Thread: 6.5/300 WSM Load Data???

Default 6.5/300 WSM Load Data???

I just got a rifle back from the gunsmith I had chambered in 6.5/300 WSM. I had it built on a Rem SA Titanium (originally chambered in 300 SAUM) with a 24" chrome moly Kreiger 1-8.5" twist barrel. Anybody load for this wildcat? IF SO, and you want to share, let me know any info you might have. Thanks

Sounds like a really nice shooter. Sorry I don't have any information for you.

Seems a bit odd that no one has chimed in. If you ever get it figured out please post results. I've shot the 6.5X47 using 123gr and 139gr bullets with awesome results.

Yours should go down range fast and flat.

Interesting chambering - I would guess it would be pretty much like a 6.5 x 284 except a bit faster and perhaps better able to handle a bit heavier bullets. Not sure the wildcat chambering would be worth all the inherent problems ... but who am I to talk with all the glass windows in my house - I currently have the same action (except in std. length) off to a custom gunsmith to be chambered into another "perfect" sheep rifle .... along with all the other safe queens!!!
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    Interesting chambering - I would guess it would be pretty much like a 6.5 x 284 except a bit faster and perhaps better able to handle a bit heavier bullets. Not sure the wildcat chambering would be worth all the inherent problems ... but who am I to talk with all the glass windows in my house - I currently have the same action (except in std. length) off to a custom gunsmith to be chambered into another "perfect" sheep rifle .... along with all the other safe queens!!!
    I already have the 6.5 x 284 Norma, and a 6.5 x 280 AI both built on the Rem Titanium (short and Long actions). I also have a 264 WM and a 6.5 x 06 built on a trued Colt Light rifle action. All have 24" barrels (all Lilja) and the velocities I am getting are as follows:

6.5 x 284 130 gr Accubond- 3056fps
    6.5 x 06 130 gr Accubond- 3087fps
    6.5 x 280 AI 140 gr Accubond-3011fps
    264 WM 140 Berger VLD- 3119fps

I have not got my dies yet from Redding for the 6.5x300wsm but I am going to load 140gr Accubonds, I should be able to do a little more then the 264 WM, but we will see. I also ordered a set of dies for a 25x300 WSM from Redding and am going to start that project as soon as the barrel arrives from Krieger. This should be dang close to the 257 WBY, but we will see. Again I am building that on the exact same action as the 6.5x300 WSM. I got a great deal on two of these Titaniums last spring.

With the 6.5x284 and the 6.5 WSM - are you able to seat the accubonds out near the rifling lands, and still have the loaded round fit in the magazine?

Quote Originally Posted by Vek View Post
    With the 6.5x284 and the 6.5 WSM - are you able to seat the accubonds out near the rifling lands, and still have the loaded round fit in the magazine?
    Yes.

I loaded throating rounds before the gunsmith cut the chamber on both rifles. In a Remington 700 SA you can get an OAL to about 2.850" without modification to the action. So I load my throating rounds to about 2.800" OAL and have the gunsmith cut the chamber so I can be .010" off the lands with the OAL of the throating rounds I have made up.

When loaded to this length, the 130gr and 140gr Accubonds are not seated below the ogive curve.

Quote Originally Posted by sheephunteralaska View Post
    Yes.

I loaded throating rounds before the gunsmith cut the chamber on both rifles. In a Remington 700 SA you can get an OAL to about 2.850" without modification to the action. So I load my throating rounds to about 2.800" OAL and have the gunsmith cut the chamber so I can be .010" off the lands with the OAL of the throating rounds I have made up.

When loaded to this length, the 130gr and 140gr Accubonds are not seated below the ogive curve.
    Sheephunter,

It really sounds like you have your act together. I've allways been a fan of the six P's. Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance and you have thought this out well. Keep up the good work and update with your new 6.5/300WSM results.