Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transporting firearms via commercial air???

Default Transporting firearms via commercial air???

It's been a little while since I have transported rifles while I fly. Anything new I should know about?

I do have a few specific questions if anyone can help...
    1. Does the gun have to be registered in the name of the person transporting it?
    2. If the gun has never been registered, will I be be required to register it?
    3. How many guns can accompany you at one time?

I will certainly contact TSA before I go this route to be sure, but I am hoping to get some common knowledge before going into it sounding like an idiot.
    Thanks!

I've only traveled with my guns in-state, and it is always a very easy process. At the counter you sign a paper that goes in the gun case, they check to make sure it's unloaded, you shut the case and lock it, and off she goes. I usually carry a double rifle case with two rifles inside & a pistol with no issues. At your destination you show them id and your baggage stub and pick up your case

CGSwimmer covered everything you need to do when dealing with TSA in state or out of state. Make sure your case locks and you have the keys. Oh yeah ammo has to be separate from the guns but not in a locked case.

We don't register guns in Alaska you should know that by now.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Thanks guys, I suppose I should have specified flying to lower 48... Hence the "registration" issue. Don't want to get down there and then not be able to claim arms or not be able to get them back or something like that.

Good to see you on here, brother. Are you heading down to Michigan for some deer hunting? Texas hogs? What's on the agenda?

I've never really left Brian, just lurk more than anything anymore. I think most the hunting will have to wait a bit unfortunately, but there is plenty good to come! We'll be in touch before Thanksgiving so that you might get a better understanding! And besides, Erin killed her whitetail last night!

Default Long Guns

An option to flying with firearms (although I've never had a problem to or from Alaska) is to mail the firearm. It is perfectly legal to mail a long gun from yourself TO yourself anywhere. No registration questions are asked.

No one in Alaska has even asked about this process.

It is just a little (I mean around $10) more to mail than to fly but it eliminates any problems. I then take the ammo with me in checked baggage since it can't be mailed.

Also, handguns can't be mailed (as far as I know).

Think gun cases need TSA locks. It's a combo lock that TSA can also open with a key.

Flown lots of times with no issues. Everyone here has been spot on with their comments and no registration is required. I heard some rummblings about bullet size restriction to 7.62 when I flew last. It was funny because the girl said my .500 and 375 was less than 7.62

Never heard of a restriction of quanity and have flown with 4 weapons at once. Im sure if you had a butt load of hand guns like outfitting everyone for the OK corral, you might get a second look or attact a little attention.

I travel to/from Alaska every other year or so. In my gun case I always carry 1 rifle, tools for cleaning and re-sighting and 2 boxes of ammo.
    My rifle case has the rolling locks on it. I give the case to the check desk. I open the case---they have me inspect/prove that the firearm is empty(I remove the bolt)---I sign the orange paper and place it inside and re-lock--- I then take the case to TSA where they run it through the scanner--- I get on plane and enjoy my hunt.
    To avoid questions/ignorance I suggest placing ammo in separate checked luggage as previously mentioned. I can carry up to 2 rifles in each case with number of cases/luggage determined by airlines.

In August 2010 when i flew from Manchester, NH to Anchorage,Ak this is what i did/went through.

TSA says the gun must be in a locked approved case and UNLOADED.

The bullets CAN BE IN THE GUN CASE WITH THE GUN/MUST IN THE FACTORY AMMO BOX.=Nothing loose rolling around.

Once you get to the ticket counter and start to check in you MUST TELL THEM THAT YOU HAVE A FIREARM IN YOUR LUGGAGE.

At Manchester they had me pull the .44 Ruger Redhawk out of the Locked pistol case right at the ticket counter to make sure it was unloaded WOW..... At Anchorage when coming home they pulled me to the side and a TSA guy had you open the case to show them the gun is UNLOADED.

Other then that i'ts pretty simple. BUT definitely make sure you DECLARE FIREARM at the ticket counter before the bag gets on the conveyor to go out back and get scanned.

Hope this helps,
    Kevin

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by hunter4361 View Post
    Think gun cases need TSA locks. It's a combo lock that TSA can also open with a key.
    NO THEY DO NOT!!!!!!!!!! once your case has been inspected and the card inside it is locked until you get it back witH YOUR OWN LOCKS.. you'll loose guns locking them with tsa locks...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    It's been a little while since I have transported rifles while I fly. Anything new I should know about?

I do have a few specific questions if anyone can help...
    1. Does the gun have to be registered in the name of the person transporting it?
    2. If the gun has never been registered, will I be be required to register it?
    3. How many guns can accompany you at one time?

I will certainly contact TSA before I go this route to be sure, but I am hoping to get some common knowledge before going into it sounding like an idiot.
    Thanks!
    Josh the airline stuff is easy... unload them, pack them- declare them -show them -lock them- and pick them up when you get there...

if your bumping around states thats where it could get sticky... Alaska has really lenient transport laws on firearms in the vehicle and out hunting. find out for where you will be... IE>.. must be in locked case in the trunk of the car, three cars back from the person that has the key... may not carry ammo along with firearm on any day ending in Y.... type of rules...

there not really that bad, but you could feel like it as the trooper is explaining ignorance don't cover it.

have fun

last year down and back to AZ i brought several home with me... SEVERAL..not one issue except that the hand gun case had obviously been opened again after i locked it in Salt lake.. ( drove up there from AZ)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Cool, sounds like I'm good to go! Actually doing a little swap, taking some down to MI and bringing some back. I really hope to get this student-shooting thing underway here, but if I keep meeting resistance, I may have a number of single shots and .22 up for sale or donation, as some of them were donated to me!

How much ammo are you allowed in checked luggage now? I really hope it's a lot! Waaaay cheaper down there!!

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    Cool, sounds like I'm good to go! Actually doing a little swap, taking some down to MI and bringing some back. I really hope to get this student-shooting thing underway here, but if I keep meeting resistance, I may have a number of single shots and .22 up for sale or donation, as some of them were donated to me!

How much ammo are you allowed in checked luggage now? I really hope it's a lot! Waaaay cheaper down there!!
    ammo? you can carry two checked bags full of it if you like... i think it is like 40 lbs.

meet on face book here

One thing I've run into that I don't see mentioned here:

If your case has 4 places to lock it, it must be locked on all 4 places, two lock holes, then you must use 2 locks... I hope that makes sense?

I've had the folks at the counter ask to see my ammo to make sure it was in "factory packaging or equivalent", and sometimes they just ask. I'v transported two bricks of .22LR (when you couldn't FIND it in this state...) and two boxes (40 rounds) of .375H&H at the same time with no questions asked, other than packaging.

One other note, when I traveled PenAir to Cold Bay and back (ANC) I had to show ID and it had to match the slip I signed that went into the case. On the other hand, I brought a 9mm back from Washington once and ALaska Airlines put in on the luggag turntable. I had stopped to get a snack and when I got down to luggage it was the last thing going around all by itself, anyone could have grabbed it! I was quite suprised, so lesson learned was get to luggage ASAP to grab you gun!

Default For What It's Worth

This true story is put out for what it's worth - nothing.

Several years ago I did a spring black bear hunt out of Ketchikan. It was after the TSA was instituted and I thought I would be a "good guy" so I put TSA approved locks on my gun case. When I got to Ketchikan, the one lock had been bent open so I went to a hardware store and bought another.

When I got to Hancock Field (Syracuse, NY) - NO lock.

It was at that time that I decided to put my own lock on any gun case I transported via commercial air. No problems since although (as stated in a previous reply) I've mailed my rifles most of the time since then.

BTW, when I mail a rifle, I lock the case.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    One thing I've run into that I don't see mentioned here:

If your case has 4 places to lock it, it must be locked on all 4 places, two lock holes, then you must use 2 locks... I hope that makes sense?

I've had the folks at the counter ask to see my ammo to make sure it was in "factory packaging or equivalent", and sometimes they just ask. I'v transported two bricks of .22LR (when you couldn't FIND it in this state...) and two boxes (40 rounds) of .375H&H at the same time with no questions asked, other than packaging.

One other note, when I traveled PenAir to Cold Bay and back (ANC) I had to show ID and it had to match the slip I signed that went into the case. On the other hand, I brought a 9mm back from Washington once and ALaska Airlines put in on the luggag turntable. I had stopped to get a snack and when I got down to luggage it was the last thing going around all by itself, anyone could have grabbed it! I was quite suprised, so lesson learned was get to luggage ASAP to grab you gun!
    had that happen in vegas once... 9 guns all going around by the time i got there.... i looked at the AK air rep and asked wth? she replied some one OOPSED big time... in Fairbanks they page me to pick it up every time.. Id and claim check in hand to get them back

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    this true story is put out for what it's worth - nothing.

Several years ago i did a spring black bear hunt out of ketchikan. It was after the tsa was instituted and i thought i would be a "good guy" so i put tsa approved locks on my gun case. When i got to ketchikan, the one lock had been bent open so i went to a hardware store and bought another.

When i got to hancock field (syracuse, ny) - no lock.

It was at that time that i decided to put my own lock on any gun case i transported via commercial air. No problems since although (as stated in a previous reply) i've mailed my rifles most of the time since then.

Btw, when i mail a rifle, i lock the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    had that happen in vegas once... 9 guns all going around by the time i got there.... I looked at the ak air rep and asked wth? She replied some one oopsed big time... In fairbanks they page me to pick it up every time.. Id and claim check in hand to get them back
    scary!!!!!!!

One clarification on the TSA locks...

The whole point is that TSA has keys so if they want to inspect your case they can re-lock it when they are done. If you use your hardware store locks and they want to inspect it, then they are going to cut the locks off and your case is going to show up un-locked...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast