Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snowshoe hair, You provide the hunting spot and I will bring the dog!

Default Snowshoe hair, You provide the hunting spot and I will bring the dog!

I have a few spots I hunt. Gets boring kinda hitting the same areas. Would like to hunt north somewhere, doesn't matter though. My dog is a hunting fool and if the rabbits are there, they will be moving! She has recently been trained on grouse too.

Figured it was worth a shot asking. Like stated, I don't need new areas, but would be fun hunting with others and new to me spots. Plus if you have been wondering about hunting with a dog, you can see how it is, with this breed anyways.

I will be up for a sunday hunt. Or any weekend in the future, not Thanksgiving weekend though.

The reason youíre bored is you do not have anyone to talk to. There are a lot of guys that want to go rabbit hunting and do not have a spot. Why donít you ask if thereís someone who want to go with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    The reason youíre bored is you do not have anyone to talk to. There are a lot of guys that want to go rabbit hunting and do not have a spot. Why donít you ask if thereís someone who want to go with you.

I have company every trip. More of the locals, which would be different now with all the snow, easier hunting. Little harder for the dog depending on the type of snow and condition.

If I have to we can go to one of my spots or find a new one. Would be nice though to find someone and hunt there spot. My dog is good. My areas hold decent numbers, I usually hunt closer to mid day, cause the dog does the work and I like to sleep in somedays! Every trip out bunnies or birds have died this season. So not complaining, just thought we could share. I provide dog, they take us to a new spot, or find one together in a new area.

I've been out learning the area latley with the new snow. I've got some promising looking areas but I don't know how much fun your dog will have with tracks, since thats all I am seeing. Pretty soon I'll be down at Fred Meyers buying a sirloin to shoot at in the yard, that way I'll be eating something that I shot and saving all the gas money I'm wasting, but thats hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_h View Post
    I've been out learning the area latley with the new snow. I've got some promising looking areas but I don't know how much fun your dog will have with tracks, since thats all I am seeing. Pretty soon I'll be down at Fred Meyers buying a sirloin to shoot at in the yard, that way I'll be eating something that I shot and saving all the gas money I'm wasting, but thats hunting.
    It takes time. You have to train your eye to the white movement. They sit still right in front of you sometimes. You stop, they get nervous and bust out running.

If lots of tracks, that is a good sign. If a few single sets, may not be much there, have seen it personally. If lots of sign, that is where the dog comes in. Best time to hunt is early morning. But like stated earlier, I am a bit lazy since the dog does the hard work.

Where do you live and what direction were you heading? Welcome to the forums. Some weekend if you want to try it out, I will be game, you don't even have to ask the dog. She will see me touch my hunting gear and is at the door waiting!!!

There are some spots on Fort Rich that a friend and I have been talking about hunting. Some extra company and a dog might make it that much more interesting. All you'll need is a Recreational Access Pass (RAP) and they might ask you to register the serial number of your shotgun at the MP station.
    I have seen a ton of critters out in these areas, though I have never hunted it.

Let me know if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by sthrcave View Post
    There are some spots on Fort Rich that a friend and I have been talking about hunting. Some extra company and a dog might make it that much more interesting. All you'll need is a Recreational Access Pass (RAP) and they might ask you to register the serial number of your shotgun at the MP station.
    I have seen a ton of critters out in these areas, though I have never hunted it.

Let me know if you're interested.
    Yeah I am interested. My RAP is expired. They should still have my shotgun registered, not sure though, easy enough.

Was out there a few years ago, lots of snow and too deep for her work in. Moose hunted a lot on Ft. Rich, muldoon side, but have never seen a lot of rabbit sign.

I don't really want to reveal my spots to the entire world, but they should be good. I saw more grouse than bunnies at one spot, and tons of bunnies at another. I have to double check to make sure that hunting is allowed at the bunny spot.

It will take 5 minutes to get you a new RAP, and as long as you have the paperwork the PM gave you when you registered your scatter gun you should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by sthrcave View Post
    I don't really want to reveal my spots to the entire world, but they should be good. I saw more grouse than bunnies at one spot, and tons of bunnies at another. I have to double check to make sure that hunting is allowed at the bunny spot.

It will take 5 minutes to get you a new RAP, and as long as you have the paperwork the PM gave you when you registered your scatter gun you should be good.

No need to post spots! I never do, general areas sometimes. I doubt I have the paperwork from the MP, will check the car in a few minutes. Oh man, those grouse are super tasty and easy to clean. My phone number is in my sig line. I am trying to figure out what I am doing to tomorrow.

I was out on Ft Rich yesterday, and saw tons of bunny sign. We were searching for grouse, so didn't do much searching for the rabbits. Be careful on the roads out there, they closed it down yesterday due to road conditions. We almost put the truck into the Eagle River coming down the hill to the bridge. Nothing but a sheet of ice. Good luck fellas! Next time you hit it up over a weekend, let me know, I'd love to come bust some thumpers.
    Although some can call it Catchin', I still have to call it fishin'.

same here, wanna get some hoppers and some flyers.. let me know i would like to go.
    Semper Fi!

Well I would have no problem with the four of us going out and learning a new area and hopefully do some shooting! I just got my RAP today and registered my 12ga. Doesn't take long but they weren't busy today. If anyone doesn't have it already, I recommend getting it ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Well I would have no problem with the four of us going out and learning a new area and hopefully do some shooting! I just got my RAP today and registered my 12ga. Doesn't take long but they weren't busy today. If anyone doesn't have it already, I recommend getting it ahead.

so how do you get the rap and what do you need to get it?
    Semper Fi!

Greythorn3 might help not to go in there looking like your avatar. Just go to Fort Rich's main and only gate. They should have all the papers there.
    akrstabout what kinda dog you runnin for the bunnies a beagle?

Its that little wiry thing in his avatar. I haven't hunted over it but it is crazy fast and full of energy.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3083006 View Post
    Greythorn3 might help not to go in there looking like your avatar. Just go to Fort Rich's main and only gate. They should have all the papers there.

they got somthing against Proud white americans?
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    so how do you get the rap and what do you need to get it?
    You need your D/L, insurance card and registration. Plus your guns serial number you wish to register. When we go hunting, we will have to stop and a vehicle pass I believe to get onto the Ft. rich side to hunt.

i really would like to observe how well a dog helps in huntin ggrouse and rabbits.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3083006 View Post

She is a German Jag'd Terrier. She is pure bred and comes from a good line of natural born hunters. She is self taught! She is half German and half Hungarian. Just an awesome dog.

Only thing that will depict if she goes is weather. If really cold, I can put a sweater on her and and booties. If we get deep snow and cold, no body to snow, she won't be able to stay on top. May not last very long in the cold. She won't stop on her own.

AKrstabout she is a good looking animal. Do they breed them up here?
    Just pullin your leg greythorn3. Kinda puts me in the mind set of joe dirt JK. I need to find something like that for mine I am as hillbilly as they get most of the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast