Thread: Another Alaska hunt with the youngins

Default Another Alaska hunt with the youngins

Spent the morning back at the widgeon pond with not only my seven year old, but also with his little cousin Timmy (also 7 years old). Thank goodness my wife hasn't gotten tired of going out yet as she was a huge help in keeping the boys in line so that I could pay attention to the birds.
    It was drizzling pretty good most of the morning with little to no breeze. I had to kick the water most of the morning to make any ripples on the pond. I carried the Mojo teal with me, but in the end I opted not to put it out. The hunt was over a pair of GHG widgeon, a pair of GHG pintails, and a single G&H mallard decoy. The birds came in as small groups of about ten at a time. They worked the pond pretty well, but nothing really committed with feet out. All birds were shot as passing shots, but I still managed a limit. Not sure where the big prime drakes are. We didn't see a single one all morning out of about 150 widgeon that came in. There are a couple sitting on Lake Eyak just down the road, but they just aren't coming into the pond I've been hunting. Didn't even see a mallard this morning. There was one just down the way from where I parked that would answer me everytime I called, but at that point I already had a limit on the game strap. He lived for another day.

One of these days I need to get down the river and shoot some mallards. The wife and I scoped out a few yesterday and found most of the ponds held between 50 and 100 mallards. Maybe that's where we'll head tomorrow!

Momma and the boys

Me packing everything back out.

Momma's favorite pic of the morning.

Way to get the boys out and get them interested! Enjoy that fine table fare!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I wish I was there with ya!! Great pics.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Great family photos. Looks like it was a productive and overal great day. I can't wait to take my two sons out when they are older. They love seeing the fish and ducks I bring home.