Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You Carry....?

Question Do You Carry....?

After reading the thread on the Russian, I have to wonder...How many of you carry a firearm while fishing the Russian/other popular fishing spots when the fish are in?

Asking as I'll be heading out a fair bit more this year then last and after all the bear commotion last year was wondering if it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring the ole' Glock along just in case....

Thanks,

~Jon

The few times I have fished the Russian I was not packing. Sometimes I carried a small canister of pepper spray though. I trust the four legged beast a lot more than I do its two legged counter part. Now adays I always carry either my 44 mag or 45 depending on where I will be heading and the possible circumstances.

I usually carry a 44 mag along with pepper spray and head knowledge. I put more faith in the head knowledge than any of the other defenses. But I definitely carry.

I carry my .44 mag with me.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default packing...

I carry for the added edge.
    I agree about knowledge being the better edge.

And I love having the dog beside me as I sidestep the scatt...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

I pack heat, usually my small .40 caliber Glock, since it's quite compact. If I go way out, I pack the hot heat, the .500.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

I carry a .44 mag everytime we leave the house to go camping and fishing, especially at the Russian when I bring the kids with me.

Tim

Default .44 mag

I pack everytime I'm out. Luck favors the prepared....

I carry a 7 shot 18" barreled 870 with 3" Brenekes (and a R3 recoil pad!) when ere I am "out."

Default Ruger

Ruger's Super Redhawk Alaskan 454 Cusull's six rounds of power. I try not to leave home with out it.

Dirty Harry wannabe's scare me more than bears when I'm at the Russian. My best defense is avoidance (that goes for the bears and the DH wannabe's). The bears that I've encountered there apparently feel the same way.

Default Yes

A polite society is an armed society. The bears are much more polite after smelling Hodgon 110.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

You are right Mr. Pid I ovoid the Russian all together never have fished it, to many people to many hooks to many bears We just float on by. Let me put it this way I would not walk around up there with a peanut butter sandwich in my back pocket with/out a fire arm.

Question hand gun

I have read (no personal experience with brown bears) that spray is much more effective than a handgun against bers simply because you will probably not make a leathal hit with a handgun. So my question for those who carry is : Have you , or do you know anyone, who has successsfully defended themselves against a brown bear with a handgun.

Default No

No, I know of no one that has defended themselves. But I also know no one that carries pepper spray. It is only good for bears. If you get into a survival situation you are not going to pepper spray a ptargiman to death or a rabbit. It might be good for adding flavor after you kill one but that is about it. You can even shoot a fish if need be, the concussion will kill small fish.

If I need help I can always fire three shots, a standard form of communication for hunters. I don't think three shots of pepper spray is going to ge me any help.

Which of the two, firearm or pepper spray is more usefull in Alaska?

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

The two places we're most likely to fish among the bears is the Russian and the Newhalen. In both cases the bears are there for the same reason we are, to harvest fish. As long as we don't corner them or make stupid defenses of a few fish we have very little to worry about. The only stupid defenses I've witnessed were by fishermen with pistols. Unarmed guys yielded and had no bear issues. I have little respect for a guy who'll draw a pistol to defend 3 sockeye, especially in the proximity of dozens of other people.

I fish both places, although I prefer to fish them at times when the crowds have thinned. The fish will have thinned as well. I'd rather enjoy catching a couple of fish by myself than to catch a quick limit surrounded by throngs of strangers. The Russian River on a quiet day is one of the most beautiful places I know.

To answer the question about whether I carry a gun? Sometimes. At the Russian? No. The Newhalen? No. Have I been in close proximity to bears in those places? Yes. Very close on a couple of occasions.

Evey time I go. One time my buddy brought his gun and left it in his back pack on shore and a bear came up behind him and tore his bag up. he wishes it would have been on his chest.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    Evey time I go. One time my buddy brought his gun and left it in his back pack on shore and a bear came up behind him and tore his bag up. he wishes it would have been on his chest.

Would he have shot the bear to save his bag?

http://www.adn.com/outdoors/hunting/...-8525255c.html

The handgun saved these guys and they left their rifles behind because they weren't as easy to lug around.

Default bear attack, Russian River

If you keyword search that title on Google, you will find a plethera of URL's that provide historical data on maulings, attacks, and shootings.

This information should allow anyone to draw thier own conclusions about packing, spraying, and common sense.

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast