Thread: Why do guys "think" 458 to the body will stop charges?

Default Why do guys "think" 458 to the body will stop charges?

There's plenty of commentary to the contrary. There's also lots and lots of experience that 3006 softpoints and 12 ga slugs to the body often let 100 lb deer run for 50 yds or so. Only brain or spine hits offer the sort of instant incapacitation needed for close range charge-stopping. A heavy-recoiling, bolt action is a poor choice for this sort of thing, and at $3 per shot, nobody's going to be practicing much with a 458, either. So I consider people who favor it to be misguided.

It's rather like old Elmer Keith giving "advice" about gunfighting, when Elmer never pointed a gun at anyone in his life, and never had one pointed at him, either. Yet, just because he authored a column in a gun mag, he was the "expert" in all things gun-related.

Sounds like you are just trying to start an arguement. I don't feed the trools.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by upto View Post

It's rather like old Elmer Keith giving "advice" about gunfighting, when Elmer never pointed a gun at anyone in his life, and never had one pointed at him, either. Yet, just because he authored a column in a gun mag, he was the "expert" in all things gun-related.

I'll assume you have never read, "Hell I was there".......?

Right, gotta love a new member that already knows it all and is willing to tell everyone just how smart he is.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Have to wonder UPTO what
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Why do guys "think" 458 to the body will stop charges?
    Well just last week I was in a charge situation...

I was about 5 feet away when the guy torched a .458 Lott at me. I stopped charging and fell right down and didnt wake up for 5 minutes, then I had to charge the other way to get home real quick and change my Depends (I always wear Depends while charging)..

Now perhaps a .458 Win Mag would be different. I wont eat Stagg CHili before I do my next charge though

Now that's funny right there, I don't care who ya are!!
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by upto View Post
    offer the sort of instant incapacitation needed for close range charge-stopping. .
    If you want to stop charging you should cut up your credit cards...

I guess Jeff Cooper didn't know anything about gunfighting either- since (by your logic at least) he also authored a column in a gun mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Well just last week I was in a charge situation...

I was about 5 feet away when the guy torched a .458 Lott at me. I stopped charging and fell right down and didnt wake up for 5 minutes, then I had to charge the other way to get home real quick and change my Depends (I always wear Depends while charging)..

Now perhaps a .458 Win Mag would be different. I wont eat Stagg CHili before I do my next charge though
    Almost spit my coffee on the d***** computer screen laughin'!!! And winter just started..

I got seriously charged last week when I shorted the battery on my truck with a screwdriver. I'll be sure to use a bigger screwdriver next time so it won't hurt so bad.

I knew an old bear guide, Joe Reynolds, who is now retired from the planet. He carried an 18 1/2" barreled .458 Win. that had a muzzle brake EDM cut right into the barrel. He said he carried it because "The .458 is one gun that will just plain make a bear sit down!"

"Even if you don't make a perfect shot on a big bruin with it, at close range, anything in the center body will throw him off so you can get another one in." His words, not mine.

Bigger is better???

~~LOL!!~~ There alot in how a fella uses it........~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Been trying to stop the wife from charging for years. Don't think I've tried a Lott tough. Was looking for something a little less permanent.