Thread: Snare camo

Default Snare camo

I scuffed up the bright cable of my snares but after looking at my first few sets I have to wonder, wouldn't this be more effective if the snare was painted camo? Even some black here and there would break up it's form a bit.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I boil mine in spruce or alder bark Spruce gives them gray to almost black cast and alder more of a brown. It does take a lot of alder though to make it work. The more sprucebark the darker your snares. either one will help to cut the contrast. I also take a piece of chalk and rub the snare to help bend with the snow.
    Chuck

Boiling with baking soda in the water will take off the shine of the snares. That is usually good enough, IMO. I would say most canines are caught in the dark...

x2 Boil in Baking soda and water

Baking soda first as said above. I then hit some of mine with rustoleum to get a shadow effect. I prefer not to have a solid color either dark or light. That way they will blend in with snow or without.

There is also VERY little black in nature. That being said it can stick out as much as the silver. But like Warthog said most K9's are prob snagged at dusk, dark or dawn.
    If you live your whole life afraid to die... Then you can never truly live!

An oldtimer taught me to use white chalk on snares, works real well.

Great I deas! Thanks all. I am moving my sets to a new spot and I'll give the baking soda boil a try. Think I'll hit a few with some contrasting too like nooksak shows in his pic.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.