilch, your talking 69" Plus. And they do NOT grow on trees. If you want a trophy moose you either hunt a lot of years, or you better be very, very lucky. And remember any place you fly into is someone or several someones Guide Area, and if he has his head out of his Butt, he will be on that trophy moose wth a prefered client at 4:AM opening day, waiting for first light. That is "Part" of what you pay for.

well good luck,i was born and raised here,live in the middle of the highest population of moose in alaska for 30 plus years,,been guiding 13 years,killed 2 over 70inch been in on 10 or less, 69 or better, youre talking the holy grale of moose,NOT TROPHY MOOSE,I guess whats it comes down to is whats a trophy moose to one is just a moose to another,60 inch or better is ok,,65inch plus is a trophy for me if it has mass,,you see more moose in the record book under 70inches then over 70inches,most moose over 70 are past there prime and lost a bunch of mass,and points,just have width,JUST FOR THE RECORD ITS HARD TO BOOK A GUIDED HUNT HERE FROM THE GUIDES STAND POINT BECAUSE ITS ADRAWING HUNT,8 PERMITS TOTAL FOR 3 OUTFITTERS,NOT BECAUSE THERES A SHORTAGE OF MOOSE,SO NOBODYS GOT THERE HEAD UP THERE BUTT,,WERE GETTING OFF TRACK,MY POINT IS YOU DONT NEED A GUIDED HUNT TO SCORE ON A TROPHY MOOSE,JUST DO YOUR HOME WORK,some questions will get answered on this site,some wont,good luck
    Last edited by alaskachallenge@yahoo.com; 11-13-2010 at 17:50. Reason: GETTING OFF TRACK

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachallenge@yahoo.com View Post
    SO NOBODYS GOT THERE HEAD UP THERE BUTT
    My point is if there is a "Trophy Class" Moose in an area, and the Guide is doing his Job, He will have a client on it, before the Non-guided fly-in resident hunter wakes up.

agreed,,thats what you should get for you money

But I was kinda thinkin the same thing.

Not born and raised, but in the middle of some currently really good moose country. Breaking sixty isn't uncommon but you start pushin 65 and that's a story that gets around pretty quick. Not sure what would make a place more prone to that 70 inch holy grail like it does with big whitetails, but I have seen more dead moose from natural than manmade causes in my trompings in this area and even the ones that die of old age are far from 70. The few that were near it were so old they were going downhill. That said I"m not a moose biologist but 70 is a whopper, hopin to see one someday.

As far as that's what you should get for your money....insert a poor boy eye roll.

So, everybody go to Galena and shoot trophy moose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast