Thread: Reloader 19 cold weather performance

Default Reloader 19 cold weather performance

Wondered if anybody's had problems with Reloader 19 in the cold. I worked up a load this fall using 76.5gn R19 pushing a 225gn AB at 2850fps. When I went to check the drop at 300yds yesterday, they were way lower than I figured they ought to be. Playing with the drop numbers using Noslers published BC of .55 gave a calculated velocity of 2570fps......Today after letting everything cold soak to 20F, the chronograph said 2571! My 250gn loads with 68gn of H4350 shot around 2650 today. Anybody else see this or do I just have a bad batch?

I gave up in RL 19 and 22 yrs ago I gave away what I had months ago. But onto your question I noticed this when iwas using it in Arizona about 6yrs ago I was shooting in about 80-85 degree weather no problems I get to Oregon for a deer hunt it is cold and nasty I go verify zero and wth sticky bolt signs of pressure??? Made no sense but I saw 1st hand how temp sensative it was supposedly they took care of that issue. But from your story I guess not I stick with h4350 for my 338

I guess I'm about done with it too! I was wondering if my problem is compounded with the load being compressed and using CCI 250 primers (the coldest of the magnum primers from what I've read) Either way, since I do most of my hunting in the winter, its back to tried and true H4350 for me. It was a nice to see that Noslers published ballistic coeficient is fairly accurate, at least for the 225gn Accubond.

I'm real surprised more folks have not replied there seems to be alot of folks using RL19 and 22.

I've not done enough research at temperature extremes with these powders to offer anything conclusively. I will say that RL 15, 19, 22 & 25 are staple powders for my reloading. They prove to be exceptional propellants in many cartridges. As a matter of fact, if limited to only one propellant for centerfire rifle cartridges I'd select RL 22. If I could have a second it would be RL 15. I use a vast array of powders, but their performance (accuracy & velocity) has been such that I cannot imagine being without them for the cartridges I load most (6mm Rem, 25/06, 6.5x55, 270, 30/06, 338/06, 35 Whelen, 7mm STW, 340 Weatherby, 338 Federal, 416 RM) .
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

About 6 years ago I settled on sierra 250gn bullets and H4350 for all my hunting, but looking at the book numbers using reloader 19 and 225gn Accubonds made me think it was time to try something different. At 60F the R19 loads shot very well, every bit as accurate as H4350 and almost 100fps faster.

As an aside, the 100yard point of impact was almost the same as earlier this year. My first assumption was that Noslers ballistic coeficient wasn't gonna work in my rifle, it was an afterthought to try the chronograph. I was hoping that somebody would tell me they had seen this and found a good cure (hotter primer, noncompressed load, etc.) The accuracy even at 2571fps was pretty good (3.5" 5 shot group at 300yd). My real concern is whats gonna happen at -20F?

Regarding any loading, it seems best to shoot under the same conditions that you'll be hunting in.....as they say "trust, but verify"

Be aware that there can be a wide variation between different lots of powder in my experience. I chronograph EVERYTHING, even when working up loads. Most recently I verified a 100 fps difference in different lots of RL22. The biggest variation I have ever found was almost 250 fps between different powder lots - don't remember what powder. When working up loads, once I am satisfied with a particular load and I am forced to use a new powder lot I will adjust the new powder load up or down to match the previously determined optimal velocity with a given set of components. While I am on the subject, different lots of the same bullet sometimes require a change in the adjustment of the seating die due to variations in the length or ogive in order to maintain a CONSTANT OAL of the loaded round. Just part of the game - attention to detail. If a lot of you loads are worked up in the summer and shot in the winter, you may want to consider Hodgdon's Extreme line of powders in that they are advertised to be minimally affected by temperature extremes. As noted in one of the previous threads - "trust .... but verify!" Good Luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I noticed this when iwas using it in Arizona about 6yrs ago I was shooting in about 80-85 degree weather no problems I get to Oregon for a deer hunt it is cold and nasty I go verify zero and wth sticky bolt signs of pressure???
    What you describe is exactly opposite of what you'd expect with a drop in temperature. As the temperature goes down, so does the reaction rate. At lower temperatures you'd expect lower velocities and lower pressures.

I would look at something other than a drop in temperature to explain what you saw. Some items that have caused pressure signs and/or higher than expected pressures may include: new lot # of powder, primer substitution, different cases, mismeasurement of powder charge, different bullet, and using the wrong reloading data by mistake.

After the hunt I gave the gun to a buddy and never worried about it. Also I gave been obe of the unlucky ones and could never get 29 or 22 shoot in my guns but other powders they shot fine. I do use RL 15 and 25 with great results.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    What you describe is exactly opposite of what you'd expect with a drop in temperature. As the temperature goes down, so does the reaction rate. At lower temperatures you'd expect lower velocities and lower pressures.

I would look at something other than a drop in temperature to explain what you saw. Some items that have caused pressure signs and/or higher than expected pressures may include: new lot # of powder, primer substitution, different cases, mismeasurement of powder charge, different bullet, and using the wrong reloading data by mistake.

That is exactly what I was thinking. I have recorded several strings at various temps with RL-15 and velocity goes down with a drop in temp. It's widely published to be the normal trend. Hodgdon has the extreme line of powders that claim to reduce this trend but I haven't personally confirmed it.

http://www.hodgdon.com/smokeless/extreme/page2.php#top

page 6 of the next link shows an increase in pressure with an increase in temperature, good read.

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/ftp/...%20Factors.pdf

After I read shphtr's reply, I realized that I did start working this load up with an old (bought in 2000!) can of R19, and just switched to a new one....the current lot number is 85026.....It'll be interesting to chronograph some loads from this batch in the summer, to see if its just slower or if it really does have some temperature issues.

Wish I had more constructive data to contribute to this thread as I load R19 for my 338. My loads are somewhat anemic compared to some I suppose. 71.5gr, Rem brass, WLMR primer, and Hornady 225 SST or IB will shoot about 3/4 to 1" at 100 from a Ruger 77MK II. Interestingly, 70gr with Win brass, same primer, and 250gr Barnes TSX will also shoot about 1" groups and point of impact at 100 yards is only about an inch from the 225 gr loads. I keep some of each loaded in a 50 round MGM ammo box to hopefully cover different hunting scenarios.

I only wish I had access to a Chrono to check velocity of my loads, but did not buy one until very recently. For years have just followed book data and worked loads up to the highest charge possible with preference given to accuracy. I am anxious to check velocity in cold weather and then again this summer. Hopefully will not see drastic changes as I have about 4 pounds stocked up.

Interesting information and hope to see some more people reply with R19 data/weather/velocity changes.